Leupold VX6

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
Scotty, I will do this but you know how I feel about these things as so many things come into play when buying equipment. IMHO----the VX6 is far better than the VX7. we feel it is better than the Z-3 and certainly rivals the Z-5 especially considering the difference in price and the bells and whistles included with the VX6. Eye Relief, Clarity, in the brightness of day and the dark of night is superb. ( great in early morning and late evening light plus the sun at noon ). My husband prefers the Swaro Z-6, S & M Zenith, and the Zeiss Diavari, but agrees pound for pound the VX6 is a great scope--especially for the money and the warranty. We have rolled a horse over on one and crushed it and they replaced it, no questions asked, and the turn around time is excellent, even if your not in the United States--this is worth something! Other scope manufacturers do stand behind their product, but not always with no questions asked and also the turn around time is always longer.

If your interested in them, but dont like the fact that they only offer the 1-6 x 24 and 2-12 x 42, then you need to wait for a few months. They are not advertising this yet, but they will be producing, in addition to the above a 3-18 x50, a 3-18 x 44 and a 4-24 x 52.

For sure, the VX6 is a bargain; it is what the VX7 should have been. I wouldn't agree that it is superior to the Swarovski Z5, but in full light, it is the equal of the European glass. I haven't yet tested the two together at first light, but that is on the agenda (perhaps this week). Interestingly, I have had occasion to call on Leupold service. I learned it is not free when a scope is damaged. The cost of repair was not prohibitive, but it was not exchanged, no questions asked. Granted, that was a VX3; perhaps the conditions have changed with the VX6. I do concur, however, that for the price, the VX6 is an excellent piece of glass and a bargain. I am looking forward to examining some of the others that will be released. Thanks for posting your views. They are valuable.

Great report Aleena. Thanks for putting that up. It does seem like a great scope for the cost though..

Scotty, thank you

Dr. Mike, I agree 100%. that is why i am always reluctant to post a review. In the hunting world, one size does not fit all. Even in my own family my husband and I disagree about whether a scope is as good as another scope.

A fellow on a different forum that we belong to, has a signature line I like. He says "my wife says she would agree with me but then we would both be wrong" Obviously, as a wife, I like it LOL

Don't hesitate to post a review; it is an assessment that, of necessity, must contain some subjective views. Few people will ever agree 100%. I will agree with this, that anyone who invests in a VX6 will be getting an excellent scope. Whether it is superior to fine European glass or not may be legitimately questioned, but any review of a given scope can only be accurate for that scope. I know that I don't regret owning a couple of VX7 scopes and a VX6, as each is excellent glass. They have not, however, induced me to jettison my Swarovski, Kahles or Zeiss Diavari scopes at this point.

Consequently, I have a wife, and she imagines she is correct on everything. She lets me hold a few opinions, so long as they don't clash with hers. :mrgreen:

Hey, I'm glad you are here and posting. Your views and your experience will be an asset to all who read these posts.

My wife likes the line..........

"If I speak and there is no woman around to hear it, am I still wrong."

:wink: Twisted woman!

DrMike":3ij4dcrs said:
Consequently, I have a wife, and she imagines she is correct on everything. She lets me hold a few opinions, so long as they don't clash with hers. :mrgreen:

I tell my guys at work, I am allowed to be right here, when I get into my truck and go home, I have to play by a whole nother set of rules! :shock:

Thanks for the review since i'm looking at the VX-6 and Swaro Z5 for my new Elk rifle.

SJB358":zioszwzf said:
I tell my guys at work, I am allowed to be right here, when I get into my truck and go home, I have to play by a whole nother set of rules! :shock:

And he is REALLY speaking the truth on that one!

Woodycreek said:
Thanks for the review since i'm looking at the VX-6 and Swaro Z5 for my new Elk rifle.

Here is a perfect example of "which one" Since I have had better luck with Leupold and their replacement policy than Dr. Mike did and since I believe the VX6 is pushing the Z5, even if not quite reaching it, I would save the money and get the VX6. My husband would go the other way and spend a little more money and get a Z6. Also remember the XZ6 will be coming out with a few different sizes ( see my original post ) and they do offer illuminated ( which ours is ).

Dr, Mike, even though I like Leupold, I agree, we are not ready to replace our Swarovski/Kahles, Schmidt and Bender, Diavari, scopes. In fact I am sure my husband would replace me before replacing his scopes LOL

I am sure my husband would replace me before replacing his scopes

Don't mess with a fellow's scope! And as he ages, the scope becomes that much more important. :lol: It is either scope all my rifles, or hunt by braille.

Africa Huntress,

Thanks for posting the info on Leupold. Great info.

JD338

Africa Huntress":2x3gm6ej said:
If your interested in them, but dont like the fact that they only offer the 1-6 x 24 and 2-12 x 42, then you need to wait for a few months. They are not advertising this yet, but they will be producing, in addition to the above a 3-18 x50, a 3-18 x 44 and a 4-24 x 52.

I am definitely interested in the 4-24x52, but I think it comes with a 34mm main tube, or something ridiculous like that. Well, I guess it will be going on a heavy barreled varmint rifle, which ain't exactly svelte, either.

I am sold have asked for a quote to put one on top of my new 35 :wink: Hope to have it soon :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":zzp7bxu7 said:
I am sold have asked for a quote to put one on top of my new 35 :wink: Hope to have it soon :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I also have one and highly recommend it. You have to order this separate but we got the lens caps that screw on and you can just flip them up or down. they are available for the VX6. We got an extra cds free also but dont know if swfa is still offering that. I think you will enjoy the scope

Africa Huntress,

Excellent post and review. I'm waiting for Leupold to start producing a few more selections in the 6 lineup. I shall have a nice old/new rifle ready in a few months and a 6 would look nice on it.
chs.

Back