Model 70 - Stiff Bolt

M7025-06

Beginner
Jun 28, 2014
I've got a Model 70 Classic with a fairly hard bolt lift. It doesn't matter if the chamber is loaded or not.

I've tried adding a dab of Breakfree where the cocking (?) mechanism is at the back of bolt. I even swapped bolts with my other Model 70 and it feels the same.

Could this be in the trigger mechanism somewhere or am I worrying about nothing?

What do the back side of the locking lugs look like?

Pictures if you can...

And have you ever cleaned the lug recess? Thats the "slot" the bolt lugs rotate into to lock the bolt into the barrel.

Don't fire it with the bolt from another rifle...there could be headspace issues.

Also...with the safety in the middle position, the lift is nice and easy with no resistance.

Right Lug:

2015-01-09190445_zpsa7b1d19e.jpg

Left Lug:

2015-01-09190512_zps434522de.jpg

Smartphone pictures aren't the best.

Whenever I clean my rifles, I always try to clean out that area the best I can. It's kind of a pain to get anything in there, but I try.

M7025-06":37748fzb said:
Also...with the safety in the middle position, the lift is nice and easy with no resistance. Thats normal...how its supposed to be....also indicates its not a lug problem, as do the pictures...I think you do not have a problem, you're just feeling the normal resistance of compressing the spring as the bolt rotates, it does vary some depending on spring strength

Right Lug:

2015-01-09190445_zpsa7b1d19e.jpg

Left Lug:

2015-01-09190512_zps434522de.jpg

Smartphone pictures aren't the best.

Whenever I clean my rifles, I always try to clean out that area the best I can. It's kind of a pain to get anything in there, but I try.

My answer in red...

Lugs do not have great or normal bearing surfaces wear. All of the bearing rub is on mostly one end or not centered, as though the lug machining is not normal to the action lug races (TIR). Is the action runout normal to the barrel?

Just my $.02.

Oldtrader3":ra4twkhw said:
Lugs do not have great or normal bearing surfaces wear. All of the bearing rub is on mostly one end or not centered, as though the lug machining is not normal to the action lug races (TIR). Is the action runout normal to the barrel?

Just my $.02.

What exactly is that?

Sounds pretty normal. It is hard to gauge how much your getting with words, but it sounds pretty normal..

SJB358":1ozgt44r said:
Sounds pretty normal. It is hard to gauge how much your getting with words, but it sounds pretty normal..

No...I understand. It just seems a little excessive too me. I might give the bolt and chamber a good cleaning this afternoon and give everything a light coat of oil to see if that changes anything (I'm guessing it won't).

I ran a little experiment with my homemade trigger weight scale with all 3 bolt actions. This is what it takes to lift the bolt after firing:

280 (Model 70 Classic / claw extractor): 7 lbs (+/-)
25-06 (Model 70 Classsic / claw extractor): 6 lbs (+/-)
243 (Model 70 XRT / push feed): 6.25 lbs (+/-)

Anyway...I'll give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

To respond to your comment: it appears that your locking lugs are not parallel to your action races where they contact. There is a lot of drag marks on the leade of the bolt lugs. It should be equal wear on the entire surface.

Oldtrader3":3b7adzjt said:
To respond to your comment: it appears that your locking lugs are not parallel to your action races where they contact. There is a lot of drag marks on the leade of the bolt lugs. It should be equal wear on the entire surface.

Is it something that needs to be fixed and if so, what's the process to fix it?

Doesn't sound as though you can fix, no insult, just practical. A gunsmith who is a machinist and/or toolmaker. Someone who knows how to blueprint an action and bolt.

Oldtrader3":1au70pg3 said:
Doesn't sound as though you can fix, no insult, just practical. A gunsmith who is a machinist and/or toolmaker. Someone who knows how to blueprint an action and bolt.

No insult taken.

The reason I ask is I had a new barrel installed on this particular rifle last spring so I'm wondering if this is something my gunsmith should've caught, or it's just one of those things I would have to specifically ask to be done?

No smith will blueprint the action without authorisation to do so. Few factory rifles have lugs that are perfectly aligned to the races. For most hunting rifles, this is not a problem. The few rifles that I've felt were growing somewhat stiff were cleaned, the bolts even dressed lightly and the lugs lightly greased.

DrMike":31rkl9s3 said:
No smith will blueprint the action without authorisation to do so. Few factory rifles have lugs that are perfectly aligned to the races. For most hunting rifles, this is not a problem. The few rifles that I've felt were growing somewhat stiff were cleaned, the bolts even dressed lightly and the lugs lightly greased.

OK.

It's not causing an accuracy problem so I won't worry about it.

Thanks for all of the input on this.

Since it shoots well, I'd be hard pressed to mess with the rifle Gods and alter anything!

Back