Loading the 30-06 for South Africa Plains Game

Wow. That sounds like it will be the hunt of a lifetime. Looks like you are getting well prepared. Best of luck to you. Dan

No doubt the boring old '06 will work just fine. No doubt the CX will work. Much as we might enjoy having E-Tips, we live in a world in which we are compelled to work with what is available.

No doubt you will need a pry bar to get the smile off your face when you return. Safe journey and best of luck, my friend! My brother went to SA around 10 years ago and took his boring 30-06 and 180 Accubonds and 200 partitions. The results were quite impressive on the animals. The wildebeest soaked up a 200 Partition.
59B779AE-118E-4C3E-859C-512AB7B86589.jpeg

You'll have the time of your life. Took my son when he graduated college. Best 10 days ever.
I have one my WBY 300 set up with 180 grain mono, shoots .439 at 200 yards. Have not hunted with it yet...

You'll have the time of your life. Took my son when he graduated college. Best 10 days ever.
I have one my WBY 300 set up with 180 grain mono, shoots .439 at 200 yards. Have not hunted with it yet...
Wow! Great that you hunted with your son, and...

.439" at 200 yards... Wow!

Regards, Guy

Wow! Great that you hunted with your son, and...

.439" at 200 yards... Wow!

Regards, Guy
I wish I could take all the credit but I had a gunsmith in Houston tune that one for me. MKV Accumark.
My other MKV's shoot about .5 at 100, but only extra work was a brake. Shoot that with both 180 and 200 Accubonds.

Hi Guy, as you said in the video, distances will be up to mid-range. So BC will not be that big of an issue.
I use monos for about 10 years now and load them for others, too.
If you keep above minimum speed, most work rather similar and the differences are mostly marketing.
The old GMX had some accuracy-problems here with high batch to batch variations. Hope the new one does better.
The bigger the game, the better the results usually are. I guess even for Africa you could go down to 150 gr to gain some speed, but the 168 TTSX did ok in my 30-06.
For a friend I go down to 130 gr in a short 308.
He is happy so far.
Enjoy your time and we want the story afterwards!

Good luck out there Guy!

Just read the article you wrote. Good luck with the hunt and I am looking forward to hearing about what you see with the CX. Hornady has been doing a banner job of keeping bullets in our hands and my hats off to them for keeping them moving and available.

No doubt you will need a pry bar to get the smile off your face when you return. Safe journey and best of luck, my friend! My brother went to SA around 10 years ago and took his boring 30-06 and 180 Accubonds and 200 partitions. The results were quite impressive on the animals. The wildebeest soaked up a 200 Partition.
View attachment 16886
Nice! Have you seen a crazier annimal than a wildebeest?

Guy, I found some of the 165 gr. CX bullets to try out. What kind of bullet jump did you find worked for the CX bullets you loaded? Dan

If you can find some 180gr Fail Safes bullets that would be a excellent bullet for Africa in 06
56.0 of IMR 4350 in 30-06

Last edited:
180 grain Fail Safe bullets performed very well for me until they were no longer available. They were my "go to" bullet in my 300 WSM for a number of years. Fortunately, there are other options. However, if you can find them, they will perform for you.

Back