Minox Binos

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Just wanted to give a quick report on the Minox 8x42 binos I got for my son. I ordered a 2x10-40mm to put on my 338WM and I thought, heck, my boy needs some good field glasses. They were 119.00 bucks when bought with the scope. Well, I got the scope and put it on the rifle, and then presented the package to my son. Well, after he got it open, we went outside to compare them to the Zeiss Victory 10x42's RF's I use. Well, he looked through them both and said "Dad, I think mine are better".. Well, I looked through both and saw the same thing. The wife did as well. She has no idea what either cost, and clearly stated the Minox's were better. She asked how much for each... Well, she almost fainted when I told her what the Zeiss's were, but said I got ripped off as the Minox's were clearer and just overall much better visibility. My buddy staying at the house stated the same. Overall, I am very impressed with the Minox bino's, ALOT. I can't see anything else out there, that has the same clarity or build than these without spending a TON more money.

The scope, well, that is great as well. I had a 2.5x8 VX3 on the 338, and now it has the 2x10. Let me say I like Leupold, but this Minox ZA5 is heads and shoulders about my VX3 for clarity and color.. Just a great scope. Can't wait to get it zeroed. Scotty

I must say that I've always enjoyed European glass. They provide a quality product, and the Minox I've viewed are excellent and exceptional value. Good report, Scotty.

I was waiting to hear about your new Minox 2x10-40mm optics. Excellent for both binos and scope. I am going to look at some of those for my next scope adventure. Thanks for the write-up Scotty.

What glass is in the Minox? I have been told but I can not remember. Is it not the same glass as Zeiss :?

Blessings,
Dan

The next real test, Scotty, is to see what happens after long-term viewing over fields. That's when the little bitty differences in clarity and phase become apparent - in the form of eye strain. I'm confident the Minox are worth 3-4x the $119 you paid for them, but they may not truly be better than the Zeiss.

How's the weight on the Minox? I may grab a pair when I order a scope from Doug (where you got your Minox, I'm sure...) later this year.

I'm also curious to see how they fare out in poor light.

Not trying to make the Zeiss better, but usually dim light separates the pack pretty quickly.

tddeangelo":1m7o1xb2 said:
I'm also curious to see how they fare out in poor light.

Not trying to make the Zeiss better, but usually dim light separates the pack pretty quickly.

They were better in low light last evening than the Zeiss's and they are made very solidly. Not taking anything away from the Zeiss, but with everything I have done up until now, I can't say the Zeiss is any better, but again, they are both GREAT.

Minox used Schott glass which is the same as Zeiss with different coatings Dan.

Here are some pics of the binos and 2x10 on my 338. I will get better pictures shortly. Scotty

7C70DD51-orig.jpg

9469EE78-orig.jpg

212D6C16-orig.jpg

Thank you for the report and the photos.
I am really thinking of selling all my Elites (4) and going with either Leupold or Zeiss. Now I am going to have to take a look at Minox :mrgreen:
Reason for getting rid of Elites is warranty issues. As I think I stated a few years ago I had a Scope Chief seized up on me and they advised my that the life time warranty was to old :(
My God son placed a 4200 on his 338 Laupa and he shook the insides loose and they told him it was not covered for that type of recoil. He now placed a NF on his new Laupa.
He actually works up near Mike but lives in Hinton.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":k5e6h5wm said:
Thank you for the report and the photos.
I am really thinking of selling all my Elites (4) and going with either Leupold or Zeiss. Now I am going to have to take a look at Minox :mrgreen:
Reason for getting rid of Elites is warranty issues. As I think I stated a few years ago I had a Scope Chief seized up on me and they advised my that the life time warranty was to old :(
My God son placed a 4200 on his 338 Laupa and he shook the insides loose and they told him it was not covered for that type of recoil. He now placed a NF on his new Laupa.
He actually works up near Mike but lives in Hinton.

Blessings,
Dan

Not good to hear. One of Bushnell's loudest claims has been its ability to withstand heavy recoil.

That's an interesting report on Bushnell. I called them about putting a 3200 on a 300Wby, and the guy told me, "It's guaranteed for life. It will be fine." Hmmm...conflicting information. Not a good thing.

I have the 2-10x40 in my 280 AI. It tracks very well, is pretty dang clear, and worked great for my bear hunt last weekend. I need to move it forward a bit, that thing has a TON of eye relief!

jmad_81":1xfgtk42 said:
I need to move it forward a bit, that thing has a TON of eye relief!

Very good point Jake. The Minox's are king to me so far for eye relief. Very easy to get a nice clear sight picture with them. That is really one of the major reasons I like them the most. Scotty

Scotty, you may want to relay your findings to Robert ("3M" from the "other forum"). I know he's been wanting bino's and can't bring himself to spend much more than a c-note without spasms and internal bleeding...lol.

tddeangelo":xoy350pt said:
Scotty, you may want to relay your findings to Robert ("3M" from the "other forum"). I know he's been wanting bino's and can't bring himself to spend much more than a c-note without spasms and internal bleeding...lol.

Tell that Robert to come over here and read the text!

No problem, I will pass it along to him. Scotty

Scott -
That rifle with the B&C stock and Minox scope looks like one serious hunting rig! I am looking forward to looking at that setup. Good to see the report on the bino's as well. Cameraland does a great job of offering the Minox bino's at a reduced price when you buy a scope. Makes me wish I had bought a pair when I bought the last scope from them.

To me, the thing that seperates decent glass from great glass, is how your eyes feel after glassing a drainage for a couple hours. Distortion and quality of glass really shows up in this application. I have had several friends that put their bino's away after the first day and use their scopes that had better glass. Not only is this impractical...it is unsafe in my book.

Back