Moly buildup.....is it for real and is it a cleaning issue??

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
I just got a bunch of moly coated combined technology bullets on the midway sale. I've never bought into the hype that shooting a few moly bullets here and there (even mixed in with regular jacketed) bullets was going to make "layers" or be a cleaning issue. But this morning I thought why don't I clean the moly off these so I soaked them in pure household ammonia for a while. I was pretty surprised that it didn't come off. Now I'm not so sure there isn't a cleaning issue here (maybe).

I figured there are lots of high volume shooters here that could give me the answer. I know moly has fallen out of sorts with most shooters. I also know that opinions vary alot on Moly.
Can you guys let me know what you think about cleaning issues?? Also prefered cleaners. I see wipeout says it will clean moly so I soaked a bullet in wipeout and it doesn't seem to be touching that moly coating either just like the ammonia.

If you're talking about those black coated bullets that C/T sells, they're the same bullets that Win uses for their Supreme Ballistic Silvertip ammo and the coating isn't Moly, it's a proprietary coating called Lubalox.

I don't know what exactly it is, but I know it's not Moly. I used the Win Supremes for years before I started handloading and I never had a problem with buildup from whatever the black coating is.

I've shot moly bullets for years. I have yet to experience a problem with moly in any of my barrels. I clean my barrels normally.

If you are really concerned about the moly on your bullets, just tumble it off in corncob or walnut media.

Back