Is this .308 Load appropriate for Moose?

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
I Finally found a good an accurate load for my Browing BLR .308 WIN - WIN Brass, CCI200 Primers, 150 TTSX and 46 grains of RL15. All other loads (including varget load above and below 46 grains) I've tested thus far have been in the 1.5" - 2" - acceptable hunting accuracy, but as a handloader, I'm always striving for MOA.

My pet varget load has now shot three 3-shot groups that are have averaged .78" and a fourth shot for each group has not exceeded 1 MOA. The question - this load is intended for moose and the velocity of this pet load is only 2656 fps. Is this velocity adequate for Moose using this bullet (shots would be limited to 250 yards or less with this rifle)?

Thanks

N.B. - I surprised how narrow the performance window is - a half grain above and below 46 grains and the groups are in the 1.5" range.

Although I perfer heavier bullets for big game, I think you will be just fine with the 150 gr E-Tip for moose.
Put the bullet where it needs to go and you will be reaching for your razor sharp knife.

JD338

Sorry JD338, I meant 150 TTSX - you replied before I finished my Edit. In any case, I'm guessing that you would have also said the same thing about the 150 TTSX (another mono-metal).

thanks

I would prefer a heavier bullet or a higher velocity. Nevertheless, there is sufficient "oomph" to tackle a moose with that load.

sithlord6512":u85zxndp said:
Sorry JD338, I meant 150 TTSX - you replied before I finished my Edit. In any case, I'm guessing that you would have also said the same thing about the 150 TTSX (another mono-metal).

thanks

No worries. I still hold to my answer. The heavier 180 gr bullets will give you deeper penetration on quartering shots, even if heavy bone is in the way.
Good luck on your hunt and post some pictures.

JD338

You're running basically .300 sav. ballistics with your load. That round has no doubt taken a lot of moose with lesser bullets. Adequet yes. Best choice... IMHO not.

You have to consider the scenario. I assume since your bangstick is a BLR you hunt heavier cover and like to stalk relatively close. A moose is a big critter with a big kill zone and tough hide.

Ask yourself if you're better served with a lower vel. 150 gr bullet at .75 MOA or a max velocity 180 gr bullet at 1.5 MOA. I think the terminal performance of the heavier slug outweighs any possible advantage of increased accuracy with the lighter load. As an extreme example,iIf it didn't I'd shoot 120 vmaxs at big game from my .280 rem (real tackdriver load) but instead I shoot nosler 160 PTs at around 1MOA. The best bullet choice will perform not only when all goes right, but also when all goes wrong.

Polaris":2zb84ynr said:
The best bullet choice will perform not only when all goes right, but also when all goes wrong.

Dang right. Something that does the job no matter what that way if you goof or have to take a shot through cover you know that the job will be done!

I wouldn't hesitate to blast a moose with that load. I don't use many Barnes nowdays, but with your limits you said, that wouldn't let you down a bit. While heavier is better in my eyes, there is no denying that a 150 TTSX will go deep and work fine for moose.

I would crank it up to the next highest node, probably somewhere around 2900-3000. Chances are you will get about the same accuracy.

If you like the lower velocity, cap it with a 180 barnes.

Either one will be more in Moose territiry.

"I would crank it up to the next highest node, probably somewhere around 2900-3000."

I seriously doubt you could reach that velocity level in a BLR and still have a safe load. IIRC, the BLR has a 20" barrel. At least mine in .358 Win. does.
If I were to hunt moose and have to use the Browning BLR in .308 Win., I would be more inclined to go with the Nosler Partiton or AccuBond in the 180 gr. weight. Higher velocity is the TSX and TTSX's best friend and I'd be inclined to think that if the shot did come at 200 yards, that Barnes bullet just might not open enough or even not at all.
I like the .308 Win. a lot in a light easy to handle carbine, one of mine being a Ruger M77 RSI with 18.5" barrel. It's a very fussy rifle and only one load shoots worth spit, the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core over a max load of W760. Velocity is only 2550 FPS from the 18.5" barrel and that same load from a 22" barreled Winchester M70 is 2610 FPS. I would estimate the velocity from a 20" barrel to be about 2580 FPS. I do know that 165 gr. bullets went almost all the way through a good sized Mule Deer at 250 yards, laser measured.
As far as needing MOA or better for accuracy, my standard is a load that will consistantly shoot 1.5" at 100 yards or less for a big game load. One we're not shooting varmints and two, I've never seen a bench rest out in the field.
Paul B.

