More range time with the Whelen.

whelen35

Beginner
Jun 28, 2012
I took the Whelen out the last few days still working with my load of 60.5 grains of Rl-15 at 2880 with the new 200 grain AccuBond. A few days ago I tried the load at 300 yards and shot minute of angle.
shootingpicsss.jpg

Then tonight I went and tried a three shot group from 400 yards. The group went 2.1 inches. One note with a 15 mph crosswind the bullet was blown about 6 inches from center.
shootingpicss.jpg

I'm just loving the Whelen more and more can't wait to try it at 500 and 600 yards.

That is some GREAT shooting! EXCELLENT!

Now, who are all these people who think the Whelen is only good for "timber ranges" HA!!!

David, where are you at? What do you think? You ready to step up to the plate!

Great shooting Whelen! That is really some great shooting!

It looks like you are dialed in, 2.1" at 400 yards is very good. Great shooting.

Good job, who said that the 35 Whelen can not reach out and touch something :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen35,
Couple of questions. How are you sighted in at 100 yards POI or are you just using hold over at 400 yds. Shooting 400 yards are you shooting from bench using bags, Lead Sled, laying prone etc.

Thanks,
Don

Thanks for all the positive words of encouragement about the Whelen. I've been shooting off of my tailgate using sandbags for shooting out to 400 yards, when I shoot at 500 and 600 I will use my Snipe Pod and a bag for my elbow. I am not using hold over my rifle has leupold cds system. It is set up to be dead on at 200 yards which is about 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. With the cds system I can almost get my Whelen to 700 yards.

DON":by61rybv said:
Whelen35,
Couple of questions. How are you sighted in at 100 yards POI or are you just using hold over at 400 yds. Shooting 400 yards are you shooting from bench using bags, Lead Sled, laying prone etc.

Thanks,
Don

Don, I zero my Whelen 3" high at 100 yards, and didn't have any issues getting to 600 yards with the 225 AB. Matter of fact, I shot one of my better groups at 600 with the Whelen!

Thanks you guys. Guess I'll have to try my Whelen out too at long range. I checked the Whelen energy against my 06 using 165 & 180 bullets vs the 225 bullets. Quite as difference at 300 & 400 yards.

Don

whelen35,

Nice shooting there. You have yourself one heck of a good set up.

JD338

Back