IOR Valdata 4x32....

A

Anonymous

I had the opportunity to help a coworker set up a new rifle tonight.

He'd purchased a Ruger Hawkeye in .270Win and an IOR Valdata 4x32 scope. The scope has too short of a tube to mount on a long action...just 1/8" too short. An extension ring will take care of that.

On the other hand- the optics on the scope were WAY better than I expected for the price tag. I didn't have any preconceived notions of what the IOR would be, I expected something like a Leopold 4x33, I'd have to say it was better.

Jena scopes were first rate. These were the East German steal from Zeiss. I note that the Valdada are made in Romania. I'm assuming that is to hold down costs. I have never handled one of these, but I would anticipate that they are fine optics.

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Valdada actions and assume the they can be blue-printed like any other action. Although they may be a little harder to sell than say a 98 Mauser which has been blue-printed>

For clarification, I note that Valdata are part of the Optolyth and Jena (Docter) group. I've handled a couple of the Jena scopes, and though they were old when I laid hands on them, they were top flight products. The reputation of the parent company would lead me to try these scopes. They sound akin to the relationship of the Conquest line to Zeiss.

Doesn't Valdata make the glass for most of the top scope companies and some of the medium class companies?

They use glass from Schott Glasswerke, same as Zeiss. The scopes look somewhat bulky, reminding me of the Vortex Razor line.

Yeah- this one was kinda bulky. In fact the shallow angles of the ocular and objective bells are what is making the offset ring a requirement. It has a steel tube which adds to weight....something like 14oz. The more compact Leopold 4x fits with no issue although there isn't much tube left, but it works.

Of course, it's not going on a lightweight and this guy is brand new shooter so a .270 on a 8.5 pound rifle won't be a bad thing at all.

I need to talk to my cousin, he had a 3-9x-ish (maybe 2-8x) IOR Vadalia on a tacticool MRC custom .308. I recall he really liked it.

As I remember, Jena was the site of the Original Zeiss plant before WW II. They have always had kind of a relationship with Zeiss and got technical support from Zeiss after the war.

Finally got this thing mounted... The glass was nothing short of incredible. The only beef I have with the scope are the tube length is too short for a long action (at least a Ruger action) and the eye relief isn't what you'll find on an American scope. Both of those issues are not limited to IOR.. lots of Euro scopes have those issues.

They do, but Valdata scope have a good reputation. I have never used one but people seem to hold them in esteem.

I can see why... just crystal clear optics. I really like the 4A reticle too. 1/2" adjustments and the clicks felt positive.

Should be a really nice rig- M77 Hawkeye in .270Win with that really nice 4x.... finished weight with the sling was 9 lb on the nose. Should be a really easy shooting rig.

Should be reasonable. My .270 weighs about 9 pounds, maybe a bit more and the recoil is very reasonable.

Back