Ladies on the Firing Line

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I had the privilege of introducing some ladies to the shooting sports yesterday. Nicole was born in Iran, and her sister Anna is visiting from Iran at this present time. Echo was born in Japan and had never touched a firearm. My wife, Lynda, has become rather adept at shooting, enjoying accompanying me to the range whenever possible. It was a hot day, but it would be fun to spend some time instructing in the safe use of firearms.

When Nicole's husband recently purchased a handgun, she touched the firearm in the store and overcome with emotion began to cry. She had never touched a firearm and the thought of the freedom of owning a firearm was overwhelming. They recently came for a barbeque dinner, and after dinner I brought out a couple of handguns for her to handle. They were, of course, unloaded and no magazine in them. I explained they were tools to be used just like one might use a hammer or a screw driver.

Unfortunately, Nicole's husband was occupied, so he was delayed in joining us on the range. The afternoon began with a discussion of the rules of safety. I must say that it is fun teaching ladies. They listen and take seriously the rules of safety, which isn't always the case with some of the gentlemen I have instructed. I didn't need to remove anyone from the firing line.

We had some reactive targets and then pinned up balloons so that they would be able to see the reaction when they connected. I regret that I didn't get as many pictures as I wished, but we did get a few. Echo, was one of the first up. She was so excited when she began to bust balloons at seven yards, ultimately showing herself to be quite adept at handling the handguns.

Echo 2202 07 28.jpg

My wife was eager to pull the trigger, and she demonstrated her skill again by hitting the reactive targets with monotonous regularity.

Lynda 2202 07 28.jpg

Nicole became quite proficient at busting balloons at ten yards with both the Sig and the Buckmark. She discovered that she could routinely pop the balloons at fifty yards with the T-bolt. I have it set up to take grouse out to sixty yards.

Her sister Anna was a wunderkind with each of the handguns and with the rifle. We couldn't keep her supplied with balloons as she simply didn't miss. Wow! Talk about great hand-eye coordination!

I am sorry that none of the videos are in a proper format to upload. However, you may be certain that there was genuine excitement as the ladies demonstrated proficiency with the various handguns and the little T-bolt.

Darryl joined us as we were packing up to leave. Since it was such a hot day (38 C), I suggested that it would be wise to conclude by stopping at Dairy Queen. We'll have to do this again was the consensus of each of the ladies. But, could we pick a day which was not quite so warm.

Mike,
That was a great outing! The ladies were definitely having a good time with the handguns. Nicely done sir.

JD338

My wife provided me with a couple of other pictures which may be of interest. In this picture, the three ladies whom I was introducing to shooting are lined up at the ten yard line. Echo, from Japan, Nicole, from Iran, and her sister Anna, also from Iran. They were doing an amazing job on the range.

RUu7C1v.jpg

In this photo, Nicole and Anna are on the firing line.

XXTzxAu.jpg

Again, it was a great deal of fun to watch the ladies popping balloons and ringing the reactive targets.

Great report! I love hearing of new people enjoying the sport. Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for helping the ladies start down the path of shooting for fun. Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge, equipment, time, and enthusiasm. Dan

I was so pleased at the care each of the ladies exercised in controlling the muzzle and in placement of the trigger finger. They were also so very conscious of ensuring that the action was open until they were standing next to me and ready to fire. It was a pleasure to have students that listened to what was expected.

I was so pleased at the care each of the ladies exercised in controlling the muzzle and in placement of the trigger finger. They were also so very conscious of ensuring that the action was open until they were standing next to me and ready to fire. It was a pleasure to have students that listened to what was expected.
Hats off to you Dr. Mike for passing on the fundamentals of proper shooting and allowing them to have fun with the shooting sports. The pictures point out your safety instructions being well received. Dan.

Dr Mike, first and foremost, very nicely done ! Being in Canada, it was a little harder getting those handguns to the range than it would be in the States. Glad you were willing to take the time to do so

As an aside Dr.Mike. I had to smile--when I was taught in the 1940's, the area in which I was taught, did not look like that and there were no balloons ;) Your a bit younger than I, but I bet you can relate (-;

Dr Mike, first and foremost, very nicely done ! Being in Canada, it was a little harder getting those handguns to the range than it would be in the States. Glad you were willing to take the time to do so

As an aside Dr.Mike. I had to smile--when I was taught in the 1940's, the area in which I was taught, did not look like that and there were no balloons ;) Your a bit younger than I, but I bet you can relate (-;
Oh, yeah, April. It wasn't always with nicely marked lanes. By the way, those firing lines were only poured this summer. They are much nicer than what used to be there.

Great job Dr Mike and isn't it funny how they always ask for more.

April it is nice to see you posting again.

Back