Lipsey's Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen! (not buying it)

Funny story...
When I first moved in with my wife, she asked why I needed so many firearms?
First, I asked her what need had to do with it? When she gave me a quizzical look, I looked out the front window at the corrals and asked her why she needed so many horses?
She hasn't asked or said anything about it again since!

Although she has bought a few firearms for herself now over the years! She loves her Lipsey's Edition Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage!
And after shooting my LH Browning X Bolt All Weather in 6.5 Creedmoor, and used it to take her Arapawa rams in New Zealand last year (her first big game), bought her own LH X Bolt Hunter in 6.5 CM.
Maybe Guy can get his wife to buy it and she will let him borrow it, hint, hint:ROFLMAO: Dan.

After the first, the next four are not easy to justify.
Does one have to jstify the choice? Prime example; I have five rifles chambered to the .300 Win. mag. A Winchester M70 Walmart special that was priced too good to turn down. Excellent shooter BTW. The there are four Ruger #1s in .330 Win. mag, three in the "S" model and one in the "B" configuration. All four shoot just as good as the M70.

When I got the first #1B it was a special order. but not for their "B" version. I'd ordered the "S" as I strongly prefer that style. The distributor sent a "B" model. (GRRR!) When my dealer called to complain, they were told that that was all there was, take it or return it. (Much longer GRRRRRRR!) None the less I took it and it proved to be very accurate with the 200 gr. Speer Hot core load I prefer.

I never even saw an "S" model until sometime in the early 1990s when I bought the first one which turned out to be one of the ones marked "Made in the 200th year of American liberty." So was the second one I came across so bought it. Both were equal in accuracy to the #1B I first bought. The last one was a later model class as a black pad gun. It had pretty nice wood so it came home with my. It too is very accurate with my .200 gr. bullet load. FWIW all four have decent wood with the #1B being the plainest of the herd.

I really enjoyed hunting with my Ruger #1s but I do consider them fair weather rifles. Ruger does a really lousy job sealing the interior wood on their rifles. and includes the M77s as well as the #1s. I used the #1B early on during an elk hunt in Oregon in the John Day area. I ran into a seriously strong storm that dropped rain like I have seen since the time I rode out a typhoon in Korea. (Typhoon Flossie, 1964) Exterior wood was was so swollen that I removed all the wood to keep the stock from splitting. Put the metal in the safe after drying it out a best I could and stored the wood out in my shed. I'd take it out and put it back on the gun about once a year, take it to the range and shoot a group and made no adjustment to the scope. Long story short it took six years for that rifle to shoot to shoot close enough to point to try and adjust the scope for a proper hit on the target.
Paul B.

Back