Large Big Game 300Win Mag Loads

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Monday along with shooting my .303 and trying my loads out, I will also be trying out my Big Game Load for my 300Win Mag starting with the 220gr Seirra RN and then I will be working with the 220gr Semi Point RN Partition.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Those 220 gr loads for the 300WM should be pretty awesome I believe. I have pondered loading some 220gr PT's for the 30's, just to shoot them into water jugs. The SD is Awesome in them. Good luck Mike, I can't wait to hear how they shoot for you. Scotty

Elkman":2obdmm1t said:
Great pictures Mike. I will be looking for the range report. !!!!

I am a little nervous about this week coming as I do load work for my .303, 358Win, and 300Win mag, I sure hope I got my loads some where in the ball park. :)

I am pretty excited to see what comes out Mike. That 220gr load for your 300 should be a beast! Scotty

I have two loads for my .300 Win. Mag. One uses the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core and the other the 200 gr. Nosler Partition. The loads are set up so that both bullets will hit into the same group at 100 yards. Group size is 1.5" which is sufficient. I usually load the magazine with the Speer Hot Cores and have the Nosler up the spout. If I run into an elk at 200 yards or less, I use the Nosler. If the elk is farther out, I remove the Nosler and run a Speer up the spout. The Speer did the trick on a cow elk at 530 yards, laser measured. I do admit to several months of long range practice at my local range so I was pretty confident of the shot. My load uses WMR powder which sadly is no longer available. I like it in the .270 Win. and .300 Win. mag. Accuracy and velocity have been superb in my rifles.
Paul B

Mike

The 300 Win Mag with a 220 gr bullet is a serious stopper. Give the 220 gr PT load the water jug test. I would think it would take 8 jugs to stop it.

JD338

JD338":2llua1vi said:
Mike

The 300 Win Mag with a 220 gr bullet is a serious stopper. Give the 220 gr PT load the water jug test. I would think it would take 8 jugs to stop it.

JD338

When they come in I will do just that. :)

I've never loaded anything over 210 grains for my .30 cal magnums. Never took game with anything bigger than a 180 gr bullet from a .30 cal maggie either. Dad used to favor the 220 gr from his .30-06 Springfield.

I like the way the magnums handle those big 200 grain bullets, and heavier. Mine always seem to shoot real well with the heavies, and there's no worry about sufficient penetration. That 220 gr Nosler Partition has got to penetrate like crazy...

Last year I worked up a good load for my .300 WSM with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds. Carried them during mule deer season, but was unable to connect with a buck. Perhaps this year. Was just out at the range the other day shooting those loads again - they are mighty accurate. Nice thump to them while shooting as well.

Guy

Guy Miner":258cywzc said:
I've never loaded anything over 210 grains for my .30 cal magnums. Never took game with anything bigger than a 180 gr bullet from a .30 cal maggie either. Dad used to favor the 220 gr from his .30-06 Springfield.

I like the way the magnums handle those big 200 grain bullets, and heavier. Mine always seem to shoot real well with the heavies, and there's no worry about sufficient penetration. That 220 gr Nosler Partition has got to penetrate like crazy...

Last year I worked up a good load for my .300 WSM with 200 gr Nosler Accubonds. Carried them during mule deer season, but was unable to connect with a buck. Perhaps this year. Was just out at the range the other day shooting those loads again - they are mighty accurate. Nice thump to them while shooting as well.

Guy

Yeah, amen on the thump when they hit down range and when that big bullet hits game :mrgreen:

The most accurate load my 20" 300win mag shoots is a 220gr hornady interlock. IMR7828ssc. I have killed several elk with the 200gr Partition but more is better. No luck last year with the 220's in the gun.

Wow Baltz a 300 Win Mag with a 20" barrel? Thats got to make your ears ring! And I thought mine with a 24" was bad!

Back