Input on Minox?????????????

BK":1pe0ucrb said:
Scotty, what reticle did you get in your 2-10x?

I got the BDC. Great reticle for the 338WM and like cartridges. It is very simple and really good for a hunting type scope. Pretty happy with it actually. Pretty similar to the B&C reticle.

Charlie,
You may want to look out the window as the Passenger Pigeon is back!
There have been lots of Swarvoski scope selling on ebay, for the last couple of years,at very reasonable prices, we have handled some for customers, and right at the moment there is a few you might want to check out some of these; just for fun, there is some gooooood buys out there . Here are some minty ones for short money!
Ebay #360424340576 ; or #360389965887 or #220925371951 these are for sale> this week <but I have have saved a dozens more, in my watch list since last summer, that were all similar deals. I missed one just before Christmas that was #320813895205 and was a smokin deal in one. Smart buyers are getting half prices deals in these all the time. My brother in law is a dealer; and buys these all the time; but he also had 30 new ones in stock; at Christmas time, when we visited them. So he is moving quite a few of them, and keeps me up to date on what they are bringing.
These are all great buys, and reflect what I said about the fact, that they really dont hold their value, as well as one might think they would .
I just had a buddy getting a divorce and he offered me a Swarvoski Spotting scope with their tripod he had paid $4200 for less than two years ago . He wanted to dump it and offered it to me for 2 grand but I didnt really want it so passed on it. He called me a week later and told me that he got rid of it but had to accept $1700 for it. There are some VERY good buys out there if you are looking for them.

35 Whelen":2ewx7h1j said:
Charlie,
There have been lots of Swarvoski scope selling on ebay, for the last couple of years,at very reasonable prices, we have handled some for customers, and right at the moment there is a few you might want to check out some of these just for fun there is some gooooood buys out there . Here are some minty ones for short money!
Ebay #360424340576 ; or #360389965887 or #220925371951 these are for sale> this week <but I have have saved a dozens more, in my watch list since last summer, that were all similar deals. Smart buyers are getting half prices deals in these all the time. My brother in law is a dealer; and buys these all the time; but he also had 30 new ones in stock; at Christmas time, when we visited them. So he is moving quite a few of them, and keeps me up to date on what they are bringing.
These are all great buys, and reflect what I said about the fact, that they really dont hold their value, as well as one might think they would .
I just had a buddy getting a divorce and he offered me a Swarvoski Spotting scope with their tripod he had paid $4200 for less than two years ago . He wanted to dump it and offered it to me for 2 grand but I didnt really want it so passed on it. He called me a week later and told me that he got rid of it but had to accept $1700 for it. There are some VERY good buys out there if you are looking for them. There is NOT that much money floating around . I listed a bunch of bullets on here a week ago lots of them new in the unopened boxes . I took Midways prices and reduced mine to 60% of their prices, and have not had one bit of interest in them???? Go figure??

Earle, that Swaro Spotting Scope and Tripod is a DEAL!!! Give me a ring if another Swaro comes up like that! Scotty

Scotty,
That was of course the exception and had I know you were a starter for that sorta glass I would have grabed it for you.
It was a smokin deal, but I didnt want to tie up the money right now ............... had he told me the $1700 in the first place I probably would have weakened as all the Alaskan guides want those so I am sure I could have found a home for it............. that is NOT a normal deal of course, and he was pushing to get it outta sight before his divorce gets any worse................
I love their glass and feel it is at the very top of the heap, but would just never want to buy it new in the box dollars . I did buy a pair of Swarvoski Binos from him in 7X42s, that make looking at nite like daytime! Outradious light gattering binos. [Great poachers glass]LOL
They are for sale to any one looking for good glasses reasonable..............

Footnote: I would like to clarify this eyepiece discussion one final time; so it does not get misinterped;
I was not implying that a Minox Scope has a "lesser field of view" or "eye relief" than the other scopes it does NOT it excells in both areas. I measure them different than Charlie does; and found them to be 5mm smaller in size across the Ocular lens, than my Zeiss scopes, so what difference does that figure out to be ??? About 17% smaller ................ assuming the image is exactly the same in quality, and field of view, the Minox physical image is still 17% smaller. Simple as that, it has nothing to do with the field of view of the scopes, or the eye relief, as they are very similar and I found nothing about the Minox scopes, that I didnt like, except the fact that the eyepiece is 17% smaller compared to the scopes I am used to, and I didnt like that. If you look thru them, and like what you see, then you are all set, as they are without a doubt the best bang for the buck out there!

