Moose Attack on training dogsled team

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Moose attacked on the trail. Musher had an unspecified smaller caliber, emptied it and did not stop the moose. Several dogs were killed and several more injured. She had a bar on her cell phone and an hour later help arrived with a more appropriate caliber.

Thanks for bringing this report to our attention. Moose are not the placid, gentle animals people often imagine. They can be quite aggressive. In any given winter, we have multiple moose wintering in town. Most have calves and winter here in part to escape wolves. Townspeople are generally good about giving them plenty of room and leaving them alone. They often come into our yard to eat on the ornamental chokecherry trees. It does allow me to avoid trimming these trees.

I feel bad for the dogs. :(
So do I

I was asked to respond to this story

My first response is to agree with Guy and I do

My other reactions to the story are not so kind.

A 308 IS a high powered rifle and more than enough gun for a moose in the hands of someone that knows how to use it
Moose charges are not uncommon, especially when dogs are involved and you should be prepared for it if you plan on doing anything in moose country
She emptied her rifle--I have never left home with a rifle AND a box of shells
She emptied her rifle and the moose was still standing ? She needs to spend more time at the range before going back out
Mushers dont carry rifles because they could accidentally discharge ? --- O.K., but the magazine can be full
She wasn't planning on hunting in Feb was one excuse---I have never gone to the woods, river, or ice without being prepared whether I plan on hunting, fishing, mushing, etc---and regardless of the month

I feel bad for the dogs, because they were hurt and because nobody was willing to protect them with a "we might see a moose, grizzly, polar plan, before they left home.

Yes, I do know her and I do not dislike her, but it pisses me off when dogs are hunt like this and this definitely fit into the life and property protection law.

Hey, good to see your post, Cheyenne. Long time since we heard from you.

Actually, Cheyenne, the report was that she was carrying a 380 handgun--pretty anemic for a moose.

Ya, good to hear from you Thankful Otter.

But it was a little 380 pistol, not a 308 rifle. Huge difference. The 380 pistol cartridge is pretty puny.

Guy

Again. I know her and I do like her---so I have no ax to grind with her but if she went out with only a small caliber pistol then she is just stupid.

Moose have a history of attacking dogs, there are moose in her area and she leaves the house with a small caliber handgun ?

Repeating my prior post,------- but the excuse that a rifle might discharge when bouncing around in a sled is lame.

I dont have a round in the tube when in the canoe, sled, plane, snowshoes, but the magazine is full and the rifle is with me . Her BS comment about not going hunting in Feb was also lame. Of course she wasn't going hunting but she was going into an area where the moose live and they hate dogs.

I love dogs, and it was a shame they were not protected !

So do I

I was asked to respond to this story

My first response is to agree with Guy and I do

My other reactions to the story are not so kind.

A 308 IS a high powered rifle and more than enough gun for a moose in the hands of someone that knows how to use it
Moose charges are not uncommon, especially when dogs are involved and you should be prepared for it if you plan on doing anything in moose country
She emptied her rifle--I have never left home with a rifle AND a box of shells
She emptied her rifle and the moose was still standing ? She needs to spend more time at the range before going back out
Mushers dont carry rifles because they could accidentally discharge ? --- O.K., but the magazine can be full
She wasn't planning on hunting in Feb was one excuse---I have never gone to the woods, river, or ice without being prepared whether I plan on hunting, fishing, mushing, etc---and regardless of the month

I feel bad for the dogs, because they were hurt and because nobody was willing to protect them with a "we might see a moose, grizzly, polar plan, before they left home.

Yes, I do know her and I do not dislike her, but it pisses me off when dogs are hunt like this and this definitely fit into the life and property protection law.
Just clarifying, a 380 auto colt pistol is basically a 9mm short, many 380autos are often sporting less and 100gn bullets.
I would not carry a 380 auto for personal defense as heavy leather jackets and sweaters have stopped them. Typically the only have 5-7 rounds in them and a barrel that’s 1.75-3”. Pretty easy to miss if you are panicking…

Agree with all, feel bad for the dogs that couldn’t get away from the moose…

I do agree with Cheyenne concerning the possible discharge of a rifle. One doesn't need to have the rifle cocked and locked to have it handy.

FWIW, I, too, regret the injuries to the dogs. One could wish the dogs had been given opportunity to run.

Cheyenne,

If she continues to carry a handgun instead of the more suitable rifle please encourage her to carry something more appropriate.

Great to see you posting.

Vince

The dogs ARE her responsibility !!!!! Everyone is determined to make sure I undsetand that she took a pistol, not a rifle. Got it ! I ( got it ) after Dr Mike brought it to my attention in his post, following mine.

She is 100% responsible ! She knew she lived and would be working the dogs in Moose country. She knew that moose hate dogs and do attack them, she knew ( or should have ) that a rifle is not going to accidentally discharge if it is not loaded, she knew ( or should have ) that that pistol was worthless --which is an entirely different story--why did she even take it ????? And why not take a box of shells ? I knew as early as 7 or 8 that whenever you leave the house danger is possible--moose and bears . She knew the dogs would not be able to scatter so it was even more important to protect them with a big bore rifle. and box of shells. I am not joking when I say I would have been between that moose and my dogs with a 348 and a pocket of shells and I would have shot until he was down, or I was.

The dogs were hurt because of her ! This is 100% on her. I will say no more as I am sure some else will point out that she only had a revolver

I'm glad she wasn't killed, and sorry for the dogs, hopefully none of them were killed either. This had better be a major wake up call about how to properly prepare herself.

Cheyenne,
It's good to hear from you. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts.
Since you know her, maybe you could discuss the merits of the 348 Win. I would think a M71 would make an excellent sled gun. :)

JD338

Cheyenne,
It's good to hear from you. I couldn't agree more with your thoughts.
Since you know her, maybe you could discuss the merits of the 348 Win. I would think a M71 would make an excellent sled gun. :)

JD338
I agree but I suggested a 358, somewhat same ballistics with less bite. Also suggested the 356 if no 358's make themselves available to her. IMHO the 45/70 is too much gun for her and the 30/30 not enough--for the purpose intended. Everybody's adrenaline is high, including the moose or bear that is headed toward you/dogs. But the 348 would work, and has ;)

As you know, Cheyenne, I'm a fan of both the .358 Win and the .356 Win, having multiple iterations of each of these. I can verify that each works on moose (elk, mule deer, black bear, grizzlies).

Cheyenne, I’m definitely a fan of yours! Your experience in the wilderness is incredibly valuable and reassuring or corrective for those of us down south that only occasionally visit the wilds!

You’re also stroking my urge to buy yet another gun (358 win maybe a BLR or Sav 99) these last couple years, I have been grabbing my 45/70 Govt when I go hunting…just like big holes in things I shoot! Seems like the 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen are pretty ideal cartridges for solving problems and taking game..

Back