Leupold VX-3 or Swarovski Z3

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Hi fellas, I'm looking into buying another scope for a 300 win mag, I've had the Leupolds before, and was very happy with it, also have a Zeiss HD5 which is a great scope as well. I'd like to get another Zeiss, but not in stock at the moment, but the Leupold VX-3 and Swarovski Z3 are both in stock, and I can get them both on a discount price, which one would you choose?

Thanks,
Lou

They are all good, Lee. I do like Swarovski, and the Z3 if sufficiently discounted can paste a permanent smile on the face of a dedicated shooter. :grin:

DrMike":b6yp9n85 said:
They are all good, Lee. I do like Swarovski, and the Z3 if sufficiently discounted can paste a permanent smile on the face of a dedicated shooter. :grin:

Thanks Mike, it would be with the the 3x10x42 with the 4A reticle, I prefer duplex, but this should work just fine.

Lou

I have the 4-12x50 Swarovski Z3 and have had it for about 10 years. I have had it mounted on my Custom Mauser 7mm Rem Mag and it has never let me down. I would prefer a smaller objective than the 50mm but it gives me all of the performance that I need in low light and optically is better than a VX3. However, it cost at least twice as much as a similar Leupold would have cost, so it should be better.

That 3-10 with the 4A is a great pick in my opinion. I love #4's and the 3-10 should be an awesome set up for your 300 Lou. Swaro's plain #7 reticle is a little thin for me, so the thicker reticle is an advantage in the early morning/later evening sorta hunting, if that is any concern.

BUT, I haven't ever missed a kill because of a plain old VX3 either..

SJB358":20e4j5qb said:
That 3-10 with the 4A is a great pick in my opinion. I love #4's and the 3-10 should be an awesome set up for your 300 Lou. Swaro's plain #7 reticle is a little thin for me, so the thicker reticle is an advantage in the early morning/later evening sorta hunting, if that is any concern.

BUT, I haven't ever missed a kill because of a plain old VX3 either..

Thanks guys,

Scotty, I like the Leupold VX3 as well pal, but for $700 for the Swarovski, I just couldn't pass it up, the Leupold would have been $550.
Lou

I think to be honest, that you have to compare the Z3 Swaro against the VX6 for optic quality despite the magnification formats being different. Plus one only costs about half what the other does.

Lou that is a really good price for the Z3 Swaro but they really don't compare?

Oldtrader3":9qz8vrx2 said:
I think to be honest, that you have to compare the Z3 Swaro against the VX6 for optic quality despite the magnification formats being different. Plus one only costs about half what the other does.

Lou that is a really good price for the Z3 Swaro but they really don't compare?

Thanks Charlie :) ..man, now I'm confused for sure. I've got a budget of $1000 for a scope, but I well wait it out if need be, can't hunt anything right now anyways, but I can still shoot :)

Lou (y)

If you like the Swaro, Lou, go for it. Mine has never failed me and I like it better than my Leupold of a similar format. At that price on the Swaro, you can not lose!

Back