Looking for a 257 Roberts.... I found one!

AK7AN

Beginner
Oct 30, 2015
Other that a custom gun, I am looking for a Long Action rifle in 257 Bob for a Christmas gift for my wife. Does any of the manufacturers chamber this caliber right now? I was able to pick up one 9 yrs ago, Ruger M77 MKII, on closeout at Sportsmans, but haven't had much luck locating one now.
Thanks
Ed

Not sure as I have not looked recently...
But Remington did make a run of their Model 700 Limited SF in 257 Roberts a few years back that may be able to find. Not sure that it was built on a long action though.

Ruger did a run recently of the No. 1 RSI in 257 Roberts as well. Nice rifle.

SJB358":31vm6flw said:
What about a M70? They are built on LAs?

I have one but Big W has the magazine blocked. They have it blocked on the 7x57 as well. I thought about making changes but they shoot so well as is that I haven't bothered.
Paul B/

Mine is a custom barreled 725 Remington. Considered by some as a magnum action with plenty of length for long cartridges and an over kill for the 257 Roberts but it works great oh yeah it's not for sale, sorry.
Gun Broker has a bunch of them for sale from $500 to $4000.

Go to the MONTANA RIFLE COMPAY site and they can hook you up with the best of the 98 Mauser and the Model 70 in the product that they produce. I have not shot one but went up and looked at the company and loved on several of their rifles. Appear to be very excellent rifles.

Now they don't have them in the long action for the .257 although if you requested it, I'm sure that they could build you one up for a few extra bucks. But...............the internal magazine length is listed at 3.125 for the short action so that should be plenty long. My son's Ruger Model 77 MKII is right at about 3" and it is plenty long for seating bullets out there if you like.

http://montanarifleco.com/#

They list the .257 Roberts with a 22" barrel but if you wanted, I'm sure they would also give you a 24" tube! They don't list 6mm Remington as one of their chamberings but In speaking with them they would more than gladly chamber it for me in a 24" barrel 1-9 twist for about $100.00 more than the standard rifle chamberings.

The X2 would be fantastic!! Put a 6x36mm or 6x42 Leupold with the LR duplex reticle and she would be all set.

That rifle tabbed by taylorforce is a long action model 700. I have the same rifle only it ain't near new in the box. It is a great rifle and I can't recommend any rifle over it. It is by far my favorite rifle and has been deadly reliable for 34 years.

Ed,

David gave you an excellent lead. Montana makes excellent rifles. Since it is for your wife you might also consider the Kilimanjaro Artemis. They will use the action of your choice--a long Win 70, Granite Mountain, Dakota, and a couple others from memory. The Artemis is a rifle built for a female. I know someone who has one and it is a very nice rifle, shoots well, fits well, an looks nice. they carry some in stock and might just have a 257 Roberts all ready for her. What a nice christmas gift. Lucky lady

I bought a Montana rifle and was impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle. However, my short action .243 Winchester weighed North north of 9 lbs by the time I put a Leupold scope on it (VXII 3-9X40). Id imagine a long action Montana would weight closer to 10 lbs if not over depending on optics installed. The only thing I'd buy from Montana is their action, that way I could chose my parts to build it into a lighter rifle.

I didn't realize the Remington Classic I linked was a long action, I did it from my phone and didn't check the pictures closely. My daughter shoots a Classic in .300 Savage, it's an extremely accurate rifle. I've also been around Classics in 8X57 and .35 Whelen both of which were very accurate. My daughter is 5' 10" and while the stock probably isn't perfect for her, she won't let me change a thing.

taylorce1 makes a good point about the weight with the Montana. I don't know the weight of the Kilimanjaro Artemis, but the lady I know who has one, has never mentioned it being a problem. Also, Ed, check out the Saur S101 Artemis, it only weights 6.5 pounds, sans scope. taylorce1, it is always a pleasure hearing about a father/daughter hunting team

Europe":2ccf7iuf said:
taylorce1 makes a good point about the weight with the Montana. I don't know the weight of the Kilimanjaro Artemis, but the lady I know who has one, has never mentioned it being a problem. Also, Ed, check out the Saur S101 Artemis, it only weights 6.5 pounds, sans scope. taylorce1, it is always a pleasure hearing about a father/daughter hunting team

Kilimanjaro Rifles, Conneticut Shotguns, S & B scopes-----am I too old to be adopted ???????????

taylorce1--I also think it is great you and your daughter hunt together

Cheyenne,
I'm too old to be adopted too but maybe April would make an exception for us??? :grin:

LOL---Dewey, I will talk to her and see if she wants a NEW son and daughter ==lol

Dewey, great idea about the Kimber. a fellow up here has something called a Caprivi in the 375 H & H--nice rifle.

I know I am definitely old school and still young and healthy---but--I don't like the light rifles, especially the ones Dewey refers to as "silly light", they just don't work for me.

AK7AN----what a nice husband to do this for your wife. I do have one question however, is the 257 Roberts something she likes, or you like. I don't own a 257 Roberts, but I do hunt wolves with my husbands 257 Weatherby and enjoy using it when I do. Looking at the ballistics, the Weatherby may give her a bit "more", of everything--no big deal, just wondering

It's a good thing I'm happily married, 45years to the same woman or I would be considering a court ship :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

yukon huntress":w57tajmp said:
Europe":w57tajmp said:

Kilimanjaro Rifles, Conneticut Shotguns, S & B scopes-----am I too old to be adopted ???????????

taylorce1--I also think it is great you and your daughter hunt together

I didn't have any boys and she asked at eight if she could hunt elk, what's a father to say? We started small with Oklahoma white tail deer when she was nine. She missed her elk hunt last year because I broke my leg, we're going this year with some hunting buddies to help her out. I'm going to try and keep up but my leg still bothers me.

One thing I learned working with my daughter is to let her make her own choices. She picks the rifle and cartridge and I figure a way to make it work. So far we've made it work pretty well.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Looks like anywhere from $900 to $14,000 would cover it. :shock: I could probably handle around 1200 to 1500, but herein lies the problem. My wife needs a rifle with about a 12.25 inch LOP, so a custom stock would be in order. Not sure what that would tally up to. The Ruger M77 270Win that she shoots now, I shortened the stock myself so she could shoot it comfortably.

As far as her liking the 257 Roberts she expressed the interest in one after seeing how nice my Ruger M77 MKII performs... lite recoil and nice groups. So not sure how the Weatherby option would work.. Although the Vanguard Camilla option in 243 Win might solve the problem, but I just dislike 20 in barrels..

It is to bad that all the rifle makers build a cookie cutter rifle with LOP of 13.5, we are not all the same size and stature..

Once again I appreciate the ideas and replies... keep em coming.. (y)

Have her look at the M70 Winchester featherweight compact in 7mm-08. It will perform the same as the .257 Roberts on deer with 120 grain bullets. I'd also have no qualms taking a saw to the stock to shorten up the LOP and installing a new recoil pad, that's what I did for my daughter with a couple of rifles when she was smaller. Fit is the most important thing to shooting comfort in my opinion.

I'll second the 7-08. You can easily match a 25/06 out to about 450-500 yds, with a 120, and just as easily match a 257 Roberts. A Hell'va lot easier to find a rifle, as well as ammo.

HMMMMMMM ??? $500-$600 vs $900-$1400. That could be a lot of ammo sent down range, and THAT will count more than the 257R on the head stamp. No difference in recoil either.

Back