It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

Oldtrader3":3590g38c said:
Mike, Amen to that. I only have (2) Conquests now and had the tremors for a 10x with the #4 reticle. Plus I have a Diavari V as well, so I am Zeiss'ed out for the moment. Plus, the new Conquest's made in Germany are a couple $ hundred more than the MC scopes. I think the scope looks great on that Model 70 and will post pics in a day or two.

Cool, I will be looking for that post.

As stated in my article when doing a comparison with entry level rifles, I indicated that you do not need to customize the rifle because it is cheaper in most cases to just go purchase another one. Well, I got bored and since I am in between some projects, I decided to mess around with this Marlin. Of course this Marlin XL7 really shoots good and this messing around might cause it to shoot worse and if it does I can return it to its original state since I am not adding anything that is permanent. :) Just having some fun playing. :)

Mike, the same with my Model 70. It was the Composite BOSS model made in 1996. Winchester only made the BOSS for about two years and this one had the Tupperware stock. However, once I got the BOSS adjusted, the rifle was deadly accurate even with the hot melt glue bedding. I shot some 3-shot groups that were well under an inch at 300 yards with 165 Ballistic Tips which made a believer out of me. So I upgraded the stock with a Winchester Grade II walnut stock, one piece Williams bottom metal and then glass bedded the recoil lug only.

I like the fact that the original metal and bottom plate are matte finish and the stock is satin finish. This makes the rifle hunting friendly. Plus with the wood stock and new bottom metal, the rifle is still just as accurate as it was when I bought it, in addition to being much more stable and better looking. All it needed as a decent scope to finish the package to my specifications. That is why I bought the matte Conquest 3.5-10x44 for it. It has TPS tactical aluminum rings on it which are strong and light with Warne Maxima tactical bases. Now this plain Jane rifle is all dressed up and ready for the dance!

Mike, despite some issues with Photobucket, I got a couple of pictures up of my Model 70 with the new Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest. The pictures do not show the 3/16ths gap between barrel and scope objective tube. Just have to get it to the range soon and see how it shots with this scope. I bet you will be glad to get the new stock for your rifle?
Mod70-3copy_zps0929aaa8.jpg

DSC_0002-1_zps56b2dbd7.jpg

Charlie, yes, that is a very nice rifle indeed. I really like that setup man. :grin:

Oldtrader3":2n4bd5cs said:
Thanks guys, I just hope that it shoot as well as it looks. Beauty is as beauty does!

Hey, it will shoot, I would not worry about that. :wink:

The Conquest scope fell right into those rings and bases with no apparent scope stress at all. I really like those TPS rings, both for fit and for ruggedness. Mike, your rifle should look nice with the new stock.

Charlie, your 30-06 looks perfect buddy! That is a REALLY nice hunting rifle! I wished all of mine looked like that. That scope looks perfect on it as well! Great work. Thank you for sharing them.

Scotty, when your rifles become safe queens in your old age, you can keep them looking nice because they don't go anywhere but the range!

Oldtrader3":vskifaqk said:
Scotty, when your rifles become safe queens in your old age, you can keep them looking nice because they don't go anywhere but the range!

Yeah, well, none of mine ever started out that nice though!

Oldtrader3":35bu938z said:

Old age or not, that rig is pure class. Very well done indeed!

I'm with you on the 44 mm objective too. I grabbed the same scope with a plex reticle for under $500 a couple weeks ago, since they are being discontinued. At that price, a great value.

I have to ask, though, where on earth did you find that gorgeous stock?! :eek:

You are not going to believe this. I bought the stock on the "Campfire" forum for about $140. It is a Grade II from the Winchester Custom Shop. It has a small disturbance in the stock finish that I bet you can not find in the picture? It is the new, Browning/Winchester type stock and I had to buy a new one piece floor plate assembly for it. I sold the old Tupperware stock and the two piece floor plate on this forum and got back most of what I paid for the stock. So I am into it a new Williams floor plate cost, plus an aluminum follower and spring.

I really like the Conquest scope a lot and am glad that I was able to grab one for under $500.

Oldtrader3":38735d18 said:
It has a small disturbance in the stock finish that I bet you can not find in the picture?

Nope, it definitely does not show up in the pictures! Man, I have to stop reading your posts. First I started stumbling into Zeiss scopes, then a certain pre-'64 M70, and now I'm going to have to start perusing Campfire classifieds... :twisted:

Mike, you've got some pretty stiff competition, but looking forward to your pictures as well.

Hegland":2e650e9f said:
Oldtrader3":2e650e9f said:
It has a small disturbance in the stock finish that I bet you can not find in the picture?

Nope, it definitely does not show up in the pictures! Man, I have to stop reading your posts. First I started stumbling into Zeiss scopes, then a certain pre-'64 M70, and now I'm going to have to start perusing Campfire classifieds... :twisted:

Mike, you've got some pretty stiff competition, but looking forward to your pictures as well.

Well Charlie started with a purse having a Model 70 to begin with and I am starting with a sows ear and trying to make a purse, so Charlie has already won no matter how hard I try to make a purse. :mrgreen:

But it was not a silk purse, it was a newer, lower grade purse! :mrgreen: My intention was never to step on your project. I only mentioned it because of the Zeiss scope which you asked for a picture of. Besides, I sold the bottom metal to a active duty Marine on this forum for about half price.

You will have a nice shooting gun when you are finished that will be functional for many years with that stock. There are no flies on the Mossberg rifle action. Remember, beauty is as beauty does!

Back