Lipsey's Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen! (not buying it)

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
CEPSso5h.jpg

1706141206073.png
Advertised at $1,579.00 :) - Clarification - I'm unlikely to buy one, I just saw the ad, thought it was cool, and thought I'd share with the good folks here on the Nosler forum. Looks like one heck of a rifle.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
My dad had a small gun shop so I had my choice of what to hunt with. On every hunt but one since my dad built me my Whelen in the mid 70's in has been what I carried. Moose, Caribou, deer, Black or Brown bear it was the one. The one time I did not take it sure enough I ran nose to nose with a Kodiak brownie and I had a 270 in my hands. Never again!

Guy,
You are going to really like the 35 Whelen.
It nips at the heels of the 338 Win Mag from an '06 case.

JD338
I'm still "thinking about it." No more need it than anything. Just thought it was a cool rifle when I saw the Lipsey's ad.

One thing I like about the specs is the 1:12 twist - as I understand, that's faster than many 35 Whelen rifles and should do a fine job of stabilizing the longer, heavier bullets.

So... The post was intended more as a notification to all the fine folks here on the Nosler Forum that I'd bumped into an interesting rifle. I've got a feeling that I'll not be buying one. Truly have no need. I just like it. :)

Guy

Well I think I'd be very interested but really don't know why. I already have three; a Ruger M77RS tanger, a Remington M700 Classic and a custom Mauser I snagged at a gun show. FWIW, that Mauser has six elk to its credit as it stands right now. So need would not but a good reason to buy one. The M77 and M700 have 22" 1 in 16" twist barrels and shoot most available bullets just fine. The only ones I haave not run through them are the Hornady 275 gr. round nose bullet that they dropped back around 1966 give or take a year. hey were listed as discontinued in the first Hornady manual circa 1967. With only about 85 of those bullets eing all I have, I don't relish wasting a few to see if a1 in 16" twist will stabilize the. The custom Mauser has a 1 in 14" barrel and I think they'd work just fine in that rifle should a T-Rex or some other nastiness invade my back yard.

My current load for the .35W runs the 225 gr. TSX at 2710 FPS and so far it's killed everything stone dead, one shot each.

Guy. Seriously, you should get one. You don't know what you're missing. Take into consideration that Remington dictated to SAAMI what the max load should be and like with the .280 Rem. dictated mild pressure so the loads would be nice in their pump and semi-auto rifles, the emasculated another fine cartridge. The TSX load I mentioned is a bit too warm for the M77 and M700 but is fine. If I drop back tp 2600 FPS the load works just fine in all three rifles. I keep it at 2710 FPS for the Mauser and run 250 gr. Partitions in the M700 and a 280 cast bullet in the Ruger. Still working with the Ruger though. Bullet holes in the paper look OK, no sign of tipping but groups are rinning to 4 or 5 inches. Just trying to get them to gather closer together.
Paul B.

I'm still "thinking about it." No more need it than anything. Just thought it was a cool rifle when I saw the Lipsey's ad.

One thing I like about the specs is the 1:12 twist - as I understand, that's faster than many 35 Whelen rifles and should do a fine job of stabilizing the longer, heavier bullets.

So... The post was intended more as a notification to all the fine folks here on the Nosler Forum that I'd bumped into an interesting rifle. I've got a feeling that I'll not be buying one. Truly have no need. I just like it. :)

Guy
Everyone needs a Whelen. If the founders hadn't all been drunk at the time, they'd have made owning one a requirement to vote. ;)

Guy
You should know better than posting something like that around here lol. The 1 in 12 twist is nice to have.

I have yet to kill game with my .338Wm and probably never will but I can't say that about my M70 35 Whelen Ackley improved. Man what a hard hitting caliber using 225gr partitions.
Guy I think it was you who told me my 225gr Pt load Dewy helped me develop was generating 4000lb of muzzle energy. I think if I had to encounter a Grizzly my 35 Whelen AI is what I want in my hands.

Guy
And what does need have to do with it?!?!
Just do it!
A nice pairing to your 25-06 and 30-06!

Funny story...
When I first moved in with my wife, she asked why I needed so many firearms?
First, I asked her what need had to do with it? When she gave me a quizzical look, I looked out the front window at the corrals and asked her why she needed so many horses?
She hasn't asked or said anything about it again since!

Although she has bought a few firearms for herself now over the years! She loves her Lipsey's Edition Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage!
And after shooting my LH Browning X Bolt All Weather in 6.5 Creedmoor, and used it to take her Arapawa rams in New Zealand last year (her first big game), bought her own LH X Bolt Hunter in 6.5 CM.

Back