Joy of simple reloading

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I loaded up some 30-30 cartridges tonight. With all the precision reloading I have been doing lately it has became quite a chore. It was really nice not having to weigh each charge and meticulously double seating each bullet.

Just size, prime, charge, and seat. Kind of reminded me of when I first started reloading out in my dads shed 30+ years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear, i thought that precision reloading was " Just size, prime, charge, and seat" , is there more???? :?

I hate to admit it but other than weighing each charge that's pretty much how I do it. I do clean my brass and primer pockets and trim the brass here and there, but I'm not a fanatic about it.

Many years ago, 1954 as I recall, I starting loading ammo for a 30-30. I used a Lyman 310 Tong Tool, a pot over a stove to cast bullets, a homemade dipper to charge cases with 3031 and whatever brass and primers I might have on hand.
Every once in a while, I get the feeling that going simple is a good thing. Out comes that old 310 tool and as I just about always have a supply of bullets cast up it's sit down and load up a box of ammo or two. Then it's head out to the range with my Great grandfather's old M94 made back in 1911 and kill a few pieces of paper.. Sometimes it's out to the desert and wander around harassing jackrabbits with that old gun. I even have a Colt .45 single action army 4.75" on my hip and it's kind of a trip back in time for a while away from the hustle and bustle off today's screwed up world. Can't do that like I used to since my knees went sour but still do the range bit every once in a while.
Paul B.

Haha! That's my diet secret! When I'm sitting in front of the TV and start thinking about snacking, I'll go load up some blaster rounds to get my mind off eating....
:lol:

Elkman":1e0wqefu said:
Bear, i thought that precision reloading was " Just size, prime, charge, and seat" , is there more???? :?

Seems for most of my stuff anymore I’m sorting brass by weight, bullets by weight, measuring each powder charge, seating .010” long and measuring off ogive and reseating to same exact length to ogive. Basically doing everything possible to make little clones down to the tiniest detail.

Rewarding when chasing tiny groups and single digit SD’s or connecting with targets you can’t see with the naked eye but very time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear, I admire your tenacity, I know that for the best it takes time, patience and detail. As most of my shooting is elk, and varmints I have a lot more wiggle room. Shooting at dots far away, takes a lot more skill and care. :grin:

Everybody gotta do what makes them happy. For me as it relates to the shooting world, it's working on guns, shooting good groups in the off season, and hunting. I try to be as efficient as possible not to spend time at time consuming things that takes away from those activities as long as I keep getting the results I'm looking for. I don't do a lot of things with reloading that most people consider sacrosanct. But under 3/4 with a scoped sporter keeps me very happy, I'm not a 1000 yd competition shooter.

Other than I generally weigh my charges as I use a lot of old fashioned stick powders that don't meter worth a darn, you pretty much described my loading procedure.

I have a couple guns that I keep it very simple when reloading. One is a sporterized Mauser with peep sights and one is a 308 I intended to use 125 gr starting loads for my kids. Cases get trimmed as needed, but I use Lee dippers to measure powder. I use a starting load, rather than a meticulously worked up load. Some I use the next size up dipper. That was the extent of the load development, other than trying a couple different powders or bullets, and the accuracy is still more than acceptable for the woods hunting we do. It is refreshingly simple and a bit quicker.

Back