Is the .30-06 that much better than my .280 Remington

Hello,
I believe that you should consider your shooting and hunting needs. No one can argue that the 30/06 is an icon. The 06 can handle a large variety of bullet weights and powder charges. You may also consider that the 06 has taken almost every big game species in North America. However, I believe this question can only be answered by the individual hunter/ shooter. Perhaps you may consider the fact that the 30/06 is about 114 years old and almost every rifle manufacture currently produces the caliber.

Hello,
For the average hunter 200 yards is a reasonable distance to respectfully harvest game animals. As I previously stated, the question comes down to your individual needs. If you are a long range shooter you maywant the .280, but a respectful hunter must weigh the ethics of taking a long range shot. I have carried rifles and hunted for 37 years. I have missed deer and I can honestly say I do not want to wound an animal. The majority of Hunters I know feel the same way.
Doni
(USA Ret)

Welcome aboard, Doni. A couple of excellent and thoughtful first posts. Hope to see you posting frequently in the future. Again, welcome aboard.

Doni,

Welcome to the forum.
What you said is all true.
And, that's why I'm going to give the 06 an honest try. Because it's just that good!
I'll continue to shoot my .280, but will use the 06 as well.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":2rsuviqo said:
Doni,

Welcome to the forum.
And, that's why I'm going to give the 06 an honest try. Because it's just that good!

Hawk

One advantage of the 30/06 is you can actually download your rifle and then use 30/30 bullets. I hunt in the woods my farthest shot will be 100 yards but the 170 Nosler 30/30 Partition worked very well last year for me on one deer at 2600FPS. I want to see more going forward and will see how well these custom rounds work going forward.

michsteve":1prnqpdf said:
HAWKEYESATX":1prnqpdf said:
Doni,

Welcome to the forum.

Hawk

One advantage of the 30/06 is you can actually download your rifle and then use 30/30 bullets. I hunt in the woods my farthest shot will be 100 yards but the 170 Nosler 30/30 Partition worked very well last year for me on one deer at 2600FPS. I want to see more going forward and will see how well these custom rounds work going forward.

I’d bet you won’t ever be disappointed. Pretty much a 300 Savage right there and they’ve been stacking up bucks for a long time! Cool load, if you get a chance, share your load.

michsteve,

You bring up a very good point. The 06 can be loaded down, and approximate lower velocity .30 cal cartridges.
I have a .300 Savage, and I can definitely load the 06 down the velocities of the .300 Savage, and still have a really good deer slayer.

Hawk

SJB358":3ci58422 said:
michsteve":3ci58422 said:
HAWKEYESATX":3ci58422 said:
Doni,

Welcome to the forum.

Hawk

I’d bet you won’t ever be disappointed. Pretty much a 300 Savage right there and they’ve been stacking up bucks for a long time! Cool load, if you get a chance, share your load.
LOL We were thinking of the same thing at the same time!

COKE!

Back