MOA vs MRAD

Osprey78

Handloader
Feb 27, 2014
The Vortex thread got me thinking again.

What do most use for their target rifles? MOA's or MRAD's? Is there a benefit to either or is it just personal preference?

I get the FFP vs SFP thing, just have yet to decide on what I would want in a range finding optic.

They both accomplish the same thing...just 2 different ways of doing it.

The math is probably easier with mil/mil, if you use the metric system...after you get used to it...I never have used it much, but I do understand the concept (metric system)

MOA is more precise...1/4 moa @ 100 yards is ~.250".

.1 mil at 100 yards is ~.36"

.1 mil at 100 meters is 1cm

I've used both Milrad and MOA, and find myself preferring those with MOA based reticles and turrets. That preference though is very minor, and is based simply on me having grown up thinking in terms of inches and yards, as well as the commonality of most of my scopes using 1/4" adjustments on the turrets. The truth is, as long as the turrets and reticle match one another, I really don't think it matters much as long as you fully understand your scope. That said, if I were to start over from scratch, I'd probably opt for milrad over MOA. If buying, the factors I'd probably consider include:
1 -- the math associated with Milrad is a little more straightforward. Not a big deal, but if you are going to use the reticle for ranging, I believe the Milrad is simpler.
2 -- Not all MOA are the same. Is the MOA advertised for the scope a true "minute-of-angle", or is it the "inch-per-hundred-yards" MOA (and do the reticle and turrets use the same MOA standard?) Scope manufacturers will label both standards as "MOA", but in reality there is about a 5% difference between the two. It's generally not a problem for hunting scopes, but in target scopes and long range shooting, that 5% can make a big difference if you don't know which you have (and it's not clear with some manufacturers which of the two they truly offer...) There is no such confusion with Milrad.
3 -- if used for long range shooting AND you shoot with an established partner or spotter that already has gear, it can be a nice convenience to match your scope (Mil or MOA) with that of the partner. (When he/she spots your shots, the correction will generally be called out in Mil or MOA. It's nice if your scope matches the system in which the call-outs are made, as there is less room for error when you go to make adjustments for your point of impact.)

Back