It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, I do love how my 06 (Marlin XL7) has finally come in to its own with my load work. Had one real awesome group, you know, that group every now and then that you never duplicate again, but it is a for sure "WOW!" group, but you keep getting close to it because of the good load you found that the rifle likes. Yet, it is not enough! Got to do more! Time to tinker again! UPGRADE TIME!

I will be putting a new scope FX II 36mm LR Duplex on it and changing to Warne rings the DNZ are just to ugly, I can't do it.

Also, after knowing of a person who reduced his average group size with his different loads with his Marlin XL7 by putting a new laminated wood stock on his Marlin XL7, I will do the same. So, this coming week I have a new wood (laminated) stock Prairie Hunter coming from Boyd's (finished - drop in) like my acquaintance did with his 30-06 XL7 and it fit perfect and it allows the barrel to free float.

Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex
file_zpseb6c93b9.jpg

Warne Rings
918191_zps2ebb2bf2.jpg

Boyd's Prairie Hunter (finished drop in - color Nutmeg)
18-111_zps1990b333.jpg

Looks like a nice stock at the very least it will look better. I'm a big fan of the Leupold 6 power scopes with the LR duplex it is even better, I have some Warne made Vortex rings on my Savage 260 Rem they look exactly the same as those and seem to be very well made.

gerry":w9k6yk2l said:
Looks like a nice stock at the very least it will look better. I'm a big fan of the Leupold 6 power scopes with the LR duplex it is even better, I have some Warne made Vortex rings on my Savage 260 Rem they look exactly the same as those and seem to be very well made.

Yes, it will look better and I have always been a fan of the Leupold fixed 6 scopes.

Considering the lack of strength the plastic stock Marlin uses they not only pillar bedded the stock but also anchored the fore end by using a pressure point, all designed to stiffen the stock's response to recoil and control it's flexing and movement. The laminated Boyd's is heavier, stronger and will more than likely not need the pillar bedding as my friend's marlin XL7 did not need and his groups shrunk by 1/2" in some cases and at least 1/4" across the board for his loads.

I won't need to put a butt pad on or limb saver since the stock adds a pound and a half to the rifle plus it is designed to handle the recoil by design so felt recoil is diminished even though it has only a half inch butt pad like some Ruger Hawkeyes do. I will have no problem with the recoil after the boyd's stock is put on, because the recoil will actually be reduce by the weight of the rifle and the stock design. I shoot my 340wby without a break and do just fine, but if I was recoil sensitive as some are I still will not need a different butt pad.

My Marlin with the original stock, bases, rings and scope come to 7.7 pounds and here is the recoil data for the rifle in it's present weight configuration using my 165gr load.

Cartridge: .3006
Firearm: Marlin XL7 at present
Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
Case Length (in): 2.494
Case Volume (gr H2O): 67.1
Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2850
Bullet Wt (gr): 165
Charge Weight (gr): 59
Barrel Length (in): 22
Firearm Weight (lb): 7.70
Free recoil energy is 21.7 ft-lb. (29.5 Joule)

FACTOIDS: Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 13 ft/sec. (4.1 m/sec) (This is equivalent to dropping the 7.70 lb gun from a height of 3 feet.) The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.1 in (2.5 mm) of travel
Recoil impulse is 3.2 lbf-sec (14.3 Newton-sec)
Powder gases generate about 35 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

It will weigh with new stock, bases, rings and scope 9.1 pounds and here is the recoil data for that configuration using my 165gr load.

Cartridge: .3006
Firearm: Marlin XL7 modified
Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
Case Length (in): 2.494
Case Volume (gr H2O): 67.1
Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2850
Bullet Wt (gr): 165
Charge Weight (gr): 59
Barrel Length (in): 22
Firearm Weight (lb): 9.10
Free recoil energy is 18.4 ft-lb. (24.9 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 11 ft/sec. (3.5 m/sec) (This is equivalent to dropping the 9.10 lb gun from a height of 2 feet.) The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.09 in (2.3 mm) of travel
Recoil impulse is 3.2 lbf-sec (14.3 Newton-sec)
Powder gases generate about 35 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

thanks russ, something to do when hunting season is a ways off. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's a coincidence But I was looking at some Leupolds on line last night and while it won't be a fixed 6x, that is THE reticule for any hunting i will ever do. I know you'll post some pics once's she's up and running.

