Leupold VX-R or Mark AR illuminated?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Planning ahead for when we catch up on some bills. Which one would you choose between the two for deer hunting? I live in western B.C and it can be dark and brushy not to mention deer often come out at last light.

The VX-R appears to have better glass but I would prefer to have a 1 " scope instead of a 30 mm tube. Not a deal breaker though.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-3-9x40mm-includes-metric/

The Mark AR illuminated looks interesting and has features I would like better like a green dot instead of the red one in the VX-R, comes with a turret and is has a 1 " tube. What concerns me is from the research I've done the glass is good but not as good as the VX-R.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ ... -3-9x40mm/

The Mark AR might be the better buy but I don't want to be disappointed with the glass.

I have the 3-9x50 VX-R on my Whelen. The glass on it is really good for the price. I think you would be pleased with it Gerry.

gerry, my Son had the Minox & stated it was real nice. He however would not trade it for his new VX-R. He has the firedot reticle :).

Blessings,
Dan

Most owners of the VX-R seem to be very happy with it. I looked hard at the Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 but think the Leupold is more fool proof, it looks like the Meopta's switch could get turned on pretty easy and the reticle seems to cover a lot of the target.

Gerry, so far I've been very happy with the glass on my Mark AR. In fact the whole doggone scope impresses me, and it really wasn't very expensive in the world of scopes.

Of course mine is the smaller 1-4x version, and I'm using it in an urban environment, but yeah, the glass is quite useful even in low light.

I like the green "fire dot" reticle as well. Not sure if this helps a lot, but the Mark AR hardly seems a poor choice.

FWIW, Guy

Gerry - was thinking about this a bit - and if shooting at dusk is important, I know of no other scope better than the 6x, 42mm Leupold.

That thing is bright.

I've shot with some of the high end scopes, and they're good, but to my eyes they are no brighter than the 6x Leupold, with the 42mm obj lens... I do not remember using one of the huge 56mm objective scopes though.

Just a thought.

Guy

Back