Is there an all-around perfect cartridge???

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
Mods...this may not belong here but I did not know where else to put it??

Well, is there an all-around perfect "production" cartridge. I limit this to "production" b/c not everyone is able to afford or purchase non-production, custom firearms...having said that, I am sure someone will chime in with a custom type cartridge and that is fine. I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times, but let's look at it this way:

If there was one perfect cartridge in a production rifle that you could go to the gunshop and buy AND you could only afford 1 rifle for ALL N/A game...WHAT WOULD THAT CARTRIDGE BE???

As they...FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Well for ALL N/A game I would go with the 300 WSM.If you take the big bears out of the mix I would stick with the 270 WSM. 8)

I am sure most people will pick some big earsplittingcaboomermagnum,but they are not for me. :p

For all game, including the big bears in NA, it would be the 300 Win Mag.
With a vast selection of bullets available, one can hunt everything from mice to moose. IMHO, the optimum bullet weight would be 200 grs.

JD338

338 Win Mag with Accubonds is the ultimate all around hunting rig. I would sell it and buy a 338 RUM myself. :wink:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

300 or 338 RUM in my opinion. I'd opt for the 300 with a 180 AccuBond or ballistic tip since I'd do more medium to big game hunting than moose and lager then I'd go with a 200 Partition or AccuBond. Of course making a switch barrel rifle with both calibers would be really cool. Oh and I would get a Remington CDL and put a brake on it before I ever shot it.

I would have to say the 30-06.
It's not my favorite but there are so many different cartriges that are based from the 06 case. Load it with 220gr round nose or 110 gr sp and you will be covered for all norht american game.
My favorite right now is the 280.

all north america, 338 winchester magnum, lower 48, 300 winchester magnum. any of the big 4 (remington 700, ruger 77, savage, winchester) for the rifle. all are good. ammo over the counter everywhere

JD338":vrcl8kkv said:
For all game, including the big bears in NA, it would be the 300 Win Mag.
With a vast selection of bullets available, one can hunt everything from mice to moose. IMHO, the optimum bullet weight would be 200 grs.

JD338

+1 on the 300 win.

For all NA Big game, I'd have to go w/ a 338 win mag just because there is no way in haties that you would get me to go after a kodiak with anything smaller. If I was going to go after kodiak I would probably prefer a .375 mag too. Maybe I'm a wimp, but at least I'll admit it LOL!

Sure, a 30-06 would be sufficient in a pinch, but my peace of mind is worth more than the price of another rifle. ;)

Man...what a response rate. I guess there is actually a "perfect" cartridge out there.

There are way to many variables to make a accurate decision, I used a '06 then I went to a 350, but I also hunt with a 300 yard max shooting distance.

I've shot a whole lot more Prairie dogs and coyotes then I've shot Kodiak, so I'd have to go with the .270 Winchester. I can shoot Prairie dogs all day with 90gr Sierra HP, and turn around and kill an ElK with 150gr Partitions. It shoots flat enough for Antelope, and I can get ammo for it anywhere....Of course if you are asking about an Alaska rifle, the it's the .338 Win Mag, hands down.

In N/A I would not hesitate to go with a good .338 win mag, love mine with a 26 inch barrel it will push 225 gr accubonds as fast and as flat as a .270 win with 150 grs. If I want faster loads I load up some 180 or 200 accubonds. Rifle would have to be stainless, in a remington, or winchester prefferably. But from the sounds of things they are all good anymore. I like the longer 26 inch barrel because i'm young and in shape the extra barrel weight is not an issue and worth the velocity gains to me. Mine wears a VXIII 3.5-10 with the B&C reticle and I think that if I had to only have one rifle I might go with a 4.5-14 with the Boone and Crocket set up.

But really who all in this room has one or wants one gun? Everybody needs a good rim fire!

m1aggie01":2o1kndrk said:
Mods...this may not belong here but I did not know where else to put it??

Well, is there an all-around perfect "production" cartridge. I limit this to "production" b/c not everyone is able to afford or purchase non-production, custom firearms...having said that, I am sure someone will chime in with a custom type cartridge and that is fine. I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times, but let's look at it this way:

If there was one perfect cartridge in a production rifle that you could go to the gunshop and buy AND you could only afford 1 rifle for ALL N/A game...WHAT WOULD THAT CARTRIDGE BE???

As they...FIRE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
......................................IMO, there is no such thing as a "perfect" production cartridge!! Some however, are better than others!................The perfect cartridge would apply more to the game being hunted by matching the round to the game.................But! Since this is a one round choice, I`ll go with any 30 caliber magnum here for reloading versatility, to handle varmits up to and including all N/A big game, ie., 300 WSM, 300 Winny, 300 Wby., 300 RUM!!...............If one is strictly hunting the N/A dangerous stuff, without any doubt, the .375 Ruger would get my nod and is perfect for that application!!.........The 375 H&H has been on top of the 375 pile for almost 100 years now. Well! Here comes the .375 Ruger; a better looking round, is more efficient and is a little better ballistically as well..............

My perfect cartridge just had its 100th birthday, and is chambered in every brand of rifle: that would be the .30 Gov't of 1906 -- or .30-'06 in popular terms.

jim

No such thing. And if there were, in this age of magnumitis, most would not know it if they saw it. And even if I no longer have one . . .Long live the 30-06 and it's children.

Long

hey guys,,,my voice,,,338 win mag for all north america game species,,,it'll drop anything you aim it at in it's tracks,,,has a 12 gauge 3 inch kick,,,and has velocities almost up to 3,000 fps with a 215 grain bullet depending on the rifle , load,powder,and primer,,,my bet,,,,put a POLL up for the cartridges mentioned,,,hands down,,,338 win mag,,,,thank you,,,joe :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back