Minox ZA5 4-20x50 SF with BDC Reticle

I hope 35R's scope is getting the royal treatment at Minox. As I promised Scotty I'd post up some pics of Mr. Hyde wearing his new spectacles once I got all the parts and time to assemble them, here you go:

IMGP7270.jpg

And a closer pic of the receiver and optics:

IMGP7263.jpg

I think the setup looks mean as the devil, personally. All that smooth matte black and then the shiny bolt body is downright menacing. I can just hear Dr. Jekyll screaming, "HYDE!!!!" (Dr. Jekyll is my Win94 30-30. The two rifles are my split personality in terms of how I like to hunt.) So far, the scope looks superb. I'm hoping to get some time later this week to sight Hyde in. I'll also try to make a comparison of the Minox and the Conquest on my 300'bee:

IMGP7271.jpg

and post my impressions. Off the cuff in daylight there's almost no difference in brightness or clarity, but the real test will be lower light conditions. Maybe later this week or next week I'll get a chance to really compare them. I'm certainly pleased with how it's turning out so far.

Dub, can I ask a favor? Could you take a pic of the back of the action, showing safety lever clearance? Thanks!

Which one, BK? The Minox is in high rings and has more clearance than the Zeiss in medium rings, though neither is tight. And I have fat thumbs.

I have a 50mm Kahles scope on medium TPS tactical rings on my Mark V. I get better cheek weld than with high rings.

I tried the Minox in the medium rings I had prior to getting these high rings. It wouldn't fit, unfortunately, but the good news is that I find my head position very comfortable with this new setup. I am going to try a slip on recoil pad to see if a little more length of pull makes it even better. I believe it will.

Dubyam, wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about the tactical bases and TPS medium rings being a .087 (.375-.288) lower height to the scope tube then the high Leupold rings. This made quite a bit of difference in my cheek weld. Plus, with the medium rings, I still have 4 mm (.160") clearance between the scope bell and the barrel on my .340 with a #3 taper barrel. Your Mark V should be the same dimensions. I also would think that a Kahles and a Minox 50mm scope bell is about the same diameter.

Do what you want, however the TPS rings with tempered screws are a stronger system than the Leupold with windage screws. I had the high Leupold rings on this rifle and did not think that the cheek weld was tight enough or that the windage screws would stay tight.

@Charlie - I surely appreciate your concerns, and I'll bear that in mind as I evaluate this setup during sight in and shooting in preparation for the fall. I tried prone, kneeling, and on my shooting sticks today and felt good in all positions, save a little "close" to the scope prone - but that's due to the long eye relief on this Minox.

@BK - I've uploaded several pictures that may be helpful in answering your question. Shoot me a PM and I'll email you whatever else you need if this doesn't do the trick. Clearance is not an issue, for certain, on either of my Mark Vs.

First, a rear view, looking forward at the scope and safety lever:

IMGP7280.jpg

And a side view of the same rifle:

IMGP7265.jpg

And with a 300Wby round for scale:

IMGP7297.jpg

And for comparison, my 300Wby in a couple of similar poses:

IMGP7285.jpg

IMGP7295.jpg

Notice that the Conquest has plenty of clearance, but sits about .25" lower in the ocular bell than the Minox. Some of that is rings, some is bell diameter - the Zeiss is noticeably larger.

Just a quick side note, guys. Notice in the third picture in my post immediately preceeding this one, how the top and bottom ring half are misaligned? Well, let's just say it's a lot of fun to fix a broken ring screw at midnight! I noticed it when I posted the picture, and went to check it, and I'm glad I did. Lucky for me I keep extra ring screws around just for such an issue.

dubyam":1wqrcm22 said:

This is the one I was curious about, but you have covered it pretty well. As one of the "good ol' boys" I work with would say, it must be an obstacle delusion (optical illusion).

Looks very sharp Dub. Seems like it fits that rifle very nicely. Looking forward to hearing about what it does on the range.

dubyam":2qc30iha said:
Just a quick side note, guys. Notice in the third picture in my post immediately preceeding this one, how the top and bottom ring half are misaligned? Well, let's just say it's a lot of fun to fix a broken ring screw at midnight! I noticed it when I posted the picture, and went to check it, and I'm glad I did. Lucky for me I keep extra ring screws around just for such an issue.

These small 6-48 and 8-40 screws are not hardened. They are headed and threaded on a Swiss Automatic machine at 1500/minute and are soft steel. They do break and that is why they specify 25 inch pounds when tightening them. I keep a whole box of Leupold screws in different diameters and shank lengths on hand.

However, now that I am using the TPS rings, I bought an extra package of (5) hardened tool steel ring screws (8-40) and have not used one in two years.

dubyam":3gh7hc4m said:
I hope 35R's scope is getting the royal treatment at Minox.

I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, I've been so busy planning a little family vacation that I haven't had any time to deal with the scope or contacted Minox :cry:

Nice looking Vanguards BTW.

Dub, let us know with more photos and a range report on what you think of the ZA 5. I will be mounting the Minox tomorrow on my son's BDL.

Blessings,
Dan

Hoping to get to the range tomorrow or Wednesday morning. We'll see. Busy, busy, busy at work. I need a job where I get paid a bunch of money to handload and shoot and hunt. Oh, and all the costs are "expensed" for that job, too.

And as long as I'm dreaming, I've always wanted a pony...

DrMike":19yuz5kh said:
Good looking setup, dubyam.

I agree it looks great.

Have you tried any LR shooting with the minox? How does it track?

FOTIS":247n9fdv said:
DrMike":247n9fdv said:
Good looking setup, dubyam.

I agree it looks great.

Have you tried any LR shooting with the minox? How does it track?

Not long range but I jumped on the bandwagon too.
Got one of the open box units from CLNY, for the money (and some pms w Scotty ) I figured why not?
Shot a box test with mine today on my 308 VSSF.
I tracks perfectly at 100 yards .
Good thing, as I ordered a 2nd one last Tuesday that's going on my 22-250 to replace the Vortex Crossfire.
Long and generous eye relief and the eye relief does change as magnification goes up.
However at a mere 12 power I was able to shoot a 3 round 1 inch group at 200 today.
Anything beyond that today and the mirage was horrible.
80 degrees and 20 mph winds here today.

Creedmore was with me today and he was impressed with the clarity and the tracking too.

Bang for the buck? It's a winner !

Howard

That's great to hear Howard. Glad you like it. Might be a decent scope for my 264 as well.

SJB358":uphk36kt said:
That's great to hear Howard. Glad you like it. Might be a decent scope for my 264 as well.

I do like it. :mrgreen:

The 4x20 would be a perfect match for your 264. Especially in open country.

And FTR I replaced the base on my 308 VSSF with a Talley 20 MOA pic rail.
I was able to get the scope mounted using LOW Burris Tactical rings with plenty of clearance.

I originally bought a 3x15x42 with a #4 reticle and have it sitting on the shelf in the safe.
Not sure where it's going to find a home, perhaps my Tikka 223?

Thanks for the heads up !

Back