Load development in wind

As little as possible... I like to go at sunrise, when it is nill..... Remove the varibles....

If I go in the wind, I dont have the same expectations....

Rod

Banshee,

If the snow is blowing parallel to the ground, shooting is pretty much out of the question.

Sometimes when I have to shoot in the wind, I settle for measuring the vertical dispersion of the shots out at 300 - 600 yards. That still can tell a lot about the load. The horizontal spread tells more about my ability to call the wind... Which isn't usually too good.

That said, I don't see much point in shooting long range in really high winds... Unless an exercise in frustration is desired...

Our range faces south and there are thick pines on the west and east side and the shooting area has an 6ft wall that protects our back, so unless winds are in excess of constant 25-30 mph winds, I can shoot with out much concern when developing loads.

Bullet - that's pretty nice, having wind breaks and all. Here's my gun club rifle range. Note all the trees...

IMG_1025.jpg

1489223e.jpg

The North Central Washington is also known as "Home of the Wind Buckers." It can be a real challenge shooting 600 yard matches here. The wind just roars through that ravine sometimes..

Hey Guy, I see that you all have NO wind ISSUES on your RANGE!!!!!!

I too like no wind. I'm out setting up before it's light enough to shoot just to take advantage of the calm. When I can see the target, I start. Our range runs north/south, benches & clubhouse in the south, trees on the west side & burms on the north (200 yds.) & east. If I have to shoot in a wind, south is best & north next if not too windy. I avoid east and west winds if I'm testing. I'll wait another day.

Back