Model 70 Deluxe Wood

All of the new 70’s are made in Portugal but danged if they don’t make them really well. I’ve had a couple of the SC made rifles and kick myself for letting my little 300 WSM go but it shot real well and functioned as well as any of my P64’s. My only beef was with the triggers but since Timney is making a trigger for them now it’s much less of a concern. I cannot wait to see how it handles the ABLR. I’d give that Bore a good scrubbing and Dyna Bore Coat it from the get go and I’d bet you’ll like the outcome.

It would be excellent to see it laying over a sheep, that would make any serious loony smile.

Earle, congratulations on a fine looking rifle (y). I know that DrMike has a real sweet tooth for Model 70s and will be giving you 2 thumbs up on that beauty :mrgreen:.
Thanks for posting.

Blessings,
Dan

Earle that is a beautiful rifle and a great cartridge it is chambered for. Now I am not a Doctor like Dr. Mike, but I am giving you a prescription for your .270 Winchester which I think you should call Eleanor after Jack O Conner's wife. She was a classy lady just like that new rifle of yours.

Prescription:
1- beautiful O Conner tribute rifle in .270 Winchester named Eleanor.
2- Nosler 130 gr. Partition bullets
3- Hodgdon H4831SC powder 58-62 grs.
4. Winchester brass
5. Federal 215 Magnum match primers
6. Take Eleanor to Alaska to chase a beautiful Dall sheep
7. Memories to last a lifetime.

David - 6mm Remington

David,
IMG_1643.JPG
I like the heck out of that prescription!!! Since I already have the 4831SC, and 3 boxes of 130 gr Nosler PT bullets, and the 270 rifle. And since my favorite aunt was also named " Eleanor" I see no good reason not to
Name it so! Consider it Done!!
I had a text from my good buddy, Doug Turnbull this morning,asking if after he gets his custom Super Cub on Monster tires ,Up to Anchorage next summer. If I would consider meeting him there, and tour around the state in his plane, and show him some of my favorite old spots! How's that for an invite???
I told him August in the Brooks Range would be the best time!! He loves to hunt as well so it seams like "Eleanor" may just get a chance to show her hand on an Endicott ram ???
Last but not least David, that last bit about "memory's that last a lifetime";That's the sweetest part
Of the prescription! (y) Sorta like when I was a kid;and sick ,my Mom used to take a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and mix with 1/2 teaspoon of paregoric with it.........IMG_1688.JPG wasn't long and my cold was just a memory!! Lol
If your tooo young to remember this, don't worry about it! :p

My first 30 lb Lake Trout from 1981, with Eleanor resting below! The cast antler from a local whitetail
Has a 15" G2 tine and 6" base.IMG_1813.JPG

I would never take it hunting, I am hard on rifles, and it would never look the same after a week with me.

Elk man,
I hear you, and no doubt I will knick it up for sure, but heck what's the difference if you leave behind cash or
Beat up rifles ???? My Dad never left me ANYTHING ( or any of my sisters either) he left everything to Mom!
I have a 20 year old son that can do anything he wants to with it when I am gone, heck a beat up
Model 70 is slot better than nothing! :lol:

That rifle just begs to be hunted and it would be a shame not to! Now I did forget part of the prescription and forgot all about a scope for it. Man a 6x36mm or 6x42mm Leupold fixed power with the LR dots set for your load would be just about perfect. I would not think a 3.5-10x40mm or 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle would be terrible either. Well crap might as well put one more down there. The Zeiss Conquest 2-10x42mm or 3-15x42mm with the Z600 reticle would also be equally as nice. I'm just trying to help you spend your money!

David

Earle, sounds like a great trip and yes you should go and yes you should take that rifle!

Earle, the Schmidt and Bender Summit, was made for that rifle and goat hunting. It is a very sweet little scope with a 1"inch tube, very light, 2.5-10x40 It would not just work on that rifle, it would look good on that rifle.

Bill, you would probably have a heart attack watching Cheyenne use her 71 for everything but a rifle She asked me once, how do these guys keep their rifles looking so good and I told her they dont use them as paddles, clubs, walking sticks, etc lol. But I do understand your point. It would be painful seeing Earl';s rifle get scratched and dinged.

