Is there a Better Burn Chart?

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
Is there a better burn chart that gives more information available? Example, I've been out of Reloader 17 for some time and am now getting very low on what I had loaded. The burn charts list Reloader 17 at 134, H4350 at 133, and Accurate 4350 at 135. But without more data or purchasing both and testing how do you know which is actually closer to the burn rate of 17. I've used the standard burn charts in the past and have found that one number above or below doesn't always make a good substitue.

Someone with more knowledge can explain, but different cartridges produce different burn rates using the same powders.

I am having promising results with Staball 6.5 in 25-284 and 30-06, where I had good results with RX17

I4895 and W760 to replace RX17 in 308 with heavy bullets

Maybe ask for a Quikload for your particular rifle.

to me , a burn rate chart is pretty much useless info . quickload gives the info I wanted . if you want to give your ammo specs , one of us guys will give a quickload powder chart . we would need to know BBL length , what cartridge you're loading , and the bullet being used , and bullet weight. still no guaranties on accuracy , but you will be able to see case fill , and velocity .

Last edited:
Burn rate charts are just a guide. I don't rely on it, but use common sense and check multiple reloading manuals and powder selections in Quickload on a given caliber. Example #133 on the burn rate chart is H4350, and its a single base powder and temp stable compared to #134 which is RL 17 which is a double base powder and is not temp stable as H4350. Both powders are next to each other on the charts, but the characteristics and the way they burn are different. Powder burn rate charts only provide general info and burn rates may vary from application to application. I do not choose powders by looking at the burn rate charts.

Back