LR mag primer

otter25

Beginner
May 22, 2012
I'm shooting a 20 inch barrel 6.5 Creed, getting 2550 fps w/ the Hornady factory 143gr ELDX. I want to load the 140 gr Nosler BT w/ RL26. I'm wondering if a LR mag primer would help get me the velocity I'm looking for (2700/2800 fps). Any input would be appreciated.

I'm shooting a 20 inch barrel 6.5 Creed, getting 2550 fps w/ the Hornady factory 143gr ELDX. I want to load the 140 gr Nosler BT w/ RL26. I'm wondering if a LR mag primer would help get me the velocity I'm looking for (2700/2800 fps). Any input would be appreciated.
I wouldn't worry about it.
18" 6.5 Creed with Match Hornady 147 ELD-M ammunition. 2470 fps.
Also loaded the same bullet (Fed Match primer) 2440 fps.
Even with the slower reloaded ammo, I am still at 1800 fps impact velocity at 650 yards, and jut under 900 yards, my impact velocity is 1600 fps

Winchester large rifle primers are already pretty hot if you have any.

RL-26 will boost that velocity up a bit, but you will have case fill issues before you get to max pressure. If you use a drop tube, you may get some powder up to the necks and close to the case mouth. You will feel some powder crunch when you seat those bullets. You won't be able to get 2800 fps with the 20 inch barrel, possible around 2600 or a hair more.

If you use LR mag primers, drop your load about a grain and work up slow.

Do you have some H4350? H4350 is the bees knees for the Creedmoor. My 6.5 Creedmoor loves them.

I have Fed 210M and Fed 215 Mag. My thinking was with a mag primer I would get a more complete powder burn with RL26. To get those speeds I may have to go to a 130gr

I have Fed 210M and Fed 215 Mag. My thinking was with a mag primer I would get a more complete powder burn with RL26. To get those speeds I may have to go to a 130gr
Have you checked and see how much the RL-26 fills those cases? Just curious.

Maybe try RL23 if you have it or can get it. Possibly SB 6.5. They will get you to the pressures you’ll need for the velocity you’re trying to achieve. You still may not get it before pressure gets you. Powder volume of the case is your limiting factor. I personally love RL23. It gives me excellent accuracy and velocity where applicable. Staball 6.5 may get you to within 50-75 fps of where you want to be. It may get you there depending on your rifle. It’ll be at top pressures though. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but barrel length may limit the outcome. Use a chronograph and measure case head expansion.

My advice is, do not try to make a 6.5 Needmoor a 26 Nosler. Like making a Mazda a Corvette. Lol.

Powders that are too slow for useful barrel burn curves will soot your bore horribly (and cause hard carbon rings) and cause unnecessary muzzle blast and recoil.
The only sensible solution is to use longer barrels, 30".

Your velocity goal for a 140 gr BT can't be done safely with a 20" barrel. Also running at top end pressures is going to affect case life. I think you would be better suited to go to a 120-130 gr bullet and stick with H4350 or RL17 if you need to be at your velocity goal.
What rifle are you shooting and what are you planning on using the rifle/load for?

JD338

I'm shooting a Ruger American. The reason I'm chasing High FPS is to try for the DRT. I'm also going to aim for the high shoulder shot as well. I'm an old guy w/bad legs and just can't hunt like I used to. No more long drags. I think the 130gr Acubond might be the way to go. Ranges are short here in Maine anyway.

RL-26 will boost that velocity up a bit, but you will have case fill issues before you get to max pressure. If you use a drop tube, you may get some powder up to the necks and close to the case mouth. You will feel some powder crunch when you seat those bullets. You won't be able to get 2800 fps with the 20 inch barrel, possible around 2600 or a hair more.

If you use LR mag primers, drop your load about a grain and work up slow.

Do you have some H4350? H4350 is the bees knees for the Creedmoor. My 6.5 Creedmoor loves them.
I use H-4350 as well in mine

I'm shooting a Ruger American. The reason I'm chasing High FPS is to try for the DRT. I'm also going to aim for the high shoulder shot as well. I'm an old guy w/bad legs and just can't hunt like I used to. No more long drags. I think the 130gr AccuBond might be the way to go. Ranges are short here in Maine anyway.
Double shoulder shoot them.
Also go to a thinner skinned bullet like the 147 ELD-M or the 140 ELD-M. Do not go to the 130 ELD-M as you probably will not get a exit (Unless that is what you are looking for.
Nothing wrong with the 130 or 140 AB's

Agree with Ernie. I have used the high shoulder shot on many deer, they go straight down and never get up. The 130 gr AB workout very will in the 6.5 mm Rem Mag for me.
My wife uses the 129 gr ABLR in her 6.5 CM. The deer just drop.
Don't worry about the speed, pick the right bullet and let it do it's intended job. All you need is a razor sharp knife.

JD338

I'm shooting a Ruger American. The reason I'm chasing High FPS is to try for the DRT. I'm also going to aim for the high shoulder shot as well. I'm an old guy w/bad legs and just can't hunt like I used to. No more long drags. I think the 130gr Acubond might be the way to go. Ranges are short here in Maine anyway.
I have a Henry 6.5 Creed it shoots great one of my recipes is a Norma Bondstrike 143 grain bullet using 44 grains of Staball 6.5 with a Federal 210M primer. My average speed was around 2750 and I think I could still go maybe up another .2 to .3 grains and get close to 2800 but it is fine where it's at and I may even be near max as this is faster than Norma factory loaded ammo . I could also try a mag primer since Staball is a ball powder. The test when done was at 84 degrees in the summer. Henry Long Ranger has a 22" barrel but pretty dang impressive for a lever action rifle.

If you can get some Staball 6.5 powder you'll get near what you are looking for just remember it is supposed to be temp stable but it is not perfect at cold weather so your mag primer might make it more stable.

Guy almost has your rifle except his is 22" barrel in his test he only got around 2650 fps with the factory ammo while my Staball 6.5 gets 2750.

I understand playing the numbers game but in reality, a couple hundred fps of velocity isn’t going to change anything. An anchoring shot will be the same fast or slow. You can’t miss fast enough to drop em on the spot. Just put the bullet on the mark and watch em drop….

Or, go to 120gr bullets. Even a 100gr ttsx copper, I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot deer in the shoulders.

Last edited:
I don't think so. You might pick up another 50 FPS and then again it may make no difference.

Frankly, 2550 is as much of a handicap as yo might think. A few years back when I was seriously hunting deer, my rifle was a Ruger M77RSI, the full stocked model with 18-5" barrel, in .308 Win, using the 165 gr. speer HC. I killed well over a dozen nice Mule Deer with that load, mostly with one shot. That particular rifle was a real PITA to find a workable hunting load not to mention a little over two years time. If I were to take up deer hunting again I'd grab the rifle and go hunt. If I thought I'd get a shot at 250 yards or less I'd even try it on elk.

Accuracy would be considered dismal by many but it's a consistent 1.50" shooter and that's, at least for this rifle good enough. Would I like more speed and tighter groups? Yes. But it is what it is and I won't let it stop me from doing a hunt.
Paul B.

Is a 260 AI, 6.5 Swede in modern action or another cartridge/rifle an option?? As someone mentioned trying to make your Accord a Corvette ( or something similar to that) usually has big compromises ….

In the case of a 6.5 CM and those velocities a 4-6” l her barrel probably easiest but as you can see it involves said compromise.

Good Luck however you proceed.

Back