Minox back from Warranty Repair

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
If some remember, my new Minox Z5 4-20x50mm was sent in for repair. The scope would not correctly focus when using a higher magnification above 12-13x at the 100 yards or greater distance. The scope is back, field tested at the range and I am very happy to say, my scope has been correctly repaired. I wrote the following post on another site and wanted to post it here for those wondering about the Minox warranty repair outcome.

Minox Customer Service
I received my Minox 4-20x50mm yesterday. I have a number of comments that might help assist others in their scope decisions.

A poster on another site made the statment "I hope they take care of their scope issues because their CS alone is enough reason to buy Minox."

I cannot agree more. My very first CS communication with Minox was an excellent experience. The CS rep was very professional, not condenscending, was not pushy and did not make me feel like I was being a pain asking for possible warranty assistance. That first experience with CS continued through with Minox always answering their phones (instead of getting a voice message), always answering their email promptly and all the time maintaining a customer assurance that they were going to take care of me. To me that is at least 70% of keeping their customer happy and patient.

Now I mention patient, and I know some will argue with me on this, but I fail to understand why warranty work on a scope takes anything longer than 2-3 weeks, even when you are not the first in the door. One possibility for the delay in "today's world" is the possible lack of staff. Of course if the manufacturer is getting flooded with warranty issues because of product issues, thats not necessarily a manufacturer's excuse but rather a customer red-flag. It took just a day shy of 6 weeks between sending my scope to Minox and receiving it back yesterday. I was though very impressed and not even expecting Minox to send my scope back 2 Day UPS but they did so yet another kudos to the CS department.

Okay, the scope issue, and I know of at least 2 others that have this same issue with the 4-20x50mm scope is the inability to focus clearly for any distances after 100 yards using any magnification after 12-14x. Thanks to forums like these and others, sure enough I found I was not the only one seeing this issue so I decided to send mine in. For me there was no available swap at Minox, which I have no qualms about. I just want my scope back in working condition. I take the scope out to the range tomorrow. I have already remounted the scope on my 7mm rem mag and have acutally scoped 150 yard distances at the house. All appears to be corrected but the test will be at the range.

Bottom line. Minox took care of me! This Minox glass is very very good. I like the fine cross hairs in my BDC reticle. I luv the magnifier changer. If all else is corrected on my scope the only drawback on this particular model that happens to have an easy 4" eye relief is the eyebox. It is a bit of a challenge to acquire the eyebox on this scope. My Vortex Vipers HS model is a snap. This one I have to "hunt" for a full glass for a few seconds. My understanding with the Minox scopes under 10x magnification is that they are a fantastic scopes. I hope this will prove to be that same Minox quality. You will have to make that decision as well.

Range day experience today proved the scope's repair corrected my issue and is now a quality scope from an excellent professional group of people working for Minox.

Thanks all and especially Scotty for personally recommending this scope company as an excellent quality scope and certainly a lot of bang for your buck hunting investment. I am a happy Minox scope owner.

338winmag

That is a great review of their service, Steve. Thanks for posting this information. It will encourage others, no doubt. I do trust that your positive experience will continue when you are able to look through the scope at distance.

Steve. PHEW... Talk about feeling under the gun. While it is a longer wait time than I would prefer, I am happy with all of the other aspects of your operation. I felt pretty sorry that I recommended a scope you weren't happy with and that did bother me as I have 5 Minox's now and as long as the other two, I haven't seen yet, are like the other 3, I till continue buying them. Your experience with their Customer Service reinforces that for me. I love their eye relief, but I can see where others aren't as happy with it. I mount all of my scopes really far forward, being 77" tall, I tend to "stock creep" With them mounted well forward and having that amount of eye relief it would take something large to wack me in the face.

Glad you got it back, now show us some pictures of your rifle/scope combo! Your lacking buddy!

Scotty your words and recommendations are and always will be PLATINUM to me man! I am not just saying that to be nice. :wink: Every single thing you have recommended to me and taught me from my very beginning always turns out right and according to plan. Your years and years and years of experience benefit everyone on this forum and other forums too. Your Minox recommendation proved solid as a rock. I just had to get Minox to tweak their scope a little.

You have 5 Minox scopes!! :grin: Man that is a sure testament! Again Minox CS and their product is super.

I am going out to the range again this morning. I might be getting used to the Minox after last night. The eyebox is a trick but I am getting faster in finding the full view now with some more range time.

