It IS A Desease - Continual Upgrade XL7

Oldtrader3":2d7kkt2d said:
But it was not a silk purse, it was a newer, lower grade purse! :mrgreen: My intention was never to step on your project. I only mentioned it because of the Zeiss scope which you asked for a picture of. Besides, I sold the bottom metal to a active duty Marine on this forum for about half price.

You will have a nice shooting gun when you are finished that will be functional for many years with that stock. There are no flies on the Mossberg rifle action. Remember, beauty is as beauty does!

NO! You might have had a low grade purse, put a silk dress on the out side and bought designer glass for it to ware, but you still started with a purse, there is a huge difference :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike, my intentions were never intended to minimize or put down your project in any way. I am sorry now that I posted pictures. I just took a rifle with a cheap stock and managed to get some great upgrade prices. This is not to reflect on your project at all.

Oldtrader3":2z7j967c said:
Mike, my intentions were never intended to minimize or put down your project in any way. I am sorry now that I posted pictures. I just took a rifle with a cheap stock and managed to get some great upgrade prices. This is not to reflect on your project at all.

Hey man, we are just having fun. I don't care what anyone post on a thread I start. Lighten up, I want to have fun :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think it is funny me trying to make something out of that Marlin XL7 other than a 349.00 entry level rifle. My whole point is that I could never really get my Marlin to look like that beautiful Model 70. HEY! have some fun man! :lol: :lol:

No sweat, I just want this to be friendly and fun. I took what you said wrong but what the heck, it is a hobby for fun and learning the discipline of shooting well. I have been shooting since 1952, when I was 9 and still get out twice a week in decent weather.

I do quite a few refurbish projects on Winchesters and Mauser rifles that are somewhat less than their past. I try to take them back to their former glory or some facsimile thereof. Sometimes I succeed like the Winchester, and sometimes I work and work and don't quite get there because I can't find parts or can't afford to hire a professional to finish something.

Pictures tomorrow morning (Friday) I think it really looks good. :mrgreen:

file_zps3d12b5b1.jpg

file_zps2dffee80.jpg

file_zpsd179ad3f.jpg

file_zpscc34f584.jpg

file_zps0a4725b2.jpg

file_zpsa218df85.jpg

file_zpsfe001587.jpg

file_zpsdb46ee6a.jpg

I am very proud of how this turned out. This does not look like or feel like a 349.00 rifle (now 446.00 rifle) and even feels and look like a 600.00 rifle. I had better light and was able to take more representative pictures that are very close to what the rifle actually looks like in person. I hope you enjoy these shots of my Marlin XL7 in a Boyds laminated stock with a Leupold FX II 6x36mm LR Duplex. Yes, I am happy with this.

file_zpse04ea14b.jpg

file_zps6b3c8285.jpg

file_zps67bd6c2f.jpg

file_zps2a6dd9eb.jpg

file_zps4bc9909d.jpg

file_zps62d1f229.jpg

file_zps6f403823.jpg

file_zps9e359ee6.jpg

file_zps0f1e301c.jpg

file_zps4bb937d6.jpg

file_zps6dcd3ab7.jpg

file_zpse0211e73.jpg

Mike, that gun looks a few hundred dollars nicer! I have two Marlins and have been eyeing the same stocks. How was the fit and finish from the factory? Agian that is a good looker, well done!

bbearhntr":15h4qa9t said:
Mike, that gun looks a few hundred dollars nicer! I have two Marlins and have been eyeing the same stocks. How was the fit and finish from the factory? Agian that is a good looker, well done!

I had no problem with the fit and finish, it is solid and tight, really worked well. I am surely pleased.

Weighed it on a digital scale and it is only 8.2 pounds just to cool man. :)

Mike, I am glad that fit and finish are good on your new stock. The setup looks great with the new stock and the scope mounted on the rifle. You have got a lot of rifle for what you put into it monetarily. The action shot well before, it should be even better now with new stock on it.

Well, I went to shoot this morning but did not have my top 180gr CT BR load, I had shot all them up. I did have some 180gr CT BT loads using H414 that I was going to shoot before the stock change to see if I could get the velocities I was looking for by working up to a max load and got more than I expected. This load is just below max but extraction easy and primers and brass looking good.

Well, I am encouraged with this new stock and if I back off of this load a half grain, I just might have even better accuracy results but this is not bad especially considering my velocities. I it does kick just a tad harder with the Boyds, but nothing that is a problem at all, I just notice that it did. Yep, I think I really have a dandy and including the Boyds stock without tax I spent 446.00, not bad for what I have and how it performs. This will be fun come hunting season.

180gr CT BT, Hornady brass, H414, Fed 210 match primers, moving 2849fps (YES! that is right) with a 22" barrel.

TgtGfx1948_zps68d4a91a.jpg

351e5768-799b-4fe6-98c5-ffbc20c42547_zps0bebec55.jpg

Zero is 240 being 2.94" at highest point in flight at 132-138yds
file_zps2991ad8f.jpg

bullet":2lro3txm said:
this is not bad especially considering my velocities.

Nope, not bad at all! 8) It looks good, shoots even better and at blistering speeds for a .30-06. Good work all the way around, man.

Oldtrader3":1eyar6fi said:
Well, if it keeps that up, I think that you get what you wanted!

Yes, more than I expected and therefore certainly what I want! You ought to see how well this rifle shoots the North Fork SS 180gr which I will save for short to medium use on big game (depending on conditions like thick cover and limited distances) and when I have the opportunity to hunt where big dangerous game are present.

Hegland":3lxous2f said:
bullet":3lxous2f said:
this is not bad especially considering my velocities.

Nope, not bad at all! 8) It looks good, shoots even better and at blistering speeds for a .30-06. Good work all the way around, man.

Thank you Hegland. Sometime some of the work I do that takes time and effort and pays off in spades (like in a Royal flush on this occasion) and most of the time is ok and turns out well on other stuff I try. But this has been special, because I had no idea I would end up with something like this for so little money spent.

Back