M70 7-08 120 BT

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I’ve had this M70 7-08 for a bit.

Decided to empty out the rest of the Lapua cases I had loaded with 35 grains of H4895 with the 120 BTs. I made the load up for the kids to shoot. It’s been accurate in a few 7-08’s.

Looking forward to making up a full power hunting load for the little Featherweight.

Fine shooting. The 7-08 and 120 BT seem to be a match made in heaven. That little pill punches above it's weight class, and from a 7-08 it does a great job on whitetail size critters. A model 70 FWT in 7-08 is on my short list of deer rifles as I get older and the hills get steeper LOL..

Like your FWT. Try some Winchester Staball 6.5 with the Nosler 120BT. It was a grouper and velocity was above 3000fps in the 22in barrel of the Bergara I had. Dan.
My plan is to try some 130 Speers Dan. I have a lot of 132 Bitterroots I wanna try and use in this rifle. I’ll do my load work with the Speers and hope I can make the BBC’s print about the same.

SB6.5 is my number one pick right now. Hodgdon shows some great speed with it using 130’s.

It’s a dandy Featherweight. Got lucky when I scored it.

I used Speer 130 with Big Game and it grouped well just not as fast as Staball 6.5 but did fine on some damage permit kills. It's a good bullet for deer, I think. Dan.

I used Speer 130 with Big Game and it grouped well just not as fast as Staball 6.5 but did fine on some damage permit kills. It's a good bullet for deer, I think. Dan.
That was my back up powder. We’re running the same track this morning.

Like your FWT. Try some Winchester Staball 6.5 with the Nosler 120BT. It was a grouper and velocity was above 3000fps in the 22in barrel of the Bergara I had. Dan.
Dan, can we go ahead and coin the phrase "Super Grouper"? re: accurate load/rifle LOL....Also, and I'm not sure how it will do with that weight class of bullets, but in both our 7-08 Reloder 17 is a champ with the 140's. Accurate and speedy.

That's a chambering I'd be hard pressed to pass up in a featherweight. One better make sure it doesn't show up at a decent price if it doesn't want to go home with me. Nice rifle. (y)

I really liked the 7-08 in the 3 different rifles I messed with it on. Great cartridge in my opinion.

I've had great luck with 42 grains of IMR 4064 in my Model Seven; 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups. Shoots great in the son in laws Tikkas, too.

Nice wood on that FWT
Now if the bolt were on the other side...

DrMike did up the load for my wife's 7mm-08
47.2 gr of IMR4350 with the Sierra 140 gr Pro Hunter and F210M primers.
Do not recall the velocity at the moment, but shoots sub-MOA groups for her in her Steyr Mountain Classic

So far I have tried the Nosler factory ammo with the 140 gr AB in my rebarreled Win Model 88. Looks acceptable so far...just need to get the iron sights set properly.

Nice wood on that FWT
Now if the bolt were on the other side...

DrMike did up the load for my wife's 7mm-08
47.2 gr of IMR4350 with the Sierra 140 gr Pro Hunter and F210M primers.
Do not recall the velocity at the moment, but shoots sub-MOA groups for her in her Steyr Mountain Classic

So far I have tried the Nosler factory ammo with the 140 gr AB in my rebarreled Win Model 88. Looks acceptable so far...just need to get the iron sights set properly.
Yeah, and if Susan gets bored with that fine Steyr...:D

My plan is to try some 130 Speers Dan. I have a lot of 132 Bitterroots I wanna try and use in this rifle. I’ll do my load work with the Speers and hope I can make the BBC’s print about the same.

SB6.5 is my number one pick right now. Hodgdon shows some great speed with it using 130’s.

It’s a dandy Featherweight. Got lucky when I scored it.
I don't own a 7 08, but a few hunters in my group has bagged small to big game with it. Look forward to see your results soon.
Good shooting and nice lightweight rifle.

I have a pair of 7-08s. That is a fun cartridge to load for. Many powders will work in it making it very versatile.

That's a chambering I'd be hard pressed to pass up in a featherweight. One better make sure it doesn't show up at a decent price if it doesn't want to go home with me. Nice rifle. (y)

I really liked the 7-08 in the 3 different rifles I messed with it on. Great cartridge in my opinion.
Yes sir I'd buy one also if it presented itself. Dan.

I did a little speed work up last week, but ran out of time before I got to shoot them on paper. I was sitting on a solid node at 3000 with the 130's. The proof is in the paper, but if they group decently, I'll try some of the BBC's.

You guys are right though, the little 7-08 is a gem to work with. Being a Model 70 makes it that much better'er...

Back