Light weight mountain build, Caliber?

I'd like to have at least 22", with a featherweight contour.
Should probably just buy a weatherby backcountry but what fun is that
Agreed.
Build what you uniquely want with the stock, barrel brand, twist, contour, etc...

:confused:Well I went to the shop today, and to my surprise they had a long action with a mag bolt face there too.
I have always wanted a 264 Win so now I'm really thinking
A 264 Win Mag would make a great long range rifle. I like it!

JD338

That would be a great cartridge. It will definitely reach out and touch something.

:confused:Well I went to the shop today, and to my surprise they had a long action with a mag bolt face there too.
The only thing about this I don't like is that I don't own one. ;) Of course, it has the added bonus of making all the Creedmoor shooters envious.:cool:

The only thing about this I don't like is that I don't own one. ;) Of course, it has the added bonus of making all the Creedmoor shooters envious.:cool:
There are a number of 6.5 chamberings that can make the Creed guys jealous

This will not check off all the boxes you have mentioned but t is a very good mountain caliber and different that the run of the mill.

I was gifted a 275 H & H and it is the rifle I take south when hunting sheep. It also works well on Caribou and Wolf when distance is required

264 Win would be a great choice.
It does blow your short action requirement out of the water though.

I’m of two schools of thought. Depending on what you already have I’d either go 7-08, 270 WSM, or 300 WSM.

If the short action is out of the picture the 264 Win makes a good all around. It’s even been known to take an elk or three.

Vince

StockysStocks had a sale going on so ordered a bottom metal and their last cooper walnut stock. Try and get to the shop in the next couple day 🤞hope its still there.

I built up a lightweight rifle based on a 1912 Chilean Mauser. It was chambered to the .308 Win. The stock was a Lawson lightweight Mountaineer thumbhole. I haven't had it out of the safe in years but IIRC, the barrel was 18 or 19 inches. Shot nicely off the bench with three shots usually about the size of a nickel. Barrel heated up quite fast and would scatter shots. Talk about being lightweight, while I never put it on a scale several people all estimated the it was either 5 pounds or darn close to 5 pounds. I did take a couple of deer with it a long time ago.
Paul B.

264 Win would be a great choice.
It does blow your short action requirement out of the water though.

I’m of two schools of thought. Depending on what you already have I’d either go 7-08, 270 WSM, or 300 WSM.

If the short action is out of the picture the 264 Win makes a good all around. It’s even been known to take an elk or three.

Vince
Custom chambering 264 WSM! Solves all problems.:D

If you're still wanting a short action standard bolt face, you could do a 284 Shehane

Agreed.
Build what you uniquely want with the stock, barrel brand, twist, contour, etc...
I couldn't agree more Ernie is spot on. I've only built 2 rifles but both of them are exactly what I wanted.
Even if it cost more, you will be glad you built what you wanted.

JD338

I love the family of cartridges based off of the 284 Winchester, including the improved ones like the Shehane.
I have guns in 6-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, and of course the 284 Winchester.
The 284 family of cartridges is best suited for a LA or a single-shot SA though in my opinion.
If, I am stuck being limited by a internal or external magazine, the SA magnums (SAUM, PRC, and WSM) would be my pick for more horsepower.

Back