Looong Throat Bullet Suggestions

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
Working on my Dads Winchester 70 that was rebarreled to .30-338 25 or more years ago. It's a 10 twist, either Hart or Lilja....can't remember which. Anyway, the old Model 70 mag box will only allow about 3.350 OAL, it's another .230 to the lands (yes, .230). It is very accurate with a SMK, Berger or the like seated at a reasonable distance to the lands but single shot only. My quest is for a hunting bullet that offers acceptable hunting accuracy at magazine length. I have to mail order (rural Alaska) bullets so I'd like to eliminate as much of the guessing game as possible. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I shoot a lot of military rifles, and long throats are the norm, rather than the exception with these. I've found flat base, short ogive to be the formula for attaining top accuracy with these. Some that match this profile in solid big game bullets in .308 are the Norma Oryx, Nosler Partition in the heavier weights, Speer Grand Slam, and Swift A-Frame. You might try a conventional bullet like the Speer 200 or Hornady 220 and see if this theory holds for your rifle before spending the bucks on the premiums. Have also heard of the Lee Factory Crimp being useful for improving accuracy with large freebore.

You won't be wowed by the BCs on these, but they are all proven big game killers.

I've found rifles with lots of free bore sometimes shoot best with bullets that have a long bearing surface like Hornady flat base bullets. The Weatherbys I had shot best with Hornady flat base bullets and didn't care for boat tail bullets.
Billy

Thanks for replies. Today I loaded 168 Amax, 178 and 212Eldx, and 180 Speer BT as these are what I have on hand. Also have some 180 Remington Corelockt, and some antique Herters 220 RN. after reading this I should try them. I ended up being able to stretch my COAL to 3.370....I'll take all I can get. [emoji1]

Cold here today so no range time. Next snow. Maybe in a few days I can report back if anyone is interested.

These bullets like a big jump for accuracy. Barnes TTSX(better choice than TSX) and Nosler AB.

In the case you have use 160-185gr Barnes TTSX and push them fast for best accuracy and terminal performance.

Divernhunter":38u0atdk said:
These bullets like a big jump for accuracy. Barnes TTSX(better choice than TSX) and Nosler AB.

In the case you have use 160-185gr Barnes TTSX and push them fast for best accuracy and terminal performance.

Thanks. I have some 175
LRX around here somewhere, I'll load a few.

I have also had good luck increasing accuracy with loooooog throat rifles by loading to magazine length and using a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Try some 180gr Accubonds or E-Tips,also 200gr Accubonds.These three bullets shoot very well out of my long throated 300 Win Mag.

gbflyer":1aehz4hx said:
Working on my Dads Winchester 70 that was rebarreled to .30-338 25 or more years ago. It's a 10 twist, either Hart or Lilja....can't remember which. Anyway, the old Model 70 mag box will only allow about 3.350 OAL, it's another .230 to the lands (yes, .230). It is very accurate with a SMK, Berger or the like seated at a reasonable distance to the lands but single shot only. My quest is for a hunting bullet that offers acceptable hunting accuracy at magazine length. I have to mail order (rural Alaska) bullets so I'd like to eliminate as much of the guessing game as possible. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Another thought is to throw a H&H length Mag box, follower and shortened bolt stop and ejector in the rifle. I’ve done it with a few 70’s. This will let you out to 3.6”. It’s a pretty easy deal. It’ll give you a bunch more options and it’s all easily done at home and it might cost you 50 bucks in parts.

SJB358":2a520rdy said:
gbflyer":2a520rdy said:

Thanks in advance.

Another thought is to throw a H&H length Mag box, follower and shortened bolt stop and ejector in the rifle. I’ve done it with a few 70’s. This will let you out to 3.6”. It’s a pretty easy deal. It’ll give you a bunch more options and it’s all easily done at home and it might cost you 50 bucks in parts.

Thanks, that sounds good. I've read that the opening has to be milled to accept the h and h mag box? I don't have a mill, but sure not above having it done if I can't get it to shoot.

gbflyer":1w7rsr70 said:
SJB358":1w7rsr70 said:
gbflyer":1w7rsr70 said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, that sounds good. I've read that the opening has to be milled to accept the h and h mag box? I don't have a mill, but sure not above having it done if I can't get it to shoot.

If it is a M70 action, you don't need to mill anything GB. Chances are your mag has a spacer block in it to keep it at 3.4". The H&H length box will fit right in there with no worry. The P64's were all the same length from 22 Hornet to 375 H&H. The only difference was the mag block, ejector and bolt stop length. Pretty easy deal that shouldn't require any milling.

SJB358":1x87hu26 said:
gbflyer":1x87hu26 said:
SJB358":1x87hu26 said:
gbflyer":1x87hu26 said:

Thanks in advance.

If it is a M70 action, you don't need to mill anything GB. Chances are your mag has a spacer block in it to keep it at 3.4". The H&H length box will fit right in there with no worry. The P64's were all the same length from 22 Hornet to 375 H&H. The only difference was the mag block, ejector and bolt stop length. Pretty easy deal that shouldn't require any milling.

I'll have to look at that. Thank you for the tip!

To add to Scottys comments, I had a Wyatts magazine box installed in my Remington 700. I know , apples and oranges. What it gave me was the ability to grow my magazine to 3.75. Worth the 150.00 bucks I spent on the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no spacer. My mag well is what is referred to then as "short Magnum", not to be confused with the short fat mag cartridges of today. I am wanting to get to the H & H magnum opening. I shamelessly poached this pic here: https://pre64win.com/blogs/welcome-to-t ... first-post

The link above explains the differences.

The middle picture is what I have. The top picture is what I need:

760ae7c65f97486e4ca6d5c7d59bbd06.jpg

I don't think it's a huge deal to do the milling for someone who knows what they're doing.

gbflyer":3tru2xl0 said:
There is no spacer. My mag well is what is referred to then as "short Magnum", not to be confused with the short fat mag cartridges of today. I am wanting to get to the H & H magnum opening. I shamelessly poached this pic here: https://pre64win.com/blogs/welcome-to-t ... first-post

I don't think it's a huge deal to do the milling for someone who knows what they're doing.

Great picture GB. If I remember when I get home tonight I will check out a couple of mine and see what the difference is. I can't remember there being a difference on them, but your picture tells me otherwise. I am learning here.

SJB358":3s0j9vx6 said:
gbflyer":3s0j9vx6 said:

Great picture GB. If I remember when I get home tonight I will check out a couple of mine and see what the difference is. I can't remember there being a difference on them, but your picture tells me otherwise. I am learning here.

I didn't know and still don't know much but I'm learning too. I think the newer Classics built in New Haven did have the spacer in the rear of the mag box and the mag well was cut long on all of them. The pre-64 had to be opened for the H and H, I read somewhere that Winchester lost money on every one of those.

Long throats seem to like long bullets. I have four rifles in .300 Win. Mag., three Ruger #1's and a Winchester M70. Two bullets work the best in all four rifle. Either the Speer Hot Core or Nosler Partition in 200 grain weight will shoot sub MOA in those rifles. Both bullets push close to 2900 FPS but the powder I use is no longer available so unless you have some Winchester magnum Rifle (WMR) my data won't help.
I guess what I'm saying is try working with one of the 200 gr. bullets. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Paul B.

Back