Light bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor

flyingagg

Beginner
Dec 16, 2019
I have no experience with hammers, but my personal experience with one of the owners and watching how anything negative about them on LRH is shut down, personally I walked away. Just personal choice. Not advocating for or against as I have never tried.

Last edited:

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
My family and I have used the 120 BTs in 260s and 6.5 CMs over the years on deer and have had nothing but good luck with them. They have been excellent both in accuracy and terminal performance.

Ron

Charlie-NY

Handloader
Mar 11, 2005
I have no experience with hammers, but my personal experience with one of the owners and watching how anything negative about them on LRH is shut down, personally I walked away. Just personal choice. Not advocating for or against as I have never tried.

I've shot the 124 Hammers in my Creed and found them to be very accurate. Last year I shot a whitetail in the chest and had the bullet shank exit the rear hindquarter. For shooting whitetails, a much lighter bullet would have been fine. Reloaders have been shooting the 85 Hammers through everything lately. A reduced load would greatly reduce recoil and terminal performance should be good whenever the bullet remains above the expansion threshold, which is indicated as 1,800 ft/sec.

I'm sure the 120gr Nosler is a very effective whitetail bullet but where recoil is a concern, a lighter alternative may be just what the doctor ordered.

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
I'm shooting Hammers in 3 different rifles and have yet to find a negative, other than they are expensive, but for a good hunting bullet I expect that. They are easy to load and find an accurate load, they are very consistent in weight and length. On game performance has been excellent so far, although the 80gr 6mm bullet is the only one I have tested on game.

flyingagg

Beginner
Dec 16, 2019
I'm shooting Hammers in 3 different rifles and have yet to find a negative, other than they are expensive, but for a good hunting bullet I expect that. They are easy to load and find an accurate load, they are very consistent in weight and length. On game performance has been excellent so far, although the 80gr 6mm bullet is the only one I have tested on game.
Always shoot what works for you!

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I used a lot of 120 BT in a 260 rem I owned years ago with excellent results on deer. I have ran the 120 TTSX in a 6.5 CM with great results too, and extremely accurate.