Laupa brass-tight pockets

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Bought 200 Laupa .308 Win. brass and have found the primer pockets are extremely tight using Federal 210 GM primers. Real tight! Tried Winchester standard large rifle primers and they worked normal no problem. Has anyone else had this to happen? Have been using the Federal primers in other cases different calibers without any problems. Did check the primer seating tool to see if it was out of line but seems to be ok. Any thoughts? Dan.

When I measured the primers, Federals averaged + .006 more in diameter larger than Winchester’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a lot of Lapua 308 brass and never had an Issue. I'm using CCI 250 in my current load so can't say I've tried the Federal GM. I have used CCI BR2 and no issues as well as Remington 91/2 primers. Maybe try the Winchester or one of the others. Even the wonderful Lapua brass will expand. My worst disappointment was with Norma 7mm mag brass. It was all to long and had to be full length sized and trimmed before loading. It should have never left the factory in that condition.

This is the only time I have had a problem with Lapua brass. Been using it in my 6.5x55 same Federal 210Gm primers no problems. I did get some to seat more normal by using a primer uniform crimp remover tool. Going to try same load with the win. lr primer and see if it groups close to the same size. Dan.

Checked a different lot of Lapua .308 Win brass that I had bought and so far the same Federal 210GM primers seat normal. So guess it was just a bad lot of smaller pockets. Dan.

Back