Lastly, Bill, Earle, and David will appreciate this I think. My husband was like Cheyenne. When he bought a rifle, he used it and someone once asked him why he took such a nice rifle into the bush, and he said. I dont have a"trophy" rifle or a "trophy" wife for that matter, everything I own, I use. Then he hesitated and turned to me and said "that didn't come out right did it honey" and we both laughed.

Lol, very good April, tell your husband " great save"
David the Zeiss Conquest w /Z600 is sounding like a great
Choice, unless April is planing on overniting me that S&B she recommends for
My "Christmas present" this year! :lol:
I installed the engraved rings today, trued them and laped them so I have
About 90% contacting the 1" bar, so we are ready to go!
I still need to tune the trigger to 2 1/2 lbs and remove ALL creep.
My other M70 shoots about 1 1/4" groups, so I will be shocked if this
one will shoot as good as my Tikkas, but we will see??? This fancy wood is
NOT light, so dense we are up to 8lbs with the mounts on it already! So scoped
Up we are going to be pushing 9lbs....... price you pay for exhibition wood I guess! :mrgreen:

Jack O'Connor sent his #1 Winchester Model 70 .270 rifle back to Al Beisen for a spruce up after it got beat up by a bearer on African Safari. He then put it away for 40" rams and 8 ft bears. He then had Beisen build him up another rifle that was very close in specs to the #1 but he used the then new Model 70 Featherweight in .270 win. Jack said it was the most remarkable rifle he had ever owned. E. do you have an Al Beisen in the neighborhood to spruce that rifle up if it gets beat up?

Lol, yes we are very fortunate to have a good stock maker locally, he works cheap!
He is pretty good but not quite up to " Al Beisens" quality, probably more inline with
Say Roy Vail stuff.......
Maybe I should just buy another one of these and have two that way I can do the same
As O'Conner did.
Hey wait a sec, I already have my old faithful Model 70 ATR ( first year production) SS and it already has a Zeiss Conquest on it with heavy German cross wires & Tally QD mounts , it's in that funny caliber though 30 Whelen!!! :wink:
Gotta get some of those 190gr ABLR and see if it will shoot em ?? (y)
Or if I need a spare rifle, and only want to carry one that is the "same caliber" I have my Tikka T3 also in .270 Win, that also has a Conquest with the Z600 perched ontop of it! Thats right at 7 lbs all up weight!20171213_072057.jpg
Bruce,
Here is Jack O'Conner's very first Dahl Ram, his favorite guide " Field Johnson " cousin to Moose Johnson,
Field was severely mauled by a grizzly a few years later.20171217_060904.jpg
Who can identify the rifle used in this picture???

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 287
It appears to be Jack's custom 98 mauser .270 that was put together by Alvin Linden.

Hummm, butternut bolt handle and a magazine tube sticking out one cartridge length in front of the forearm??? That would be one heck of a modified 98! Lol

April even though 2 of my rifles wear the ugly synthetic stocks you so detest I will say that when I hunted Montana this season two of the situations I got into if the rifle I was carrying at the time had AAA Carlo Walnut or plastic wouldn't have mattered one bit since I needed that rifle at that time to be more than a rifle. I had the ground give way on a steep incline and found myself sliding backwards down the mountain on my face and had to use the rifle to stop my slide which I never hesitated doing since it was getting ugly very quickly and had I not dug the rifle into the ground to stop the slide I don't know what would have happened, on another occasion not as sever I was a couple miles back and found do to the constant climb to get back to the truck I need to use the rifle for a walking stick till I ran across a stick I could use and again it wouldn't have mattered because that is what I needed it for at the particular time. Times like that is when a long barrel comes in handy. :)>)

Roger,
Your going to need another trip out into the Mountains of Montana, and show those hills who really is the Boss!
As for a longer barrel. You dead right! I am sure you have seen those signs in mens restrooms out west about
"Cowboys with short barrels" please stand closer to the target????? :lol:
Lol
E
Ps Plus if you break your leg you can use it for a crutch!

What you see as an extended magazine is just a blurred ebony forend. There are pictures of the rifle in one of Jack's books. Butter knife bolt handle and all.

Back