I will post scope and target pics today after some range time.
I love my Minox now!!!! :mrgreen:

338winmag
:grin:

Good deal buddy. But most of the fellers on here have really tuned me up the last 6 or so years. Took my loading and rifles to another level. I just happen to load and shoot alot when I can, so I am bound to learn something along the way. I am glad that they fixed it up for you. For the record, I have 2, 3x9's and 3, 2x10's and they are all excellent scopes.

To be honest, I owe Joel (257 Ackley) alot for the Minox. He sent me my first one (3x9 #4 reticle). He said try it, if you don't like it, send it back. If you like it, well, fork over some cash. I used it all Summer and for a Fall elk hunt on my 7WSM. No luck with the rifle, but it worked well. Held up great on the little 7. I just put it on the 35 Whelen and it fits that rifle to a T! Whats even more impressive is the scope will dial very well, as I evidenced shooting the Whelen out 600 yards. I dialed up a whole lotta clicks and commenced to banging steel. I can't ask for more.

Just wait until your eyes start going south on you Scott...that's when you will really appreciate quality optics (I'm not at the braille stage like Mike yet, but getting closer every day :mrgreen:).

Glad to hear Minox CS works. I have 3 of their scopes and haven't had to use them yet, but it is good to know they back up their warranties.

257 Ackley":39grn7dl said:
Just wait until your eyes start going south on you Scott...that's when you will really appreciate quality optics (I'm not at the braille stage like Mike yet, but getting closer every day :mrgreen:).

Glad to hear Minox CS works. I have 3 of their scopes and haven't had to use them yet, but it is good to know they back up their warranties.

Again, thanks for showing me the light. I might still be stuck in the "Leupold Ages" if it weren't for the Minox!!

Man, that'll get a response from someone I imagine! HA!!

The CS is great to see :). I have found in the past good quality products normally have great customer service!
I am glad that Minox stood behind their product and now there should be years of unenterupted use :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Well, I guess I will be next contacting Minox with the same focusing issue. If only I can catch a break and stay in town long enough to call them and ship the scope anyway :roll:

I am glad Minox stepped up to the plate and fixxed your scope 338, I can't wait to send mine in as I really like this scope.

35R

I am not saying anything against Leupold here! Fotis won't stand for it! :mrgreen: He jumps on behind me everytime I post a disparaging word on Leupold. Honestly, I do not feel qualified to rate the new Leuopld scopes which have come out in the past two years as I have no experience with them. I do hope that Leupold survives, continues to make a good product and florishes due to that, because they are American made and I would most prefer to use an American scope, wherever possible. Plus, I have been a Leupold customer for nearly 50 years!

All of my failure issues have been only with the VXIII scope which has not even been made for seven years now. These issues did make me switch to Zeiss, Minox, Kahles and Swarovski scopes though, after three VXIII variable scope mechanical failures in 6 years (failed while hunting) which Leupold fixed but my confidence in them was badly dissipated. At that time, I had (12) VXIII Leupold scopes, now I have one, plus (2) VX II scopes! I will take another chance on Leupold in the future because I want them to succeed.

I only have one 2-10x40 Minox but I have had zero issues with it and it performs great on my Model 70, .30-06 and has for 3 years now. The scope is bright, clear and has long eye relief, all the things that I want in a scope. The Minox is as good as or nearly equal to the Conquest optically and mechanically in my experience.

I have (12) scopes and (9) rifles total which does not make me an anxious customer who needs to buy another scope in the near future. I do have a weakness for optics though and have spent nearly as much on scopes as on rifles over the years. I will upgrade my Vortex Crossfire (rimfire) scope that I have, some time soon, and will probably buy a Leupold VX-2 for it, maybe a 3-9x33 EFR? I am waiting to read more reviews on the VX2 scopes.

Well, the first step has been taken.

Yesterday, I called Minox and briefly spoke with their CS rep. Only thing I can say is that I had the very same experience as 338WM had. The rep was very pleasant to talk to and urged me to send the scope back in for them to take a look. He did mention he has just returned another repaired 4-12x50 scope to its owner that had the same issues. And, he sounded confident their repair department would do a good job taking care of the problem. Therefore, this morning I packed my scope and sent it to them.

Now, I'll seat and wait to see what they say. Hopefully, I'll be happy camper when it gets back.

35R

Steve,

Good to hear that Minox took care of you.
What was the turn around time from when yo sent the scope out to getting it back from Minox?

JD338

JD338
About 1 day short of 6 weeks from the day it left my doorstep till the day it arrived. that was my only real gripe. Often scopes are for hunting. If one goes out a few weeks before hunting to sight-in their rifle and looses their scope for 6 weeks, here in Colorado our hunting is only 6-8 days. :(:(

Back