Leupold Compact 15-30 spotting scope?

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I have been using a Bushnel 15-40 spotting scope that was given to me, and now want to up grade to better glass. Main use is a 100-200 yards bench scope for 22 cal to 35 cal rifles.

I can't spend much over $400 so would this scope work for me? Its a big step up in quality and was hoping it would work as good or better than the higher power cheap scope does. Most of the time the bushnel is set about 25-30 do to its sallow depth of focus if turned up so its hard to even focus if cranked.

We own a Leupold spotting scope, a few years old, and I think 15-40 power. I can check if you really need to know. Frankly I've been horribly disappointed with it. I have a cheap $125 Simmons rifle scope that often works better than using the Leupold. I can seldom see a 200 yard target clearly, even if the target is a Shoot-n-See type. There is no way I could think of seeing 22 cal hits at 200 yards with this scope.

At the $400 price point I might look at this one:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback20-60x60

Or this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...or_xf_60a_15_45x60_angled_spotting_scope.html

However, I've not used either one.

I would highly recommend visiting your nearest store such as Cabelas, Bass Pro or even Gander and compare some units yourself.

I had a Leupold compact spotter. It was ok but like Dr. Vette said, it was not what I had expected it to be. I sold it and bought a Leupold Golden Ring 15-40x60mm spotter.

JD338

I shoot a few LR matches (800 yds. or more) during the year, and many experienced shooters use scopes of at least 60MM, more 80MMs are seen lately. I was surpried lately when looking thru a $175 Tasco 20-60x80, IIRC. A very clear scope.

As Dr. V. has said, compare as many as you can.

I see it has been awhile since there has been any response to this thread. I also purchased one of the Leupold compact spotting scopes. I don't even bother to bring it elkhunting any longer. Just not what I expected for quality. But, to get good high power resolution you need a much larger objective lens. I do find it suitable for the range out to about 300 yards.

Back