Labradar LX

Since I now have the Garmin, I'll likely stick with it. Going to get out to the range and use it fir the first time tomorrow as we have a chinook and weather will be warmer (+6 degrees C) with light winds.
Going to shoot the 204 Ruger, 218 Bee, 257 Roberts, 270 WSM all for the first time, and 338 Federal with some new factory ammo I haven't yet tried..

I'm curious to see how well the rechargeable battery will last. time will tell, I guess. Dan.
I feel the same way ... hopefully the rechargeable battery will be replaceable in the LabRadar ... right now the Garmin offers an internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery that is non-replaceable. Maybe a newer version will offer one that is user replaceable.

I tend to keep my equipment for a long time & would hate to lose my investment due to a dead internal battery after a few years. Thinking of my personal experiences with rechargeable phones (home & cell), electric tooth brushes, power tools, etc, does not instill confidence that the internal non-replaceable battery will last as long as I want to keep it.

I think the replaceable battery thing is a non-issue. There are a bunch of devices out there with non-replicable batteries in them that work flawlessly in that regard (including Garmin). I have multiple that are still serving me well after more years than I care to remember. If it ever became an issue a) it would be an anomaly, and 2) it's probably so old you'll be keen to by whatever the next new thing on the market is anyway, just like many either have or are considering doing with their older chronographs now....absolute worst case is you take a portable charger with you to the range, but again, I suspect you you'll never see that

Well, I got to use my Garmin for the first time today.
Was really simple to set up and use!
Was a little later than I planned on getting to the range today, and shot until last light. No issues with using it in low light conditions.
Shot 15 different factory loads in 6 rifles today, as noted in my post above.

By the time the battery in the new Garmin needs to be replaced, one of two things will happen:

1. The unit will be so outdated that you will want one of the 10 newer released chronographs anyway, or

2. You can look on YouTube and there will be a dozen videos showing you how to replace the battery with one from Amazon for $10.

By the time the battery in the new Garmin needs to be replaced, one of two things will happen:

1. The unit will be so outdated that you will want one of the 10 newer released chronographs anyway, or

2. You can look on YouTube and there will be a dozen videos showing you how to replace the battery with one from Amazon for $10.
You hit the nail on the head , technology advances outdate electronics so fast today.

Actually the Garmin Branded battery is about $30, Generic about $20.
Easy peasy replacement once out of warranty.
I jumped on the Garmin band wagon. It's simple, works, small. I like it.
It's a 24GHZ small antenna unit while the LX is a 60GHZ small antenna unit (both wider beam shorter range ), compared to the larger, 24GHZ and 60GHZ narrow beam longer range units.
Tiny beam to catch tiny bullets down range requires a high gain antenna system
Caldwell Velociradar 60 GHZ Chirp radar antenna.
60GHZ-CALDWELL.jpg
Old style Labradar 24GHZ
LabRadar Antenna.JPG

A few units soon to be on the "Market" don't seem to have completed the FCC approval process just yet.
Garmin Chinese battery in a Taiwanese unit.
Garmin Battery.JPG

Last edited:

Agreed. Same way cell phone batteries are replaced. I don't sweat it that much, it is really nice to use.

Back