It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

Mike as I have said elsewhere I love the way your rifle looks. I would only change one thing if possible and that would be to mount the scope lower because I prefer that sleeker look.

Congrats on your great project rifle.

bobnob":3g1pje5j said:
Mike as I have said elsewhere I love the way your rifle looks. I would only change one thing if possible and that would be to mount the scope lower because I prefer that sleeker look.

Congrats on your great project rifle.

Thanks bobnob, but I really like where the scope is set for me when shooting free hand or from field positions. In light of this, I will leave it where it is and of course being a 36mm objective makes it look different allowing more space between the objective and the barrel, but the line of sight is perfect for my shoulder, neck and head ergonomics.

I have made my final load adjustments. My previous load is to hot and my velocities tell me this even though I am not having brass or primer issues and ejection is easy.

I am interested in three things.
1. The life of my rifle.

2. The extended life of my brass.

3. The quality of my load's extreme spread and deviation, so that my down range accuracy will be consistent at longer ranges.

I have reduced my load of H414 and I am now achieving still good accuracy, low extreme spread and deviation at 2752fps (adjustment to 2772fps). Since my chronograph is 15' from my muzzle I always add 20fps to my chronographed velocity adding accuracy to my calculations for down range LR Duplex settings. Doing this has always proven more consistent with my initial calculations with only minor adjustments down range when practicing to make sure I am on target at 300, 400 and 500yds.

file_zpse1b9d932.jpg

mikefinal2_zpsa457ce28.jpg

Adjusted zero - 2.5" high at 100yds for a zero of 230yds with 2.81" highest point in bullet path from 126-134yds
file_zpse6d90d31.jpg

Looks good Mike. I particularly like the cheek piece and comb. That would work even on a magnum.
I think you're right, a 36mm O-bell makes it look like it's high.
Now you just need to blood it.

Razorbacker":ulxofkxn said:
Looks good Mike. I particularly like the cheek piece and comb. That would work even on a magnum.
I think you're right, a 36mm O-bell makes it look like it's high.
Now you just need to blood it.

I can't wait to use this load and rifle just to complete the trip I have taken with this rifle and cartridge. Can't wait to bloody this rifle :) I have a tradition that any new rifle and my hand load has to be used until it draws blood before I use any of my other rifles. All my hunting life I have done this (except the 8mm RemMag) and every rifle I have ever hunted with has taken game. Yep, I love it. :)

We need to be careful in our comparisons and evaluations. For the money the Marlin XL7 is best in its class (note: I said in its class). Now in saying that my Marlin which is an accurate rifle as you all know from my posting, is not consistently five shot group after five short group more accrate than these rifles I owned - my Sako 308, Sako Custom TRG 30-06 Ackley Improved, Savage 116FSS 300Win Mag, Savage 116FSS 7mmSTW, Remington Sendero 7mm Rem mag, Weatherby Mark V 30-06, Ruger Hawkeye 358Win, Weatherby Mark V 257 Mag, Weatherby 257/300 mag, Rem CDL 35 Whelen, or my Nosler M48 TGR 7mm08. Yes, these rifles cost 2 too 4 times more in some cases than the Marlin X, but they are still more consistent group after group than the Marlin XL7.

Now for what you pay for the Marlin X you get a lot for the buck when it comes to accuracy, but not on the consistent bases of five shot group after five shot group that the above mentioned rifles give me. You might say who shoots five shot groups after five shot groups while hunting. No body I know! True, but five shot group after five shot group consistently done lets you know that no matter what day or what round you put in that consistent five shot group after five shot group rifle - it is going to do the same thing every time and that can be an advantage in the field as well as a confidence builder when the hunter does not have to wonder if the shot he is shooting will be right where he wants it to go. It is just a fact, that you really do get what you pay for even if you have to pay four times as much to get only a little edge, you still get the edge.

