MI WT Deer with a Hand Gun

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I went out this morning to hunt WT Deer with my hand gun. As dawn broke, I was sitting at the base of a wild cherry in a overgrown tree line that overlooks a couple of well used runways. With a south wind in my face and the temp at a brisk 25 degrees, I setteled in for the morning watch. The turkeys started making a fuss as they came through the funnel I was watching. I took note of the time, 8:05 AM. I thought I would pour myself a thurmos cup of coffee and enjoy the sights and sounds. I got one nice sip and crack, something big was close! Through a big Russian Olive just 50 feet south of me was a deer. It had come through the funnel heading north right towards me and then took up the runway heading west. It dropped out of my line of sight but reappeard along the edge of the hardwoods. A nice doe was walking now 65 yards away.
I got on her with my S&W 629 Classic 44 Rem Mag with a Leupold M8 2x scope loaded with Nosler 240 gr JHP bullets. Right at that moment she stopped and looked back right at me. I had the cross hairs on the back end of the lungs and sent it. She spun and made a low hard run back towards where she had come from. I lost sight of her due to the thick brush and hardwoods but I heard her crash.
I had to pour myself another cup of joe since the first cup spilled and sat back for the next 40 minutes in hopes of a nice buck but it didn't happen. Still a good day.
The 240 gr JHP hit the 4th rib from the back went through both lungs and exited right behind the shoulder on the left side with an exit hole the size of a nickel. The lungs had a hole through them the size of a quarter. She only ran about 50 yds after the shot.
IMG_0323.jpg

JD338

Very well done JD. That should make for some tasty vitals this winter.

For the past few days I have been hunting with my new to me 7-30 Waters Contender but no luck so far.

Larry

Congrats Jim :wink:
Sorry to hear about the coffee :lol:

The thought of hunting with a handgun has always intrigued me, what a challenge.

Way to go JD. I always wanted to hunt with a handgun. I might take my DE to Texas next month and try them on pigs.

It sounds like a great morning Jim. Commune with nature, check out the fauna and close the deal on some venison with a perfectly placed shot from the "DIRTY HARRY" special.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing.
Greg
PS:
What load where you using with that Nosler bullet?

Thanks fellas. It is always rewarding for me to hunt deer behind the house with my handgun.
The load I am using is the Nosler 240 gr JHP with 23.5 grs H110 in a W-W case and a CCI 350 primer.

JD338

Nice shooting buddy! Some day I'll get another 44 mag. Have always wanted to take a deer with one.

Congrats!

Congratulations! I've shot a few deer with my handguns over the years. It's always a good challenge! The various magnum revolvers make mighty fine hunting guns.

Guy

Jim,

I'm officially jealous. It would be great to hunt with handgun, which is prohibited in Canada.

DrMike":291q7ptm said:
Jim,

I'm officially jealous. It would be great to hunt with handgun, which is prohibited in Canada.
Mike,

Come on down and hunt with me. We can sit on the deck and sip coffee while we wait for a deer. :grin:

JD338

That certainly makes it too easy--sipping coffee and popping deer. It does look like fun, however.

Mike,

Did you notice that you don't have to go far from the kill to the grill! :lol:

JD338

JD,
Ya know there is something about having coffee in a victory celebration after you shoot a Deer, something my Dad always taught me, gotta enjoy the moment.
Anyway congrats on the success, she looks nice size and fat. Just perfect.

Don

Back