Light weight mountain build, Caliber?

What about the old 284 Winchester? Might be a fun build with a bit extra..

The fella that mentioned the Shehane beat me to it somewhat, but having Lapua brass at your finger tips wouldn't stink.
I was just going to say 284 win. A 6.5 PRC would also be nice, but the 2 we have are on long actions, makes using the long, pointy bullets easier.

I have a Ruger lightweight chambered in 257 Roberts. When loaded and used properly, I would have no problem shooting at an elk. In fact, I did!

If elk is part of your normal hunting a 308 with 165 grn accubonds is what I built at 6 lbs with scope. It will give you a little more assurance with quartering shots than the smaller calibers. In my opinion. It's never failed me. I've not had any recoil issues without a muzzle brake.

For me it would be a hard choice between the 7-08 and the .308 Win. Why hard? Because lately I've been playing with the 7x57 Mauser round at 7-08 pressure levels and I like the results I'm getting. A 150 gr. Nosler Partition pushing close to 2880 FPS looks mighty impressive to me. Shouldn't be difficult to do that in the 7-08.

With that said, I'd probably be more inclined to go with the .308 Win. Availability in ammo, brass and components are a factor in my decision. I do realize it's no big deal to neck down .308 to 7-08 but my choice keeps it simple. A good 165 gr. bullet should suffice for anything up to elk using the .308. I probably would go with the 165 Accuband and never look back.

I do have a very lightweight .308 Win. in a Lawson thumbhole stock that is decently accurate off the bench. Weight is slightly under 6 pounds and maybe closer to 5 pounds, That's the estimates from several friends that handled the rifle. It's a bit hard to shoot offhand and in other hunting positions mainly because of the very light weight. It will let you know your heart is beating, even off the bench.
Paul B.

Mine is the WBY MK V TI 2 in 6.5 RPM. Under 5.75 lbs. minus 3 cartridges ready to go.

Shoots 127 LRX at 3100 fps under 1/2 MOA

Back