Leica Ultravid 10x25 Compact binoculars: WOW!

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I like to cut weight when I can, and I saw that often times my good hunting partner would leave his 10x42 Swarovski's in the truck instead of carrying them because they were just too heavy and bulky. Great glass, but just bit much to pack around ALL THE TIME!

I bought a pair of Leupold Gold Ring compacts and have had them for years. I stepped on them one time, and it was hard enough to knock the barrels out of perfect alignment. One eye was fishing and the other one was baiting the hook!! :? I sent them to Leupold and told them what I did, and in about a week they were back and were completely aligned and perfect again. NO CHARGE! Great binoculars and light to carry!! They also fogged on me once. No fault of Leupold, but I had put my son (5 yrs at the time) in the truck and was doing a couple of things before I climbed in. When I did, he was happily sitting on the front seat unscrewing the focus adjustment on the end of each barrel (first issue Gold Ring- great binoculars) I sent them off to Leupold again with a short explination of what happened. In about a week they were back. Again, fixed with no charge. Great Service and Products!!!

I have always been looking around though and since my son started hunting last year, he's needed some decent binoculars of his own. I decided to give him my Leupold compacts, and I would get myself a new pair!! After looking at Leupold, Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss, I just fell in love with the new 10x25 Leica Ultravids. What a great set of binoculars that are a JOY to CARRY! Sharp and clear, and they made it through this hunting season without missing a beat. I highly recommend them to anyone!!

I'm still a die-hard Leupold fan though, and will continue to purchase their products. They build them tough and they build them right. The warranty repair is first rate as well. I just wanted to pass this information on to folks who might be considering a new set of binoculars.

Use a pair of Leica's myself (Trindvid 8X32) that I have had for over 20 years. Have had Zeiss and Swarovski binos prior to that. I sold both when I found the Leica's. By the way, found them in a pawn shop for $200 :grin: . You can carry them all day long around your neck and not know they are there.

6mm Remington

I know how good Leupold customer service is. I have had a couple pairs of Leupold binoculars, good stuff!
I know have a pair of Meopta 10x50s. Awesome glass but on the heavy side.
You might take a look at the bino buddy, they take the weight off your neck.

JD338

I have looked at Leica, but I was put off by the warranty. Five years doesn't seem quite right. Swarovski and Zeiss are lifetime, regardless of who bought them. Leopold made their name on service. Perhaps the Leicas will never need service, but should that happen, the cost of repair is fairly steep.

Never had to repair anything, and these have taken a couple of tumbles down some pretty steep hills with me as part of the process. Loved the Zeiss and Swarovski's, but you don't pass on Leica's that you get for $200.

I'm also shopping for a light and handy binocular. I have the 7X42 SLC and as much as I like the glass, the weight is getting to bother me quite a bit now. I think I'm going to pull on an EL here pretty soon before the promo expire.

I had my Leica Trinovid 8x42 last year ..... another World ! ... i think one of the best binocular for hunting

you don't pass on Leica's that you get for $200.

I guess not! I may have to look at some. I had my eye on a Leica range finder for some time, but I haven't sprung for i t... yet.

Don't know if you can get optics shipped to Canada, but Cameraland NY had some really good prices on the Leica rangefinders. I suppose you can get good discounts at the store you work at.

The store is very generous with discounts, but the cost is much higher in Canada in the first place. Getting optics into Canada for individuals is somewhat difficult, so I opt to buy through the store. Perhaps the next time I'm in the States I'll see what I can find.

257 Ackley":3gx351gr said:
Don't know if you can get optics shipped to Canada, but Cameraland NY had some really good prices on the Leica rangefinders. I suppose you can get good discounts at the store you work at.

I had my Leica 1200 from Cameraland NY last year, ... (shipped from Usa to Italy) ... and comparing with Italians price, i had a good deal.
(thanks to situation about euro-UsD ) .... here in Italy we have 20%+4% tax, about import merchandise .

Anyway, the gran-total (including shipment, tax ) was abot 360 euro ... here in Italy i can't find the Leica 1200 under 550 euro ... and here it's a very good price !

Anyway, the gran-total (including shipment, tax ) was abot 360 euro ... here in Italy i can't find the Leica 1200 under 550 euro ... and here it's a very good price

It amazed me how much more expensive optics and guns were in Germany and Austria than the U S when I was over there in 2008. Glad you found a great deal.

+1 w/ JD's comment about the bino buddy it's a pricless article !
The Leica glass is phenominal !
The one thing I won't leave home without is my Swaro's.. if weight is an issue, I'll skimp somewhere else.

Another vote for buying from Doug at Cameraland, he stands behind his stuff. I also shopped the Leica rangefinder sale and got a 1200 CRF.

The compact binos are good while the light is up, but I have found that a larger objective is needed at sunrise and sunset when the light is down.

jim

Back