Minox ZA5 4-20x50 SF with BDC Reticle

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
This is just a preliminary review. Once I mount it on my new rilfe (not yet purchased - 30 days), I will write up an official product review.

Here is the quick skinny.
Because I do not know if it is politically correct on this site to list a Vendor's site, especially where the vendor's site is offering this scope for a seriously discounted price than most all other sites, thus maybe causing other vendors to complain or threaten, I will just state that if you do a very thorough deep search for this scope on the internet, you will find one site that sells the scope for approximately $229.00 less. You can then decide to purchase from that site and wait about 7-9 days while they perform a direct manufacturer to customer shipment or you can find another site that will match this sites scopes price and get it shipped immediately for their in stock product.

I unexpectedly received the "match another site offer" after an innnocent simple question but the site vendor who performed the price match was seriously upset and mad that they had to offer their company's match policy. (I never ever thought of the match offer before the call nor did I ever ask for it at the time of the call.) Anway I have a brand new Minox ZA5 4-20x50 SF with BDC Reticle for $229.00 less than normal cost across the internet. If you want this kind of a deal, you should quickly find the site and call vendors that will match the sites reduced cost. It probably will not last long.

Here are my quick thoughts on the scope in coparison to my Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 SF BDC scopes.
1. First view at a few magnifications, the Minox optics appear to be brighter than the Viper. Even at maximum magnification of 20, it is still super bright and clear.
2. The magnification power selector on the Minox is 1000% better. I am already happy. My opinion is that this is a serious weak feature on the Viper and actually a design flaw on the Viper.
3. The BDC elevation marks on the Minox are pretty close. I am confused\concerned how these reflect yardage. No documentation at all regarding how they work but compared to any other scope manufacturer's BDC elevation marks, these are very tight?
4. The turrents for both scopes are nice. Soon range time will show and tell performance comparison. The Minox is 1\8" increments compared to the Viper's 1\4" increments. 80 MOA for both windage and elevation. The Viper HS is only 50 MOA but I have not had any issues with the Viper's lower MOA.
5. The eye relief on the Viper is nice. Viper is mounted on a 338winmag and no eye relief issues even at 16 power. The eye relief on the Minox is even better. Minox states 4"+ and I might tend to believe that.
6. The scope is almost 19 oz but the Viper is at 22 oz. I travel up and down mountains and honestly, I guess to me, the scope weights are just not a decision factor for me.
7. The Minox comes with a scope coat and an alan wrench (mine was missing) and that is it. According to sales tech, there are not any know compatible sunshades for the 50mm. The Viper somes with an inexpensive see through lens covers but also a 4" sunshade, and lens cloth. The Vipers box packaging and documentation is significantly better.
So far I am happy with this new Minox.

Once I get this mounted, I will do a complete writeup in the product evaluation section.

338winmag

Great report Steve. I think you are the second person to purchase one of the 4-20's and I am looking forward to your review of them on your future rifle. I am pretty happy with Minox offerings in regards to lense quality, adjustments and looks. They make a good product.

I believe you're going to enjoy this Minox. It is a fine scope, Steve.

Minox reticle subtensions can be learned here:

http://www.minox.de/fileadmin/downloads ... _12_10.pdf

Hope that's helpful. If I can ever get the right rings, I'll post a review of the same scope. Mine is an open box demo scope, but I don't think there are any problems. I've already gotten confirmation from Minox on my warranty registration, so I'm good regardless, I assume. I hope I don't have to find out. In the immediate sense, I concur with 338's assessment regarding the optical quality, eye relief, and overall build quality. The magnification ring is almost as smooth as my Bushnell Elites, which are the very best mag rings in the business in terms of tension versus ease of turning. I've never had one move without me doing it on purpose, but I've also never had trouble moving it when I wanted to with just a couple of fingers on it. Many scopes are not that way.

Full review coming, hopefully, soon. I'd like to compare it to my Zeiss Conquest in low light. We'll see when I get that chance.

I'd be curious to hear your assessment. I did the same one with my Minox vx. my Conquest. Would be curious to hear other opinions.

This isn't Optics Talk; go ahead and mention the vendor (and, conveniently do a little enabling!).

Nice review!

I haven't been able to find better pricing on Minox than cameralandny.com, and on Zeiss Conquests than marksscopefinder.com/inventory. Maybe there are others, but so far, none have beaten these two. I've bought from both. Heck, I've been doing business with Mark for 20yrs now.

Well, a quick double-check showed the ZA5 scopes at two other online retailers for as good or better pricing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/MX66031.html?utm ... urce=gbase

Although both are showing the item not in stock. BH shows a 7-14d ship date, and Adorama shows it on backorder with no idea when it would ship.

Just a little info. If anybody needs a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50, with Z-800 reticle, Mark's got one for under $600. Who knows, he might even make a deal on some of those Zeiss he has in stock. Some days Mark just likes to turn revenue through the register, I think...He's really a great guy, seriously, and has some deals that absolutely make your head swim sometimes.

