Ladder Method?

I've never tried the ladder method. I'll be switching to surplus powders in my 264, 7STW & 30-378. So, I'll be trying this as I haven't got any load data readily availible.

Sounds like alot more effecient than the reduce max load by 5% load 3 rnds per string, go up 0.5 grns at a time. I've found that MOST Nosler bullets I've loaded recently shot well and didn't show much for pressure until I was 1 grain or 0.5 grain below max charge.

I actually got a little lazy and just started a grain or two below max. THis worked fine until I loaded some 243win rnds with 55 NBT's with IMR 3031 and IMR 4064. THe 4064 performed as expected, 3031 is a powder quite a bit faster than I usually use and showed some flattened primers. The 3031 was definitely a MAX load, while the charge was still below book max by 1 grain. Learnt a lesson there.

CC

Ladder test is total waste of ammo, time and barrel life. Start by doing research of components that will work and have proven itself on a given cartridge. Start low and work your way up. It has always works for me. Just to show you an example, there's a dozen bullet went through less than 1" ragged hole at the target below at 100 yards. All fired with 2 types of powder, one type of bullet and 4 different loads. I found my pet load for my 338 Lapua Improved in less than 24 rounds. As a matter of fact, any of the 2 types of powder I've used would have work.

Picture179-1.jpg

My understanding of the ladder method is to place your target farther out at 300 yds otherwise you may end up with a big ragged hole at 100.

There isn't a whole lot wrong with a ragged hole at 100yds though.

old #7":22n7iguw said:
My understanding of the ladder method is to place your target farther out at 300 yds otherwise you may end up with a big ragged hole at 100.

There isn't a whole lot wrong with a ragged hole at 100yds though.

Accuracy was not my goal when I was shooting at this target. Actually, I was looking at how fast I can push the 300 SMK. I used two types of powder (Reloader 25 and Retumbo) and 4 different loads on this session. As you can see, the group were no bigger than 1 inch.

After reaching my velocity goal of 2850 fps average by both powder, I tried them at 225 yards and here are the result.

Retumbo 5 shot group @ 225 yards

Picture175-4.jpg

Reloader 25 5 shot group @ 225 yards. This is going to be my load of choice.

Picture174-3.jpg

I understand that this method may have downfalls, but it is an approach I haven't taken to find that accuracy sweet spot. The lapua round is designed for accuracy(wish I had one), my weatherby with 0.375" of freebore is more aimed at insane velocities. The best part of this method is:>>> It's is a great excuse to load up some rounds and hammer em off :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: Heck, I'll load two or three of each when I can get an 8lbs keg of surplus powder for 44.99+HazMat!! Couple that with great prices on factory seconds at the Shooter's Pro Shop and it's bound to be a good time for not alot of money. At the worst, I'll waste 60 rounds of 264, 60 rounds of 7mm STW and 60 rounds of 30-378. My shoulder may not like the 7mm STW's bite, but I'll deal with that. MIght have to invest in a LimbSaver.

CC.

Back