35 Whelen":xnezpyqe said:
Scotty,
That was of course the exception and had I know you were a starter for that sorta glass I would have grabed it for you.
It was a smokin deal, but I didnt want to tie up the money right now ............... had he told me the $1700 in the first place I probably would have weakened as all the Alaskan guides want those so I am sure I could have found a home for it............. that is NOT a normal deal of course, and he was pushing to get it outta sight before his divorce gets any worse................
I love their glass and feel it is at the very top of the heap, but would just never want to buy it new in the box dollars . I did buy a pair of Swarvoski Binos from him in 7X42s, that make looking at nite like daytime! Outradious light gattering binos. [Great poachers glass]LOL
They are for sale to any one looking for good glasses reasonable..............

Footnote: I would like to clarify this eyepiece discussion one final time; so it does not get misinterped;
I was not implying that a Minox Scope has a "lesser field of view" or "eye relief" than the other scopes it does NOT it excells in both areas. I measure them different than Charlie does; and found them to be 5mm smaller in size across the Ocular lens, than my Zeiss scopes, so what difference does that figure out to be ??? About 17% smaller ................ assuming the image is exactly the same in quality, and field of view, the Minox physical image is still 17% smaller. Simple as that, it has nothing to do with the field of view of the scopes, or the eye relief, as they are very similar and I found nothing about the Minox scopes, that I didnt like, except the fact that the eyepiece is 17% smaller compared to the scopes I am used to, and I didnt like that. If you look thru them, and like what you see, then you are all set, as they are without a doubt the best bang for the buck out there!

For 1700 and a Swaro Scope, I would have made something happen!

I agree, the Minox is a good piece of glass for the money. I have never measured anything on the scopes. I just like the way they look. My ignorance is my bliss I think. They are the clearest scopes I own and compete very well against the 3.5x10 VX3's I like so much as well. Good comparison's. Great feedback by everybody. Now, lets get shooting, only about 9 months till elk and deer season again!

SJB358":28e8b4r8 said:
35 Whelen":28e8b4r8 said:
Charlie,
There have been lots of Swarvoski scope selling on ebay, for the last couple of years,at very reasonable prices, we have handled some for customers, and right at the moment there is a few you might want to check out some of these just for fun there is some gooooood buys out there . Here are some minty ones for short money!
Ebay #360424340576 ; or #360389965887 or #220925371951 these are for sale> this week <but I have have saved a dozens more, in my watch list since last summer, that were all similar deals. Smart buyers are getting half prices deals in these all the time. My brother in law is a dealer; and buys these all the time; but he also had 30 new ones in stock; at Christmas time, when we visited them. So he is moving quite a few of them, and keeps me up to date on what they are bringing.
I just had a buddy getting a divorce and he offered me a Swarvoski Spotting scope with their tripod he had paid $4200 for less than two years ago . He wanted to dump it and offered it to me for 2 grand but I didnt really want it so passed on it. He called me a week later and told me that he got rid of it but had to accept $1700 for it. There are some VERY good buys out there if you are looking for them. There is NOT that much money floating around . I listed a bunch of bullets on here a week ago lots of them new in the unopened boxes . I took Midways prices and reduced mine to 60% of their prices, and have not had one bit of interest in them???? Go figure??

Earle, that Swaro Spotting Scope and Tripod is a DEAL!!! Give me a ring if another Swaro comes up like that! Scotty

I'm right in line behind Scotty!

SJB358":13pdtx9t said:
Now, lets get shooting, only about 9 months till elk and deer season again!

Some of us have until 31 January to hunt white-tails, still, Scotty! No range time for me until after the season!

And as for the ocular diameter, WSM, I'm not following how you measure it. I've got a Conquest, and the outside diameter of the housing is 41mm, and the Minox is 39mm. Even knowing the Minox lens is a little smaller diameter in the housing than the Zeiss lens (in comparison) the two lenses are still only about 2mm difference when I measure them. I guess we're measuring differently. No big deal - to each his own. I certainly understand you have to get gear that "fits" you. I tell folks all the time that what is perfect for my eyes and physical configuration isn't always perfect for others. Case in point is down in the lower lines, when you compare a Nikon Buckmaster with the old Bushnell Elite 3200. The Buckmaster is supposed to have better light transmission, but for my eyes, the 3200 is the better fit. Now, I have a hunting buddy and for his eyes, the Buckmaster is the better fit. It's all in matching the gear to the hunter/shooter. Appreciate the insight on how you view these scopes.