Now, do I like my Marlin XL7 in 30-06 before and after I put a Boyd's stock and Leupold FX II scope on it. Absolutely, I really like what I have ended up with and will use it this season. Yes, I like it more than I thought I would and I can't wait to use my Marlin XL7 and my hand load, to complete the trip I have taken with this rifle and cartridge. Can't wait to bloody this rifle. Yep, I like the Marlin XL7 in 30-06 and will use it exclusively this coming season until I take game with it. Glad I own it and will use it for years to come, but it is not the best rifle for fit and finish or accuracy that I own or have owned, but for the money I have spent, it is hard to beat!

bullet":24fepspk said:
I am very proud of how this turned out. This does not look like or feel like a 349.00 rifle (now 446.00 rifle) and even feels and look like a 600.00 rifle. I had better light and was able to take more representative pictures that are very close to what the rifle actually looks like in person. I hope you enjoy these shots of my Marlin XL7 in a Boyds laminated stock with a Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex. Yes, I am happy with this.

file_zpse04ea14b.jpg

file_zps6b3c8285.jpg

file_zps67bd6c2f.jpg

file_zps2a6dd9eb.jpg

file_zps4bc9909d.jpg

file_zps62d1f229.jpg

file_zps6f403823.jpg

file_zps9e359ee6.jpg

file_zps0f1e301c.jpg

file_zps4bb937d6.jpg

file_zps6dcd3ab7.jpg

file_zpse0211e73.jpg

Mike, I just noticed the pictures of your rifle with the laminate on it. Looks GREAT. I would for sure take one of the Marlin's, in that range of rifle, for sure. Especially knowing that I could stock it like that for not alot of out pocket money.. Great project..

Thanks Scotty, it has been a trip, some kind of journey but I enjoyed every minute of it and glad it turned out like it has. Thanks again, Mike

These projects are a trip and some work also but when they come out right, it is worth it all. Nice rifle Mike.

Ready for hunting season! I know it will be a while yet! But I am ready :mrgreen:

file_zpse764bdb8.jpg

file_zps74b2ffe6.jpg

file_zps3e1e5987.jpg

Mike, do you think you will still own the rifle in a few years time?

I don't ask to try to get a rise out of you. I just get a feeling in a couple of years that you will sell it off to some lucky bloke and you will be just happy with the journey.

However, as we have not met I probably have that totally wrong.

In any case good luck with blooding the rifle! I am very keen to get my hands on my own budget priced 30-06 very shortly and go down the road of learning what it likes and what it can and cannot do.

bobnob":2ar8fedv said:
Mike, do you think you will still own the rifle in a few years time?

I don't ask to try to get a rise out of you. I just get a feeling in a couple of years that you will sell it off to some lucky bloke and you will be just happy with the journey.

However, as we have not met I probably have that totally wrong.

In any case good luck with blooding the rifle! I am very keen to get my hands on my own budget priced 30-06 very shortly and go down the road of learning what it likes and what it can and cannot do.

You might have not met me but for the last 30yrs or so your assessment would have been right on even up to just this last year. I would have sold it after I bloodied it or at least as you said in a couple of years and just been happy with the journey. I have now gone thorough in 35yrs of owning over 45 hunting rifles and bloodied all but that 8mm Rem Mag. I enjoyed my journeys with every one of them and especially the hunts I took game with each one of them using my handloads.

Now!!! That said!!! I am not going to sell this 06!!! I have learned through the years how to ring out a rifle whether it was a factory or custom rifle and get the best out of it through my handloads and that has made my hunts that much sweeter, because I got the rifles to shoot and also took game with my loads. The reason I won't sell it because it is an example of what I have learned to do and I have done enough in my life. I have two very outstanding rifles my M48 TGR 7mm08 and this 06.

I might buy another rifle in the future but will be keeping the two above mentioned rifles along with my .303. I have had a ball with guns, shooting, reloading and hunting and really want to hunt a lot the rest of the time I have here on this earth if God allows. I have made the journey with many rifles and cartridges and will finish with what I have or maybe a new rifle in the future if that opportunity arises but I am really satisfied with where, who and what I am, I am very comfortable in my skin and thank God I have had the adventures I have had through the years. :mrgreen:

Back