Irish Setter Boots!

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Picked up a pair of Shadow Treks the other day and thought I'd give a review.
They are comfortable, water proof, and built to last. The laces are good quality, not the kind that fray and break after a couple weeks. No exposed stitching around the sole to weather and fall apart. I wore them around the yard for about five hours the first day, trying to break them in, and my feet felt great!. They would be great for the hunter on the move. The sole has an aggressive tread for climbing up and down hills. They are a great boot.

Attachments

• 100_1250.JPG
    100_1250.JPG
    884 KB · Views: 3,487
  • 100_1248.JPG
    913.2 KB · Views: 3,487
That's a great report, SE. I've always felt that Irish Setters were well built and reasonable quality. Those particular boots are attractive.

SE,

Those look like a nice boot.

I have Danner Elk Hunters sold through Cabelas.

JD338

I got a pair of Muck " Woody elite" hunting boots... for trudging through swamps, crossing small streams and sitting in the tree stand on cold mornings. So far, so good. If it is really warm they are a bit much for hiking, but otherwise very comfortable.

Good to hear about the Irish Setters. I'm looking for a second pair of boots that are a little lighter than my Danners. The Danners are real good but on the heavy side. Been hearing some good things about the Irish Setters

billbam":v4zqofs3 said:
Good to hear about the Irish Setters. I'm looking for a second pair of boots that are a little lighter than my Danners. The Danners are real good but on the heavy side. Been hearing some good things about the Irish Setters

They are light as a feather!

I don't even know what model of Danners I have. I know that this pair has lasted me a lot longer than my last three pairs of Pronghorns... I think I was lucky to get about eight months out of them. Busting through thick brush for 50 or so hours a week was a little tough on them. Now that the nasty stuff is about done, I might try another boot... maybe those Irish Setters will be the ticket.

I need some new boots for the upcoming season. Thanks for the tip! Haven't owned Irish Setters for a looong time. I'll check them out.

I have a set of Irish Setter boots that have lasted two snowmobile seasons, three elk seasons, and three years of winter farm work. They are shot now, but they were the best boots I have ever owned. They were 1000 gr thinsolate. I will be replacing them this winter with some more Irish Setter boots. They beat the crap out of any Danner I have ever owned.

I received a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers:

341533-p-2x.jpg

from my boss as a thank you for a record quarter of revenue last summer. The first time I put them on I wore them for about 4hrs around the house and yard, just to break them in a bit. Turns out they didn't need to be broke in at all. Comfortable from the first moment, and have only gotten better over a season of hunting. I managed to get two deer this year while trekking around in them. I've all but given up wearing my older pair of Rockys, which are still good boots but nothing like these Setters. I don't think I'll ever try another brand of boot if they keep wearing like this. I put at least 20-30mi on mine hiking the mountain where I hunt this year, and they're well worth the $200 or so you'll have to shell out for them.

Those look like good mountain boots Dubyam. I like the all leather boots like that. They really seem to hold up well.

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to chime in anyways.

Like Dubyam I bought a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers last summer. Previously I had a set of Kamik's that I eventually walked out of over 7 years of hard elk hunting. Great boots for sure. This time though, I wanted an all leather boot. Ended up with the 12" insulated version.

Scotty, they are excellent mountain boots. Never lost footing in super slimy snow and stayed warm and dry no matter where I went. Like Dub, I found they needed no breaking in as they felt broke in right out of the box. Yet, as he states, they get better the longer you wear them.

If you shop around you can find these sub $200. Think I paid $169 for mine.

Just about the only thing I can add is, watch out for slick, moss-covered rocks with a thin layer of water or ice. Very slippery. Fell twice on my lease last season. But it was the same scenario both times - and I don't think any other boots (short of ice claws) would have stopped me from slipping. Still loving mine:

3453db66.jpg

They are certainly good looking boots. I may have to look into a new pair for my old feet.

I am running those Kennetrek Extreme Hunters this year. I do like the looks of those Irish Setters though. Can't beat all leather boots, except for weight.. I know I shouldn't complain about boot weight, but it is nice to cut corners when you can!

Back