Introduced newbies to antelope meat...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
That was so much fun! I went over to some non-hunting friends place and cooked them dinner, in their kitchen. Wouldn't let them in the kitchen, made them stay on the other side of the counter.

Baked taters, then diced up onion & peppers in the skillet with olive oil, also did a lot of skinless chicken in a skillet with olive oil, black pepper & garlic.... Mmmmm!

And in the last few minutes I put on four little antelope backstrap steaks... :mrgreen: Just cooked them lightly, rare/medium rare...

Served it all up with some decent red wine. These are good folks, but are not used to cooking with fresh meat and fresh veggies. Lots of canned & boxed food in their normal menu. I felt they needed a little inspiration. The meal took an hour, from the time I put the taters in the oven to the time I served. I was in the kitchen, busy the whole time, and conversation was animated. It was a great evening.

At the table, they both eyed the antelope steaks warily. She took small bites and enjoyed. He took one bite, then the entire backstrap steak vanished in seconds! He was delighted to learn there was one more, still warm, in the skillet! It vanished just as quickly.

Neither of them are anti-hunting, they just haven't done it themselves. They're looking for Hunters Safety courses now... :mrgreen: I did explain that we don't have antelope season in Washington, yet, but that we do have decent hunting for elk, whitetail, mulies and blacktail.

Guy

Isn't it wonderful the way in which well-prepared game transforms people's outlook? Great story, Guy. Glad they enjoyed the steaks. How did you manage to share your backstraps, however? :grin:

Guy Miner":2wi5x9ql said:
Yeah, sharing the backstraps... That was a tough call...

I'm telling ya', they would have to be some kinda' friends. I nearly haver apoplexy when required to share a T-bone with my grandchildren. I explain that they really aren't old enough to appreciate a T-bone and that they'd really like a wiener better. My wife normally gives me one of those looks--the one that indicates I could be sleeping out in the truck for a week or so. I've caved every time so far.

Outstanding Guy!
It's actions like what you displayed that make future hunters.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":25j5ef55 said:
Outstanding Guy!

Vince

Even if they never hunt, they will be hard pressed to ever speak ill of those who bring home game.

Nothing healthier than true organic meat! Have you ever tried speed goat in a bourbon marinade? It really tames the sage taste if it has it.

DrMike":2ynwx9t9 said:
Vince":2ynwx9t9 said:
Outstanding Guy!

Vince

Even if they never hunt, they will be hard pressed to ever speak ill of those who bring home game.

agree on both counts. Well done Guy! And you enjoyed yourself as well. Worth sharing those straps. You are a better man than me. Although....... An empty freezer is pretty good justification for another trip to Wyoming. CL

cloverleaf":nwctew8r said:
Although....... An empty freezer is pretty good justification for another trip to Wyoming. CL

Already giving that thought some serious consideration... :mrgreen:

That sounds excellent Guy. Never eaten an antelope backstrap but now I might need to find one!

Antelope, deer, moose, elk, buffalo, chicken fried is hard to beat, if you dislike the so called wild taste thaw it in hotwater and drain the blood from the meat , it will be grey but mild and tasty..I also cut it thin and fry it hot on a iron plate, cover it with Pico de Gallo, or the hot sauce of choice, with beans hot biscuits, white gravy, and mashed potatoes...

As old age creeps up on me and a couple of stints in the ticker, I dropped the biscuits!! I can eat wild meat, fish and chicken on my heart diet...should have started sooner I'm told...they don't understand I did, I been eating wild game since birth..all Ive done is add fish and chicken!!

I would love to try antelope backstrap, just can't ever seem to draw a tag.

It's pretty tough in both Oregon and Idaho to get a rifle tag for a buck antelope.

Maybe I could convince my wife to move to Wyoming? Probably not.

Dale

Just go hunt in Wyoming.
It's a fun time and drawing a tag is easy.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DrMike":vksaoxye said:
Guy Miner":vksaoxye said:
Yeah, sharing the backstraps... That was a tough call...

I'm telling ya', they would have to be some kinda' friends. I nearly haver apoplexy when required to share a T-bone with my grandchildren. I explain that they really aren't old enough to appreciate a T-bone and that they'd really like a wiener better. My wife normally gives me one of those looks--the one that indicates I could be sleeping out in the truck for a week or so. I've caved every time so far.

:) :) :) :) Darn generous fellas :) :) :) :) Well Done Had I some antelope or ELK in the freezer, I might not be so generous. Incidentally, I am a vital part of the BEEF industry.... CONSUMER!! CL

Back