Minox ZA5 4-20x50 SF with BDC Reticle

FOTIS":k0iuwfk9 said:
DrMike":k0iuwfk9 said:
Good looking setup, dubyam.

I agree it looks great.

Have you tried any LR shooting with the minox? How does it track?

I just noticed this question, Fotis. I can't speak to long range, but at 100, the dadgum thing tracks perfectly. I'm going to get out and shoot it again soon, I hope, and will provide some insight then as to further impressions. I'm hoping to get time to compare the Minox with my Conquest, as well.

Same here Dub, mine track well. I would buy more, just on the experience I have had with the 6 I have. Even the one that needed service, was quick and back better than ever. I like them a bunch.

Update: Creedmore and I went to his place in Del Rio, Tx this weekend to do some work.
Got to play with the tacking abilities of the ZA5 this weekend on my 308.
Started off with rifle sighted at 200 and turrets "zeroed".
First targets we shot were at 375. Plugged a S.W.A.G. into the Nosler Ballistics ap on my I-phone.
I have not chronied the load I am shooting, so used the data from a buddy's findings who shoots the same rifle/load. 47 grs Varget - 155 Lapua Scenar - MV of 2950.

Chart said I needed 4 MOA to get there.
Dailed it up, added some for the wind and let it fly.
1st shot hit on a 10x10 steel plate.
Hit it a couple of times.

Next was a poor unsuspecting rock about the size of a softball at 490.
Phone said I needed right at 7MOA so I dialed in three more.
1st shot was right on evelavation wise but off to the left due to the wind.
Added more wind, shot one. Still left.
Added more wind, shot two ? Still left
Added some more wind (dang wind was gusting to somewhere around 25 ) shot three went a bit to the right.
Finally disgusted with myself, Creedmore took the rock out with his 280AI.

Returned to the steel at 375, only this time a 6 in square.
Took off the 3 MOA and some of the wind, 3 shots, three hits....
Reset to zero after we got done.

As we had some work to attend to we stopped shooting and got busy.
Later that evening we decided to try our hand again.
Range finder says the next evil rock is at 625 yards.
Ap says 12 MOA so I added it. Looked at our buddy's Kestrel and it shows 2.9-3.5 with gusts to 7.
Knowing we were in a partially sheltered area and had a full value wind at close to 90 degrees I called it at 10 so I added 4.5 MOA windage.
Shot one? Yep . Dead on up and down but 8 inches left.
The wind was a really gusting and we were shooting across a canyon.Ended up shooting 10-15 rounds at various rocks, cactus etc.
Elevation wise very close, wind was the killer.

Well 625 got a bit boring so.......
Next rock face was at 890.Reset scope to zero and consulted phone again.
24 MOA to get there????
No problem. Added the correct dope for elevation, added MORE for the the wind.
Picked out a 4x4 inch area of the rock that was a darker color. Got Creed on the spotter and let one fly.
He just started giggling. Shot hit 2 inches high dead center.
We could see the impacts on the rock very clearly and ended up shooting groups up there just because....

I know, long post. The point of it was/is YES we had fun.

No seriously, It appears that this Minox tracks very well and I am tickled to death with it !

And for those of you that shoot a 280 AI? Holy mackerel, It makes a helluva windbucker with 140 ABs.
But I'll let Creedmore tell that tale.

Howard

AWESOME Howard! Just awesome.. Man, you make it hard to look at other scopes for my 264 Win Mag...

Glad you are happy with it. I have similar results with the tracking as well. Glad to have another like minded Minox lover.

SJB358":2tkol3tk said:
AWESOME Howard! Just awesome.. Man, you make it hard to look at other scopes for my 264 Win Mag...

Glad you are happy with it. I have similar results with the tracking as well. Glad to have another like minded Minox lover.

Yeah I am, and you're a bad influence ! :mrgreen:

HTDUCK":kwxp23d4 said:
SJB358":kwxp23d4 said:

Yeah I am, and you're a bad influence ! :mrgreen:

I have been called way worse, so I'll take it as compliment..

Back