I want to put this size thing to bed ....................
I just spoke to Greg Clark the tech rep on the phone at Minox USA in NH; a few minutes ago and to seattle this measuring thing compleatly. He just told me that the actual data on the factory deminsions of the Ocular lens on both the VX3 and the VX5's is >>>>30MM<<<<< In measuring my Zeiss scopes, they all come in at just over 35mm with a set of Brown&Sharp digital calipers; as squarely as I can measure the lens from the outside edge to the outside edge of the lens of the them, inside the eyepiece where you actually look through it . So thats the end of it, from my perspective. Where I went to school, that was 5 mm difference. So if you are measuring yours different than that; I respect that too. He also told me; that they had most certainly heard plenty about this; that to keep and eye peeled in MARCH for the introduction of a NEW series; that will be showing up, and hinted that I should take another look at them; as he felt this eyepiece issue could be enhanced in the new scope! So there you have it from the source, and not from me.
Their tel # is 866-469-3080

Interesting. I'll be anxious to see if they simply add a line, or if they discontinue the ZA3/5 series and start anew. I can't imagine it would be cost effective nor make good business sense to scrap what they've got already. I think it will thoroughly damage their brand if they do.

Dubyam;
He said they will be adding a new line; and are NOT discontinuing the VX3 or VX5s at all . So they will both be still in their line up for 2012. But are adding this new scope in both 1" and 30mm offerings. He hinted it is going to be a step up from what is available now; and so it should be a beauty! Cant wait to see this new one. :wink:

I always enjoy seeing the new lines. The progress is breath-taking at times. At other times, it takes me back to efforts that were ahead of their time. However, in optics, it seems that the product only gets better, and it is pretty good now. Entry-level scopes today are often better than top-line scopes of a couple of decades past.

Sounds like Minox is committed to the riflescope market. If they bring out a new line that's a little more in feature and design, and price them up a bit, it sounds like they may create a new pricepoint between the very high end euro glass and the current Zeiss Conquest pricing. I can't imagine what they'll do to be "better" than the Conquest, or than their current ZA3/5 series, as all of these are pretty stellar glass by every measure. It should get interesting.

In fact, it appears that with the introduction of the Meopta Meopro scopes, and the ongoing Conquest line, that a slight paradigm shift in optics is occurring, in that one can get phenomenally better glass now for a lower price than was available just a decade or two ago. It's going to be good to see how all this turns out (pun intended!).

Hmmm....

So do I grab the good deal on a ZA3 or -5 now or do I wait?

Decisions, decisions....

I would grab a ZA3 now and call it a day. Not enough difference between the 2x10 to really matter and you can get any reticle you want with the 3x9 as well. Don't forget about that Awesome 1.5x8 either. That is a versatile scope as well.

I wish I had the coin for the 1.5-8x, Scotty. I'm sure it's spectacular. I've got a little project in mind that I can't fully elucidate right now, but a 1.5-8x would be nearly perfect for it. Of course, that's another $400 and right now that project won't support another $400 in appropriations. Maybe soon, though. Hopefully they'll still have a couple of the little buggers left. Can't wait to get the 4-20 mounted. Got it out Friday evening and looked through it again. Clear like gin, and bright like sunshine. And that was looking out my upstairs window into the rain at dusk. Amazing.

SJB358":22iq3ruc said:
I would grab a ZA3 now and call it a day. Not enough difference between the 2x10 to really matter and you can get any reticle you want with the 3x9 as well. Don't forget about that Awesome 1.5x8 either. That is a versatile scope as well.

They don't have any of those on sale now (the 1.5-8's).

I'm also not enamored of a 32mm objective. I don't like 50's, either. I am ok with my VX7's 45mm bell, but wouldn't want much more size there.

To me, it comes down to the 3-9 ZA-3 vs the 2-10 ZA-5. The ZA-5 should have just a slight edge in low light with it turned down to 2x. The difference in the 2 is $50, and I'm not convinced I'll really notice or use the difference in exit pupil by having 1x lower magnification to use in poor light.

I'm leaning toward the 3-9x40 once I move my Leupold out the door. If the guys on HuntingPA don't want it, I'll post it here...or ebay it.

That 257 just shoots too dang well to let it not have a really clear scope on it. :)

dubyam":3lsecr37 said:
elucidate

Hey, we already have Doc Mike using $20 words on here... I'm not sure I can handle another guy sending me to dictionary.com... :grin:

If you decide to go with the Minox, it would look something like this.

M70FWT257Bob.jpg

Come on, Kurt. Even in a recession, my words are worth $25! :evil: Give me my due.

CC,

I sure do love those Featherweights. They just look wicked. That scope looks good seated up there.

Thanks. This is my first M70 and so far I've been happy with it. I haven't noticed any appreciable advantages or disadvantages over my M700s. I like them alot too.

I compared these scopes again today at dusk for light gathering with all scopes set at ~4.5x. This time they rated in this order: VX-III 2.5-8x36, ZA5 2-10x40, Elite 4200 3-9x40, and Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. Difference between first and last place was only 1 minute. :?

Who knows... I guess my eyes aren't up to making such decisions anymore. Even when I opened up the scopes to their lowest setting I didn't notice anything demonstrably different.

Back