I don't know if it's a disease or not but it's certainly an addiction I share.

akhunter":1v5q28ei said:
I'd look into different rings for that rig. The Warne's alone weigh almost a half pound.

Yes, I have already given that some thought and decide to go with these weavers for low mounting and light weight and put the Leupold on. These are the same kind of mounts and rings I had on this rifle with the Redfield and had no problems with recoil or movement of the scope so I will go with them. Only thing left is to wait for the stock to come in.

19dad10f7e_zps4529ed3e.jpg

Oldtrader3":23d8l0lp said:
Mike, what powder are you using?

depending on the load (and I have developed 4 loads that are accurate 1 165gr, 2 180gr and 1 220gr) IMR4350, W760, RL-22

I use IMR 4350 (57.5 grains) in my .30-06 with 165 Partitions and sometimes Ballistic Tips. I have gotten some truly outstanding groups on occasion with the 165 gr bullets in my Winchester Model 70.

Oldtrader3":1p5ito2m said:
I use IMR 4350 (57.5 grains) in my .30-06 with 165 Partitions and sometimes Ballistic Tips. I have gotten some truly outstanding groups on occasion with the 165 gr bullets in my Winchester Model 70.

Yes, 165gr bullets really shoot good in an 06 and 180gr bullets are doing very well in my 06. Shoot it even like the Sierra 220gr RN. Hard to beat a 30-06 six for versatility.

No Mike, you can't! I just put a new Conquest 3.5-10x44 scope on my .30-06 and can't wait to shoot it at the range.

akhunter":hxheybze said:
I'd look into different rings for that rig. The Warne's alone weigh almost a half pound.

I've been running Talley light weights on 2 vanguards and 3 Remmys . I really like them very well designed . The machining has been very good and with neither the 1" or 30 mm rings has my wheeler honing bars show hardly any material removed. Unlike quite a few weaver rings I've done.

Oldtrader3":3v43v4i8 said:
No Mike, you can't! I just put a new Conquest 3.5-10x44 scope on my .30-06 and can't wait to shoot it at the range.

Well that will be nice on your 30-06 just the name alone will tighten up your groups and you will shoot more game and kill more also. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hey, I can't wait to see that mounted. When you do give us a picture and that Zeiss glass in nice.

super-7":16dzpbo1 said:
akhunter":16dzpbo1 said:

I've been running Talley light weights on 2 vanguards and 3 Remmys . I really like them very well designed . The machining has been very good and with neither the 1" or 30 mm rings has my wheeler honing bars show hardly any material removed. Unlike quite a few weaver rings I've done.

Thanks, I had actually not even thought about the Talleys and they are a very good option.

bullet":377jzmbn said:
Oldtrader3":377jzmbn said:

Well that will be nice on your 30-06 just the name alone will tighten up your groups and you will shoot more game and kill more also. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hey, I can't wait to see that mounted. When you do give us a picture and that Zeiss glass in nice.

Okay smarty! I could not resist getting an open box discontinued 3.5-10x44 Conquest for $489. They are no more in 44mm lens, they are all 50mm now. Besides, it isn't going to hurt the rifle to have that scope. The rifle has been upgraded with a Grade II Winchester stock as well.:mrgreen:

Oldtrader3":3ub003jb said:
bullet":3ub003jb said:
Oldtrader3":3ub003jb said:

Okay smarty! I could not resist getting an open box discontinued 3.5-10x44 Conquest for $489. They are no more in 44mm lens, they are all 50mm now. Besides, it isn't going to hurt the rifle to have that scope. The rifle has been upgraded with a Grade II Winchester stock as well.:mrgreen:

I was just kidding, I am happy for you and think it is a good deal to get one. I don't know why they need the 50mm but I am not a scope maker. I really like my four Conquests, they were all 40mm though. I think it will be good addition and really make that 06 look good and of course, for the money Conquest is good, good glass.

Mike, Amen to that. I only have (2) Conquests now and had the tremors for a 10x with the #4 reticle. Plus I have a Diavari V as well, so I am Zeiss'ed out for the moment. Plus, the new Conquest's made in Germany are a couple $ hundred more than the MC scopes. I think the scope looks great on that Model 70 and will post pics in a day or two.

Back