LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator: Any Experience With?

147 Grain

Beginner
May 17, 2005
barrelderes.jpg

Have any of you experts tried the SVL (Sims Vibration Laboratory) LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator that is supposed to improve accuracy and tighten groups?

barrelderes2.jpg

targets.gif

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/fire ... deres.aspx

Update:

Went to the range today to see how my Remington 7400 30-06 autoloader would do with the Sims Barrel De-Resonator and (after loosening the forend stock's screw to just finger tight) achieved the following results:

August 5, 2005
12:10pm - No wind, but 94*F.
Target Distance: 100 meters
Ammo: Federal Premium Vital Shok 180-gr. Nosler Solid Base
Results: 4 shots within 5/8" from center to center.

barrelderes2.jpg

Previously, with no Barrel De-Resonator and the stock's forend screw very tight:

June 2, 2005
10:30am - Slight East to West wind, and 81*F.
Target Distance: 100 meters
Ammo: Federal Premium Vital Shok 180-gr. Nosler Solid Base
Results: 4 shots within 1 3/4" from center to center

barrelderes.jpg

Seems that these two small adjustments cut the groups in half. The $19.95 Barrel De-Resonator was installed about 7/8" in front of the stock's forend screw, which seems to be the magic spot on this rifle.

P.S.:

The Barrel De-Resonator absorbs the vibrations while the bullet is inside the barrel and tones the barrel's movement for increased accuracy. It was designed to dampen out unwanted vibration by shortening the overall settling time of the barrel. Moreover, I believe the accuracy benefit can provide sub-minute angle groups with over-the-counter factory ammunition - given a shooter who's mastered very basic shooting skills.

Moving the rubber De-Resonator along the barrel alters vibrations in the same manner a reloader would add or subtract a 1/2 grain of power for improved accuracy.

The principle is the same for reloading, using a rubber Barrel De-Resonator, or BOSS on Browning rifles.

2nd Update:

Just returned from the range again, and after experimenting with the Limbsaver Barrel De-Resonator on a stable bolt action with less moving parts, observed that the device did not affect accuracy at all.

Rifle was my son's brand new Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 30-06 that was given for his earning of the Eagle Scout and Duty to God Awards.

700sps_ss.jpg

Will still use the device on the Remington 30-06 autoloader which I firmly believe makes a difference due to it's multitude of moving parts.

7400sy.jpg

Back