Mount Issues

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I had Leupold standard mounts and rings on my 338 & 375 RUMs. Sunday, I went out to do some load developement with both. The 338RUM was not doing to well. I then noticed my scope had moved forward, after giving it a good look over, I then noticed the rear ring had slid on the mount. When I got it home, I took the scope off to reset it and noticed the cut-outs on the rear ring were tore-up (lack of a better term) and the front mount was loose. At this point I was trying to decide betweem a set of Talley SS mounts and the 30mm screw-lock rings or a Leupold dual-dove tail setup. Midway had the Talley SS 30mm rings on sale, so it put in my order for that system. Yesterday, I decided to check the 375RUM mounts and locktite the screws. The rear ring-to-mount cut-outs were tore-up like the 338RUM. At this point, I decide to put a set-up on the 375RUM as well. Unfortunately, the Talley SS ring on Midway weren't on sale ($122 for rings -- ouch) so I ordered a set of Leupold dual dove tail silver mounts and fortunately, Leupold makes low, 1" dual dove tail rings in gun metal grey that will match my scope.

With all of the above being stated, has anyone else had problems with the (non brand specific) standard ring/mount system on their HEAVY RECOILING rifles? I did email POP and JD338 for their opinion prior to ordering the Talleys Sunday. I will try to get some close-up pics of the rear rings from both rifles and get them posted tonight (I'm at work now)

Need to add in that the scope on the 375RUM had moved, YET. Just trying to be proactive in regards to the potential of the mounts loosening up or the rings moving in the mounts.

I think the Talley system and the dual dove tail system will prevent, at least, the rings from moving on the mounts.

Rich,

I have Leupold rings and bases on my 338 RUM and they are rock solid. They have never moved. The first scope was a 2.5x8 and the current scope is a Mark 4 4.5x14 30mm tube.

JD338

Proper ring alignment, torque and a lap would definately be a benefit for your heavy recoiling rifles.

JD338":85ukqs57 said:
Rich,

I have Leupold rings and bases on my 338 RUM and they are rock solid. They have never moved. The first scope was a 2.5x8 and the current scope is a Mark 4 4.5x14 30mm tube.

JD338

Jim, standard or dual dove tail mounts/rings? I'm sure you told me in your e-mail reply, but I don't remember.

Rich,
I had the same problem on one of the RUMs. I don't remember which because I've re-arranged scopes a couple of times since then. I use only the dual-dovetail mounts now for that reason. As said, lapping the rings is a must on any hard kicker. Especially if you use heavier scopes. I actually ripped the rear mounting screws out of my Winchester 94XTR in 450 Marlin when I went from a 1X3 Weaver to a 2X7 Bushnel Trophy. I'm sure with the setups you've ordered your problem will be solved.
Good luck and give us the feedback.
:grin: Greg

Rich,

I've been slowly but surely switching all my rifles over to the dual dove-tail set up. I first contributed my initial issue to too much ATV time in a lot of rocky country. I have yet to have an issue with the dual set up.

I just lapped my first set of rings last-night. Midway had the Wheeler kit on sale last month so I purchased it.
It was rather amazing to see after using the alignment tool how much and where the lapping worked.

I got the Talleys in Wednesday and was able to get them put on and the scope mounted last night. I have to say, I'm really impressed with the looks and the machine work on the Talleys, they are still extremely pricey, but I don't think my scope is going any where now.

Rich,

I have the standard Leupold rings and 2 piece bases, front dove tail with the windage screws on the rear.

They are rock solid. Let us know what you think of the Tally mounts.

JD338

I think the windage-adjustable rear mount is a bad idea. Leupold's Dual Dovetail and the Burris Double Dovetail are definitely the way to go. When mounting a scope on a rifle for which these are not available, I'll always go with a steel (aluminum only if steel can't be had) Weaver-style base and Burris Zee rings.

I know lots of guys use the windage-adjustable rear mounts and are happy with them, but why not go with a system that is clearly superior?

This may not be the case any more, but some rifles dont have the holes drilled exactly parrelel to the bore and then you end up shimming the bases for windage. That is a PITA. I would guess that is the basis for the Leuy windage adjustable mounts. Im sure you are right about the dual dovetail bases et al. They are more solid no boubt. Never "had to" lap a set of rings , but always should. Good luck with your mount. Few things more frustrating. Be curious to see what Leuy would do if you sent the destroyed ones back. CL

Back