Oh so we can state sites here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: lololol
Thanks for the info Dubyam and ummm.... you found them :):):)

dubyam":36njeto9 said:
Well, a quick double-check showed the ZA5 scopes at two other online retailers for as good or better pricing:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/MX66031.html?utm ... urce=gbase

Although both are showing the item not in stock. BH shows a 7-14d ship date, and Adorama shows it on backorder with no idea when it would ship.

Just a little info. If anybody needs a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50, with Z-800 reticle, Mark's got one for under $600. Who knows, he might even make a deal on some of those Zeiss he has in stock. Some days Mark just likes to turn revenue through the register, I think...He's really a great guy, seriously, and has some deals that absolutely make your head swim sometimes.

Man, I need to watch those places as well. Thinking that 4-20 might be a good one for the 264 and maybe my 7RM as well.. Alot of scope for the money. Can't wait till you all test them out.

Well Guys, I happen to find the USA number for Minox and called them up with a few questions. They currently do not have BDC reticle information for other calibers. Dubyam gave a url for the reticle retention information and for some calibers can be used with some guestimates. Not a super good thing seeing people would buy this BDC scope for calibers other than .30 caliber. I can figure it out though so ....

Looks like Camerland called Minox on the other sites that were listing the scope price significantly lower. According to Minox, you will not get the scopes at the other sites for the lower price. These sites do not have some of the scopes in stock for that price and neither does Minox USA. Also now that Camerland has called Minox and made a formal complaint, I do not think Camerland will honor a pricematch either. I was the first customer for the pricematch and probably the last. I guess I got very fortunate. :mrgreen:

The only difference between the XR-BDC and the BDC are the two extra hash marks on the XR-BDC version (Extra Range). The glass is the same and all other characteristics of the scopes are the same.

It will be about 30 days before I mount and test. See ya then.
338winmag

Steve,

Your good fortune for asking. Good job. It is a good lesson for us to ask when something seems exceptionally good.

Here's a more detailed assessment of the reticle subtensions. It should not matter what chambering you're using as the spacing of the cross-marks will not change depending on the chambering. For instance, set at 16x, the 4-20x50 with the standard BDC reticle has two cross-marks, sitting at 1.9 & 4.3MOA below the primary crosshairs, respectively. So, consider my 130gr E-Tip load moving about 3420fps out of the muzzle on my 270Wby. Sight it in about 2.25" high at 100yds, and (using a 6" target circle) you get a Maximum Point Blank Range of about 330yds. The first cross-mark is 1.9moa, which then equates to about 400yds, and the second mark equates to about 500yds (4.3moa). Of course, I'd go to the range and shoot that out, but the long and the short of it is that I can set this rifle up to be "on" out to something like 500yds with the cross-marks, and everything should work out fine. If I were to put this on my 300Wby, I could shoot my 180gr load at 3210fps and have a PBR of about 300yds, and the cross-marks correspond to about 350yds and 450yds respectively, as long as the simulation shoots out correctly at the range. In my experience, the calculator I use is very close most of the time, and certainly within an inch or two out to 400yds except on rare occasion.

Once I get the scope mounted, I'll post my results from shooting it out. Should be interesting, at least. But the chambering shouldn't affect the scope reticle spacings. It's just math.

It isn't usually too awfully hard to get the marks to line up, for at least 450-500 yards. I imagine Steve will get it worked out pretty quick. BDS are nice references, but to be honest, it is nice to be able to dial in drop. It is just about as fast, and man, you can't beat plastering the crosshairs on center mass and running it.

With the Minox, it allows you to have both. Hard to not like it.

I'm itching to get my new Minox mounted up and stretch its legs.

I didn't compare my Minox 4x20 and Leupold VariX-III 4.5x14x40 in low light conditions but I did in the middle of the day. They were pretty comparable in the center of the glass but the Minox was noticeably hazy at the edge of the glass. The Leupold was crystal clear to the edge of the glass. I love the power range of the Minox (and that is the biggest reason I bought it) but I don't like the 1" tube and rather large 50mm objective. It requires extra high rings. I'm use to 1/4 minute clicks and the 1/8" clicks in the Minox are kind of a pain but tolerable. I really wish they would make it with a 30mm tube and/or a 40-44mm objective and with 1/4 minute clicks. I'd probably buy another and hope the glass was clearer if they would. They are a decent scope for the price IMO.

Well, guess who bought one at the very attractive "Discounted Price" :roll: Two weeks ago B&H photo had them is stock. I'd submited my price match request to one of my favorite online retailer (Not CameraLand) and they aproved it. I was going to wait to buy it but after reading all this commotion I just had to do it. It arrives next Monday :lol:
B&H ran out of them sometime last week. And, the discounted price was still up until Wed. Yesterday, they increase to the regular price of $ 729.00.

Not a bad upgrade for a total of $ 472.52 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am planning in replacing a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 with this new Minox. My eyes never got used to the Monarch.

PS Anybody want/needs to buy a Nikon Monarch :wink:

I picked up my ZA-5 yesterday and now I remember why I have got rid of my 3200 & 4200s. There is no comparison in brightness :)
Now waiting for my VX-6 which is supposed to be here next week :mrgreen:
Then no more Bushnells in my vault OH I guess my wife won't be reading this vaults :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Back