It wouldn't be my first choice as a moose load, but it would also be far from the last. If your load consisted of a 165gr Partition at 2700fps, then I suspect the naysayers would be almost nonexistent. Save that TTSX load as a primary load unless you can find something acceptable with a 180gr bullet, like a Partition. Finding another 150fps with a 150gr TTSX isn't going to bring the benefits many like to claim.

The load will certainly work, as I agree with the other's here.
I haven't worked the TTSX, so I can't say. I do know from earlier use, I prefer monos to have in the neighborhood of a mininum 2200 fps terminal velocity. The load in question, is nearing that in my numbers. But again, I haven't done any reduced velocity test with the newer TTSX's. My personal load for such (just worked up) in the .308, is the 180 gr. PT @ 2500 fps out of a 18" barrel, loaded with RL-15. That has a PBR on a 6", right at 250 yds.

Mountain Goat":7cyxege3 said:
It wouldn't be my first choice as a moose load, but it would also be far from the last. If your load consisted of a 165gr Partition at 2700fps, then I suspect the naysayers would be almost nonexistent. Save that TTSX load as a primary load unless you can find something acceptable with a 180gr bullet, like a Partition. Finding another 150fps with a 150gr TTSX isn't going to bring the benefits many like to claim.

The 150gr TTSX is not a load in the 308 at the velocities you are using for Moose. Frankly you might get fair penetration but I think you will be disappointed in the bullets terminal results and its general performance on something as big as the moose especially if bone is encountered because you lack the mass at the velocities you are pushing the TTSX. I think a Partition out of a 308 weighing 165 or 180grs is a much better choice. I am not writing an add for Nosler as everyone on this forum knows I have used all kinds and makes of bullets to kill game with, but the Partition is a very good choice for what you want and I think you will be much happier with the results.

I think Mountain goat has it right.

The posts have me reconsidering my approach. I've always striven for accuracy first and velocity second. However, perhaps my quarry and my-self imposed parameters (less than 250 yards) suggest less than optimum accuracy in favor of greater velocity is the way to go - I mean the vital area on a moose must be at least 15" in diameter - theoretically even groups of 6" @ 100 yards should be accurate enough - some of my 168 TTSXs loads where in the 1.5-2" ranges (but again velocities kinda slow-ish - not what monometals like). I will start checking out 180 PTs.

sithlord6512":126j0p9r said:
The posts have me reconsidering my approach. I've always striven for accuracy first and velocity second. However, perhaps my quarry and my-self imposed parameters (less than 250 yards) suggest less than optimum accuracy in favor of greater velocity is the way to go - I mean the vital area on a moose must be at least 15" in diameter - theoretically even groups of 6" @ 100 yards should be accurate enough - some of my 168 TTSXs loads where in the 1.5-2" ranges (but again velocities kinda slow-ish - not what monometals like). I will start checking out 180 PTs.

It's not the velocity that's the issue. Counter intuitively, higher velocity loads, while delivering more gunwriter aweing on-paper knockdown power, often underperform on tough game penetrating less and not putting that hydrostatic shock and mushroomed bullet where it needs to be. Your load with a 165-180 gr Partition, speer GS or Norma Oryx should be lights out deadly less than max velocity. The old Hornady .311 174 rn has killed thousands of moose from a 303 brit. The Rem core-lokt 180 RN has probably taken more from the .300 sav and 30-06. Don't discount those big, slowish lead core or Partition bullets on big game. I think that is the route to go on moose.

I do believe you will have better terminal performance using more mass. The kill diameter on the average whitetail is ~18 inches; on a moose, you are talking 36 to 40 inches.

You seem to assume that accuracy cannot or does not come with velocity which is not the case. You can have expected velocities for the 308 and accuracy at the same time. Because of the velocities of the 308 launching a 180gr you can use on moose the following bullets to try for accuracy and expected velocities for the the 308 and they will kill the moose dead as a hammer and fairly quick. 180gr Partition, 180gr AccuBond, 180gr Ballistic Tip, 180gr Sierra Game/King SBT.

Sith, you know your gun will shoot, chances are it will shoot more then one load just as good as the one you found.

I would start with the 180 BT's. It should be easy to get them to shoot, and at .308 velocities, they will hammer a moose.

sithlord6512":3bx9z3o6 said:

I like accuracy (like most) too, but look at it as range/target dictated. One don't always need moa, or sub-moa to meet the needs. Like most things, there comes a balance. Speed is nice too, but not always needed as well. Depends on the tools/components at hand,,,,,,, and the use.

Back