lead bullet ban on the way ?

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I've been seeing bits and pieces on this .

the NRA is taking a survey .

I’m not going to lie , I’ve been moving over to lead free bullets for hunting. Looking around each day our government is taking away a little freedom at a time.

I have a lead free load for one of my rifles. Good for anything up to elk and I hope to develop more once powders/primers are on the shelves. I am not spending components right now on anything I don't need

I hope something like this will crash and burn utterly. I almost can't describe both how incredibly ignorant this would be, and how much I resent those who would attempt to pass it.

Given current political conditions and societal trends, I fear it is inevitable that a lead ban will be imposed sooner rather than later. It is one more freedom that is being stripped from the citizenry in the name of benefit for everyone.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. This seems to be the process we are seeing being played out by the radicals in government. They know little bites don’t draw that much attention.

Unfortunately, we will eventually get there. If my facts are correct, no lead is being mined in the US. More unfortunately, is that it will be used as a political issue. CL

In Germany, lead free shot is mandatory for years near water.
Bullets are in state owned forests and will be everywhere soon.
To a certain degree I can actually understand that, but the science is still not where I would like it to be.

This is crap. Attack serious problems that plague the whole country
I am a food chemist by profession and since some predators of bird of prey have different physiology, they might suffer if you leave the innards with 10-50 % of the lead in them for them to feed on.
Like it or not.
Same with water fowl if they pick it up while feedind.

I use lead free for about ten years now.
With our distances it works fine.
Your 600+? Probably not.

I am far from green, but I have seen some results.
And - as mentioned - aI shoot lead free

California has gone lead free and I suspect Oregon and Washington will be right around the corner. There have been hints at it for a little while. I started experimenting with Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets for that reason. I haven't hunted with them yet - mostly because I haven't worked up a load that I am satisfied with and more importantly, it is hard to tear myself away from the Swift Scirocco II and Hornady SST's that shoot so well in my rifles. But I fear it's coming to a hunting season near you and there is little we can do about it.

IF you want performance close to lead core: don't use the deformators.
There are some that fragment upon impact.
Lehigh for US products.
Several others from Europe.
I have to say: all of them limit effective range.
Copper/gilding metal is simply harder than lead.

But they do work on reasonable distance.
Lond range? Nope.
Think about fmj there

I guess LRX's are in . Most of my loads feature them though I would like the choice. They do expand down to 1600 fps (or suppose to). Plenty of you tube videos on the matter.....

Who is hunting with the E-Tips? What calipers/weight? Suggestions
I use 130 grain E-Tips in my 270 WSM. Don't know that they are better than ABs or some other bullet, but they have worked well on moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail and black bear. The accuracy is outstanding. I see no particular reason to change at this point.

Well I guess I was wrong I thought about going lead free as I seriously though about going to lead free bullets then I though oh it won't happen in my lifetime. I will say Lead free Sucks in shotgun as Steel does on even come close unless, you can afford tungsten shotgun shells at over $ 3.00 a shot.
I am afraid to say the Left will never quit till guns are banned, This no lead on Federal ground is just to drive people out of the sport !

Well I guess I was wrong I thought about going lead free as I seriously though about going to lead free bullets then I though oh it won't happen in my lifetime. I will say Lead free Sucks in shotgun as Steel does on even come close unless, you can afford tungsten shotgun shells at over $ 3.00 a shot.
I am afraid to say the Left will never quit till guns are banned, This no lead on Federal ground is just to drive people out of the sport !
Don't know about your lefts, but I agree that with shotguns the changes are more prominent.
Steel? Not really.
Bismuth? Okay-ish, but worse than lead
Tungsten? YES! But the price....

Back