Light weight scopes

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Who else besides Leupold makes a light weight scope? I want to make my current rifle as light as I can get it.

Corey

I've looked at them, and maybe I missed it, but I did not see any that were light weight.

Corey

C.Smith":7ha9ia6s said:
Who else besides Leupold makes a light weight scope? I want to make my current rifle as light as I can get it.

Corey

Can you hunt with iron sights? That would be as light as you can get.

Otherwise Leupold is your best best, I use their variables and stay under 12 oz for scope and rings (Talley lightweights). If you go with a fixed power scope, that would be lightest.

jim

I could hunt with irons sights but prefer not too. I guess I will just save for one of the light weight leupolds unless I can sell my savage.

Corey

Depending on your preference in either fixed or variable, you can also go with the lesser expensive FX2 or VX2. They are light weight too.

I've come to the conclusion that I want a low power (can even be fixed) scope. I hunt elk in thick stuff with the longest shot maybe 200 yards but highly doubt full. I'm sure it will be close in.

Corey

I don't really like their scopes, but I think Burris makes some compacts. Or at least they used to.

You may want to check out a 2-7 Nikon Prostaff. I gave one to my dad to put on his 30-30 and I think it's pretty decent glass for the money.

C.Smith

Fixed power will be lighter than a variable.
What kind of rifle, caliber are you using?
What kind of game and terrain are you hunting?

Tough to beat a VXIII 2.5x8.

JD338

It's will go on my Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06. I hunt mountaines terrain and I'm constantly on the move. That is why I want a light weight rifle for my style hunting. Off all the times I have been hunting I have no need for a lot of power adn I think I will be well served by a low power smaller objective scope.

I'm just curious of what all my options are. I only have been able to find the Leupolds in the weights I'm looking for, under 10 oz.

Corey

Corey,

I often hunt with a NULA M24 .30-'06, and this year I am going to put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X on it with the NULA lightweight rings (Talley). Previously I had a Leupold XVIII 3.5-10X and a Swaro AV 3.5-10X. I like the Leupold scopes because their product support is second to none. The glass is pretty good too. ;)

jim

My Tikka came with rings on it that did not seem too heavy. Are Talley's light weight too? I have to agree on Leupolds customer service. I bought a used vx1 and sent it back to them to check out and make sure it works. They did this for nothing and where quick about it too.

Corey

Corey,

Talley makes a set of lightweight aluminum alloy rings in addition to their steel units. They are 1 oz IIRC.

jim

VX-III 2.5-8x36mm is about as light and perfect a scope for the 30-06 as a man can find. Fixing to own my second one soon and it will be on my new 06.

Corey,

The Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36mm weighs in at 11.4 oz and will give you all the magnification you need for your style of hunting.
FWIW, this is my favorite scope. On 8x I have no problem sighting in on a black 6" bull at 500 yds.

This scope will give you a lot of flexibility and is fantastic in low light conditions.

JD338

Back